shinyplastic
Hi All,

Latest versions making great progress, I was just about to move to v9 for my everyday use, and noticed that 9.0.192 does not seem to be synchronizing notes between PCs (thoughts, links, tags OK) on Windows 10, or the Cloud http://app.thebrain.com (or preview.webbrain.com)??

Whats is surprising is that notes do sync OK between PC and v9 iOS (and yes triple checked I'm in the V9 skin [smile]??

Other slight annoyance, is the visual clutter for thoughts that have websites attached but no note. A thought with notes displays the note by default (great - usually pretty blank or key info for me), but those without a though show the website (if it has one) and there usually lots of color / images which attract your eye (or maybe I'm just slow to adapt!).

It would be great either remember last tab and reopen that, of have a setting to open default to notes (even if blank) or web tab.
zenrain
shinyplastic wrote:

Other slight annoyance, is the visual clutter for thoughts that have websites attached but no note. A thought with notes displays the note by default (great - usually pretty blank or key info for me), but those without a though show the website (if it has one) and there usually lots of color / images which attract your eye (or maybe I'm just slow to adapt!).

Preferences > UI > Embedded Web browser for Web Links to disable this. Or write a quick note. [smile]

I haven't experienced the issue with notes not syncing, you might want to email support with logs.
macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.219
shinyplastic
Thanks great tip, with 10,000+ web links I wasn't looking forward to adding notes! [smile]
mcaton
Matthew,

Let's discuss the notes not syncing from V9 to V9iOS. First, are you sure you've logged into v9 on iOS. Currently, you can log in to either the v8 or the v9 server from the iOS version.  Since you may have imported your v8 Brain into v9 - the interface from the iOS app can look very similar.  You may want to log out of TheBrain for iOS and see if it says TheBrain 8 or 9 at the very top.  If you need to switch to 9 - click the "i" icon at the top.

Other ways to tell which server you are logged into - look for the sync button in an open Brain on iOS. Or, from the Brain's list, tap on the gear icon so see which server you are logged into - v9 is PREVIEW.webbrain.com

If you confirm you are on v9 of TheBrain for iOS and there are no notes syncing - let's take a closer look.  How did the notes originate?  Created from scratch on the desktop v9? Imported? etc...

Thanks,
Matt
shinyplastic
Hi Matt,

Thanks, I sent support some screen shots and the logs.

iOS v9 is syncing fine.  It's only the existing PC to PC that is not working, and the notes all came from an import of v8 brain.

And in fact any new notes are syncing, so it's really only the ~5,000 v8 home notes that don't appear on my work PC v9 (but because they do appear in iOS I'm assuming the upload went OK).  Not proxies or other network issues I can think of.
pthompson
Matthew,

I'm not seeing any email in support related to this. Can you try sending it again?
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
shinyplastic
Hi Patrick,

It was #55664 (but that is now missing), resent now #55682 thanks.
pthompson
Thanks Matthew. I see it.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
shinyplastic
Hi All,

Any progress on this I'm up to 9.0.203 and still no notes text is being displayed on syned PC's?  Anyone else seeing this?

Works on iOS so the notes text must be on the cloud, and the thoughts show a notes icon, but the Notes field appears blank.  Have also reinstalled on a new laptop since the original report, still same problem.

Brain No Notes.png 
mcaton
Matthew,

Thanks for the update and clarification.  In re-reading this thread, I see that I misunderstood your first posting about Notes on iOS - sorry for any confusion.

Let's first see if you have a notes.html file.  For this specific Thought, click on the Attachment Tab (the Plus button below the Notes tab). Next, click on Open Folder.  You should see a Notes folder.  Inside the Notes folder should be a notes.html file - do you see it? What does it look like when it opens?

Beyond this, Can you copy this same thought into another Brain and does it have the same problem? If so, can you send us an archive of that new Test Brain?

Thanks!
Matt
shinyplastic
Hi Matt,

Not a problem, I think I owe Patrick one for being dumb about the person icon login [smile]

Checked a few thoughts only found one (my root thought) with a Notes folder, and in it 0 kb notes.html file.

