PJMiller
Is there any way to synchronise the contents of the Brains on my laptop with the same Brains on my Desktop machine without using the cloud services?

They both have access to a NAS which provides extra disk space which appears on my desktop machine permanently and on my laptop when it is at home and connected to the LAN.

I have the Pro License only.
shinyplastic
I had pretty good luck with GoodSync or Free File Sync or AllwaySync but you *have* to be very disciplined.  I always closed PB (on both), did a one direction sync Master -> HD, then HD -> Slave, then opened on the Slave (which then became my new Master).  I used one direction rather than the 2-way sync. because it can be complex if you make a lot of changes.

I did this via an external HD for a few years from work to home before PB really worked with a corporate proxy.

But let me reiterate you *must* be careful, if the sync doesn't complete, or if you get confused which way you are synchronizing then you are going to lose information, or worse damage you brain (usually a Rebuild will fix).  I highly recommend regular (e.g. weekly) backup brainzips.

In the end they solved the proxy issue around PB7?, and it's just so easy via the cloud [smile] that the cost is worth it.

Good luck!
PJMiller
Synchronisation of the files within the brains are not a problem, I have several applications which will take care of this.

I had assumed that the synchronisation performed by the brain with its cloud services was more sophisticated than this, synchronising individual thoughts if they were modified on either computer after the last sync, that way you only get problems if the same thought was modified on both computers.

If the synchronisation done by the brain cloud services is not this sophisticated and is just a straight copy then I can use my curren solution, which is to only use the brain on one computer at once and synchronise the files when I get back to my desktop.

Thanks for your help.
zenrain
Synchronization using WebBrain is more sophisticated, and will synchronize the latest changes made, so handles TheBrain being used on multiple machines. TheBrain database is very complex, and it's not advisable to use dropbox to synchronize the database files. See this post by Harlan for more information.

I will add that a long time ago (before WebBrain was introduced), I used to use DropBox to store TheBrain database and use it on multiple machines. It did get corrupted, and in an area of my database that wasn't often used, so I didn't discover it until months later. I highly recommend against using that method.
macOS 10.12.4
TheBrain 9.0.169
metta
I agree wholeheartedly with ZenRain.

If you rely on your brain(s) to manage critical information, the cloud service is well worth the modest price of $15/month (even less is paid annually):
-- http://www.thebrain.com/store/

FWIW, I also create almost daily brain zips of my mega brain to provide the option of retrieving lost information that I might not notice until days, weeks or even months later.
pthompson
A word of caution and as zenrain mentioned, we highly suggest that you do not use any simple file syncing services such as DropBox, Google Drive, etc. to sync Brains between computers. It is perfectly fine to link to files on these services for attachments within a Brain, but it is never a good idea to sync a Brain database itself using these services. The post made by Harlan that zenrain shared is a great explanation of why.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
PJMiller
On the brain cloud services FAQ page http://www.thebrain.com/products/cloud/cloud-faq/ the table implies (row 9) that I can synchronise brains between 2 PC's for free without the subscribing to the Pro Cloud Services.

Is this teue?

If so it solves the problem of synchronisation between my desktop machine and my Laptop.
metta
Free cloud access and syncing works beautifully.

However, if you're talking about row #9, column #2, your attachments will not be synced between computers. (That option is only available with Pro accounts.)
pthompson
Yes, you can sync Brains, but attachments will not sync.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software