dcb_oz
With 5.5.0.3 I have the default background colours. The tags tab has gone from white to black and now the light colours can be read but the dark can't.

Black text regardless of tag colours on a white background, the default in 5.0 worked perfectly. Now I have to fiddle with colours that were meaningful to me just to read them.

This strikes me as feature creep for the sake of being pretty and non-functional. Offer people colours but keep the defaults simple.
dcb_oz

Further. A white tag shows in the tags menu, but not in the tags pane. In the latter no text is showing for the tag.

mbaas
I think it actually is a good idea to display tags as close as possible to what you will see in the plex when applying them. After all, you've picked these colors for a reason...

Yet - just using the configured thought-background-color alone isn't enough and doesn't help readability - the tag-count and names should then use the default thought-colour. But these are known issues according to the release notes, so let's hope 5.5.0.4 won't be too far away

NorthFarm

I also don't like the colored backgrounds. Mbass you are right that we picked the colors for a reason, but there are two ways to display them. As foreground and background colors. I have my thought colors as background color and not the text color and I don't feel it helps me finding the thought faster because I don't associate the colored thought type text in the drop down with the background color of the thoughts in the plex with that type. I would also like a toggle in the preferences allowing us to have windows default colors in the drop down for both tags and thought types.

Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 8.0.2.2 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_121
...and now testing TheBrain 9.0.158.0 :-)
Shiiko
Showing the tag colors in the tag window is a nice idea but in my case the dark blue font does not work against the black background for tags that don't have a set color. 
Click image for larger version - Name: Tags.jpg, Views: 214, Size: 101.24 KB
dro
So I need to change my tag colors now? I can't see them, so how do I do that?

dro
Never mind, I figured it out. Definitely dumb to have the default black text on a default black background.

dro wrote: So I need to change my tag colors now? I can't see them, so how do I do that?

Moe
The Tags pane background color can now be controlled by changing the color for Background,Center in Options > Preferences > Colors (Tab).

Best regards,
Moe

Shiiko
Thanks, Moe. Except that I have been using a completely black plex for a number of years and now I have to change that color (or at least the central portion) to modify the tags background window.   These should be separate controls.
zenrain
You could always take a picture of a black screen and use it as wallpaper.
Well as a workaround.

Moe, it may be a good idea to use the Thoughts, Text color in Preferences for the default tag text color.
This should (theoretically) ensure that tags without a color should stand out against the plex background color.

Edit: This color should be applied to the tag count also.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
D
Bingo! Exactly...you will see it in the next release...

zenrain wrote: Moe, it may be a good idea to use the Thoughts, Text color in Preferences for the default tag text color.
This should (theoretically) ensure that tags without a color should stand out against the plex background color.
dyslucksia
Like dro, I too am running Windows XP and use a black background in the Plex. Even so, the black background of the Tabs panel is independent of the plex color. The default color for tag names is black, on a black background! What annoys me is that once again, a bug as obvious as this has been dumped on us without so much as a "known issues" list.

I agree with zenrain that the default color for tag names should be that of untyped thoughts. It should not be up to us to have to offer obvious solutions to obvious problems.

In addition to this, I see nothing's been done so far about this issue with the tags pane.

And, "D", who the heck are you to be able to state so confidently that it will be fixed in the next release? I don't see you listed as a moderator. If you're one of PB's Developers, please declare your interest.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Harlan
Note that the release notes for 5.5.0.3 already state that the tag colors are a known issue:

·         The tags panel background as color uses the plex background color

o    Known issue: default tag color, selected tag background color, and number color are not correct

Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
Shiiko
mbaas wrote: I understand the prob... and feel with you. But that's why every beta comes with a health-warning, that sort of bugs is supposed to be in there, and normally we should be able to go back to 5.0 and work with the backup...

Unless we become hooked on the new features, of course

Cornan
What a shock I got when I opened PB 5.5 (5.5.0.6 / Windows) for the first time (see sample below).  Apparently the Tags panel was using the "Center, background" color, which I must not use for anything (I use tiled backgrounds exclusively).

Then, when I set the Tags background to correspond to my Windows background color (say, why can't I just select "Windows background" from the updated color dialogs?), I get the usual low contrast issue (that runs throughout PB) for tags using the default text color.

This wasn't the right change to make - while the color selection dialogs were a bit clunky, what I'm really waiting for is a release that decouples the assumptions in the color scheme, leading to difficulty maintaining foreground (text) /background contrast while still having some variety.

In particular, PLEASE give us a separate "by thought" / "by type" text color to go along with the configurable background color, and add a separate "Tag text color" so that it can be configured to contrast with the plex background. 

These simple fixes will let us maintain contrast in our thoughts and greatly increase color options.

Click image for larger version - Name: A_-_lurid_default.png, Views: 52, Size: 17.63 KB Click image for larger version - Name: B_-_low_contrast.png, Views: 52, Size: 19.33 KB

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software