All other thoughts have a Notes icon, but no Notes folder in the Attachment Folder.

Considering this is a 'fresh' download and no proxy etc. issues I'm a bit stumped. 

Only one thing that is a little unusual is that IT has setup work laptop with redirect for my home directory, so the path to a thought ends up being \\server\REDIRECTED FOLDERS\user.name\Documents\Brains\U01\B01\e3a144e9-64f3-5867-9557-f1d9d2d5576d even though it's on th C drive.

If I add a new text in a Note to a though, everything works fine (syncs both ways).

Will setup a Test brain and test over the weekend.

Thanks!
Harlan
Hmmm... Very strange. Are you having trouble with other attachments also? Or just notes?

If possible, we may need to setup a web meeting to take a look at your machine to see what is going wrong.
Regards,
-Harlan
shinyplastic
Hi All,

My home V9 brain was created from a direct import of V8.

At home I can see all the notes fine, but interestingly click on the + gave the following error:

Brain V9 Error on Notes.png 

However if you edit the text first, then go to the + / Open Folder works (without error) and sync's OK too!!

TheBrain 9.0.204.0 Windows - Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
2017-07-16 19:48:27
Origin: XWT Terminal: False
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800401D3): Data on clipboard is invalid (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800401D3 (CLIPBRD_E_BAD_DATA))
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComTypes.IDataObject.GetData(FORMATETC& format, STGMEDIUM& medium)
   at System.Windows.DataObject.OleConverter.GetDataInner(FORMATETC& formatetc, STGMEDIUM& medium)
   at System.Windows.DataObject.OleConverter.GetDataFromOleHGLOBAL(String format, DVASPECT aspect, Int32 index)
   at System.Windows.DataObject.OleConverter.GetDataFromBoundOleDataObject(String format, DVASPECT aspect, Int32 index)
   at System.Windows.DataObject.OleConverter.GetData(String format, Boolean autoConvert, DVASPECT aspect, Int32 index)
   at System.Windows.DataObject.OleConverter.GetData(String format, Boolean autoConvert)
   at System.Windows.DataObject.GetData(String format, Boolean autoConvert)
   at System.Windows.Clipboard.GetDataInternal(String format)
   at System.Windows.Clipboard.GetData(String format)
   at #mKq.#BLq.#lK(TransferDataType #Vd)
   at ##.#4EB(ContentView #pZ, #elv #wov, Action #Chy, String& #KG, EventHandler& #IDB)
   at ##.#SaA(AddAttachmentWidget )
   at ##.#Wbr(AddAttachmentWidget #wov, #elv )
   at ##.#kQv(#RBc #RBc, ContentView #drw, ResolvedAttachment )
   at ##.#qRx(ContentView #nZ, #SOt #RU, Boolean )
   at ##.#JQv(ContentView #RU, Boolean )
   at TheBrain.Desktop.ContentView.#1tB(Object #qfr, EventArgs #ch)
   at #QY.#SOt.HandleButtonPressed(Object #nc, #Raq #oc)
   at Xwt.Widget.#iZp(#Raq #ch)
   at Xwt.Widget.#WWp.#h0p(#Raq #ch)
   at Xwt.WPFBackend.WidgetBackend.#PVv.#0aw()
   at ##.#VYq(#J1p #Df, Action )
Harlan
That error is not related unfortunately. It's a problem when trying to access the clipboard contents, so it will go away as soon as you copy something else into the clipboard. (It should be fixed by the next release...)

Are you having trouble with any other attachments or just notes?
Regards,
-Harlan
shinyplastic
Hi Harlan,

I'm a bit like Jerry (although not anywhere near his scale ~15K) only have web links, notes, pasted icons and shortcuts to items.

I tried to find any copied attachments, but didn't see anything immediately.

As I'm only testing, happy to create an attachment in V8, (delete and re-import brain V9) and see how it goes?

Cheers,

Matt.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software