Jerryseadog
I have desktop TB9  beta using a local address and a dire warning not to network, an iOS TB9 beta running on iPad and syncing to a server address (a) and an iOS TB9 beta on iPhone syncing to a different server address (b)! Is there any way to sync all three, or is just what I have to put up with until beta testing is complete? 
Harlan
Unless you have changed the settings (which isn't really possible unless you have your own TB9 server) the iPhone, iPad, macOS, and Windows clients all sync to the same server location (preview.webbrain.com).

On the desktop (and on mobile devices for that matter), your Brain is stored locally so that you can access it quickly and without needing a network connection. The sync process keeps everything in sync across your devices by sending changes back and forth with the version that is in the cloud.

Please explain what is causing you to think there is problem so we can clarify it.
Regards,
-Harlan
Jerryseadog
Thanks for the response, Harlan.

On the desktop I added a smaller TB9 brain “Family History9” to my core TB9 brain “Jerryseadog9”. It works perfectly and I have re-named it “Jerryseadog9a” and synced it to the cloud.

On both iPad and iPhone I can only see “Jerryseadog9” and “Family History9” - not the combined version “Jerryseadog9a". I can add thoughts on iPad or iPhone to “Jerryseadog9", sync to the cloud, and the new thoughts appear in the correct place on the desktop TB9 “Jerryseadog9a” but I cannot see the merged brain on iPhone or iPad.

Best regards

Jerry
Jerryseadog
I can now see the TB9 "Jerryseadog9a" and have opened it, but it still missing the added data.
mcaton
Jeremy,

Just to clarify, you created the Jerryseadog9a Brain by creating a New Brain on your desktop and then merging in your Family History and Original Jerryseadog9 Brains - correct?  Were they merged in via a .brz file from TheBrain 9 or did you have a version 8 copy that you used for the merge?

Now that you have Jerryseadog9a on your desktop, you've synced to the v9 server (preview.webbrain.com) and you see this Brain in your Brains list on your mobile iOS devises - still correct?

When you download a local copy on your mobile devises - what data is missing?  Thoughts, Notes, attachments, etc...

Thank you,
Matt 
Jerryseadog
Hi Matt,
I imported the TB9 Family History brain via the File Import menu not a TB8 brain. I cannot see any of the imported thoughts or attachments on my iOS devices and have tried searching for thoughts and attachments - nothing comes up. If I add non family history thoughts on any device it syncs ok and can be seen on any other device. 

Thanks

Jerry
Jerryseadog
So, is there any way I can merge two TB9 brains that gives one brain that is visible and syncs correctly between my desktop and iOS devices? 
Jerryseadog
Or is there a way to see my successfully merged desktop TB9 brain on my iOS devices?
Brigitte
Hi Jerry,

TheBrain 9 iOS is currently in beta. I believe you have already signed up for TheBrain 9 iOS Beta. You will need to sync your version 9 Brain. To access the new features and sync your Brains from version 9, you must select the "i" icon in the top left corner to switch to "Version 9" from the login screen.

Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies
Jerryseadog
Jerryseadog wrote: Hi Matt,
I imported the TB9 Family History brain via the File Import menu not a TB8 brain. I cannot see any of the imported thoughts or attachments on my iOS devices and have tried searching for thoughts and attachments - nothing comes up. If I add non family history thoughts on any device it syncs ok and can be seen on any other device. 

Thanks

Jerry
Hi Brigitte, as you can see I am correctly using the iOS9 Beta and it is syncing 75% of the desktop TB9 correctly and in both directions. It is only the merged part of my desktop brain " family history" is not visible on the iOS Beta. 
Jerryseadog
OK Team, to reproduce the error and show the problem simply, this is what I did today:

Create a Desktop TB9 v 9.0.205.0 New Brain called Test1
Add 2 child thoughts "Test1 ThoughtA" and "Test1 ThoughtB"
Sync to the cloud

Open this Brain on iPad TB9 iOS Beta v 9.0.0.3 - Yes, there it is and we can see the 2 child thoughts

Create a Desktop TB9 v 9.0.205.0 New Brain called Test2
Add 2 child thoughts "Test2 ThoughtA" and "Test2 ThoughtB"
Sync to the cloud

Open this Brain on iPad TB9 iOS Beta v 9.0.0.3 - Yes, there it is

Back to the Desktop and with Test2 brain open go to File and Backup to Brain Archive to create a .brz file locally

Open brain Test1 and select File Import... then select Add to "Test1" and Link to "Test1"
From the menu select Brain Archive (brz) then using the Select File box find and choose "Test2.brz"

Once you have successfully imported Test2 into Test1, add it as a child to the Home Thought "Test1" 

You now have a merged brain - Sync it to the cloud.

Go back to your iPad and re-sync Test1. Look for the merged Test2 portion. Is it there? No!
With Test1 still open, Search for Test2. Is it there? No!
Search for "Test2 ThoughtA". Is it there? No!

That is a simple way to show you my problem. 
mcaton
Jeremy,

Thank you for the step by step instructions.  We'll be working through this tonight to verify, document and research.

Thanks!
Matt
mcaton
Jeremy,

I'm afraid I'm not seeing the same results. I followed your same instructions, step by step and I DO see the new thoughts (that were imported into Test1 and then synced from the desktop.  Are you sure you tapped the sync icon in your iOS Brain?

I'll continue with a few more tests to be sure. Also, I tested from an iPhone, rather than an iPad.  Shouldn't make a difference, but that is one variable in our separate tests.

Thanks,
Matt
Harlan
Just to be clear: Renaming a brain does not make it in into a different Brain. The name of the brain is just a property. Unless you assign a new Guid for a Brain, it is still the same brain and will sync to other copies of that brain, regardless of what they are named. The brain's name will in fact be synced also.

In your example, Test1 must be synced from the computer where you performed the merge in order to send those changes (the results of the merge) to the cloud. You must then open Test1 from the iPad and sync again in order to bring those changes down from the cloud.

Please try using the web client (https://app.thebrain.com) to view what is actually on the cloud and let us know what you find. (I should note here that the web client is not yet reliable - it may not display notes and attachments, so please ignore that aspect of it, but it should show you which thoughts are on the cloud.)
Regards,
-Harlan
Jerryseadog
Hi Harlan,

Thanks for persevering with this! We are seeing different things. I don't think the iPhone/iPad is an issue - I see the same sorry outcome on both. I understand the renaming doesn't change the brain. That's why I didn't bother in my worked example.

Syncing from Desktop: I use the cloud icon and get this: Screenshot 2017-07-21 08.02.48.png 

On my iPad/iPhone I use the circular arrows icon to the right of the "Pin this thought" icon. 

On the web client I only find the unmarked version of Test1 thus:

Screenshot 2017-07-21 08.06.23.png 
As you can see I was carrying out an unsuccessful search for Test2 in this screenshot.

The only other difference I can think of is that I use an iMac:

Screenshot 2017-07-21 08.23.09.png 

I really understand syncing, I followed the same Test1/Test2 profile where I included syncing on both devices, but I am seeing different outcomes.

Best regards

Jerry

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software