JosefBetancourt
Information automation is important.   One technology used is syndication.  The Brain should also provide syndication thoughts.

A Syndicated Thought contains an RSS subscription and required subscription information such as update frequency and so forth.  It is similar to a Virtual Thought in that its content is dynamic.

Scenario:
I am learning a new scripting language, Groovy.  So my Groovy thought has the usual children, jumps and parents. But, I also want to keep informed with news and techniques found in Groovy related blogs.  For this, I add Groovy to my Google Reader.  But, what I really want is to get at  the blogs via the same Groovy Brain thought.  Creating a thought link for each blogs works (what I do now), but is not efficient.  Alternatively, I can create a thought that links into an external RSS reader for the respective feed (ex.  http://www.google.com/reader/view/user/-/label/groovy).

Design
There are two designs that I can think of so far for using Syndicated Thoughts.

1.  An ST shows some decoration like a little light bulb icon when it has new items (via the syndicated read).  When the user makes the ST current, the new items and existing older items are shown as child thoughts.  The child thought names are the item title and the thought label is a fragment of the item snippet.   Mouseover the child thoughts shows the snippets in the Notes windows or a pop-up window.  Of course, the child list will not continue to grow and is based on the syndication attributes of the ST.

2.  An ST again indicates that it has new items.  This time when the thought has focus, a syndication window will show its entries.  This approach would probably allow easier integration of an external plug-in RSS Reader for providing the syndication feature.

One important issue is that since a syndicated thought can be anywhere in the Brain (associated with its relevent thoughts) the user will not  know  that  there  is  new  content.  Perhaps the syndication window when accessed can have a list of updated ST.  Another option is to use a syndication toolbar or widget.

Contraindication
Then again, this may not be a good idea for the PersonalBrain since it duplicates what other systems may do better.  It also, puts even more processing demands and may open up security concerns.

Brain syndication, of course, is not a new idea.  I mentioned this years ago in an old Brain related forum.  Still seems like a good idea to me.

References:
Atom Publishing Protocol:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atom_%28standard%29

---- Josef

Harlan
Integrating RSS feeds and "what's new" notifications is something we are thinking about for the future, but as of yet it's not high on the list. Thanks for your analysis Josef - we'll take your ideas into consideration as we get closer to this type of functionality.
Regards,
-Harlan
JosefBetancourt
Just cause I mentioned the Groovy language in original post.....

I was reading about a forthcoming version of another product I use and it  mentions that nodes could have scripts attached.  These scripts would be in the Groovy language ( a Java extension).

Not sure how this could ever be applicable to the Brain.   Lets see, a Thought has script attached (right in the script window), when another thought is linked to it or created (like child), the script is evaluated and it has access to the Brain datastructure.  So, it can do things based on this event such as: access node collection, broadcast to other Brains, email, check calendar, perform work flow operations, and so forth. 

Just a thought.

--- Josef

Harlan
BrainEKP has a concept called "knowledge triggers" which are small scripts executed each time a thought is clicked. These scripts can create new links, new thoughts, etcetera.
Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
Harlan wrote:
BrainEKP has a concept called "knowledge triggers" which are small scripts executed each time a thought is clicked. These scripts can create new links, new thoughts, etcetera.

Yet another feature for the PB "Rocket Science Edition"!
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software