mikesingleton
So, today I spent several hours working on my brain. I then synced with the cloud and while the sync appeared to be working fine, when it finished my long term background picture had disappeared from the Plex. My brain is rapidly growing and I am becoming more dependent upon it - I don't know if anything else got screwed up but this does not instill a whole bunch of confidence. What happened? 
pthompson
mikesingleton,

Did your background disappear from the local copy or is it just not displaying online? If the background is still displaying on your local copy have you tried syncing again since then to see if it syncs correctly? Are you sharing the Brain with anyone else? Any additional information you can share will help us troubleshoot this issue. Thank you.
mikesingleton
Yes, it disappeared from my local copy during the sync. No I am not sharing with anyone else. I have copies of the same brain local on both my desktop and my laptop but never have both on at the same time. I try to be very cautious when I sync and check that my latest thoughts updated correctly as I once had some thoughts that would not sync on my laptop until I did a force sync. 

I use my laptop brain when not connected to the internet (cloud) but when I next have access to the internet I sync the laptop to the cloud as soon as I can and before opening my desktop brain. I then start my desktop brain and update it from the cloud before making more changes. 

Maybe I am not understanding the syncing process fully - My expectation is that the latest information / thoughts added will  always transfer during the sync regardless if they are changes on my desktop or laptop computers. In my case from desktop brain to cloud then cloud to laptop brain then after changes on laptop, from laptop to cloud and cloud back to desktop.

Most times it appears to work fine, just occasionally I see anomalies like the missing background picture, thoughts that did not sync without a force sync and files that do not delete which you passed on to engineering.

(one thing I have not tried is making changes to one copy of the brain before it has been synced through the cloud with the other copy. I always make sure I am working on the latest information)

Can you describe how the syncing works, I want to be sure I am doing this right.
Brigitte
To synchronize at any time, run the Synchronize with TheBrain Cloud Services command on the File menu if you are on version 7, or the Online menu if you are on version 8, or you can also click the double arrow in the top toolbar, below the menu options. 

You can keep working while the synchronization process is continuing in the background. If there is an interruption during an initial upload of your Brain, TheBrain will offer to resume from where it was stopped the next time you synchronize.

If you make changes on either computer, you will need to remember to synchronize, or you can set your sync to "Sync this Brain automatically", and it will sync approx. every 10 minutes.

Please also check out our tutorial on "Synchronizing Your Brain to the Cloud and Across Multiple Machines": http://www.thebrain.com/support/tutorials/sharing/cloud/

Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software