wordmuse
I use tags and types panes extensively in TB8.  Have they persisted into TB9?  If so, how do I show them.  The choice ought to be in the View menu - or so it seems to me.

- Bal
Harlan
Thanks for the feedback. In TB9 these are replaced by the tags and types popups in the toolbar. Also accessible via Ctrl/Cmd + Y / G (tYpes / taGs). We know this is not the same as the panes in TB8... There is already a pending feature request to make a more permanent display of tags/types similar to that in TB8.
Regards,
-Harlan
wordmuse
A more permanent display will be very useful to me. Good to know it's been requested.
- Bal
zenrain
Just to point out that in v9 once you have summoned the popups (both in the pop-up and when assigning) you can start typing the Type or Tag name to filter.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
nordak

Speaking of summoning the Type/Tag popups:

It'd be handy to right-click on individual Type or Tags in these lists for options like Activate/assign, Edit Properties, Delete. A subset of the complete lists of options when right clicking the Activated Type or Tag in the plex. 
mcaton
Nordak,

Thanks, I'll document this request.

Matt
Cerebrum
Matt, just so I understand, right now the only way to add a new Type or Tag is to add it to a Thought, right? IOW, there's no "Master List" that can be edited, nor is there a way of viewing all Types or all Tags in the Plex. 

Also, if I view Types in the Plex, I can rearrange the hierarchy of nested Types, but I can't add a Type below an existing Type. Any attempt to do so will result in a new Thought assigned to the Type.

Anything I'm missing here?
zenrain
Quote: Also, if I view Types in the Plex, I can rearrange the hierarchy of nested Types, but I can't add a Type below an existing Type. Any attempt to do so will result in a new Thought assigned to the Type.

You can't create a new thought from a type and have it create a new Sub-Type. 
However, when a Type is the active thought, you can add an existing Type as a Sub-Type by typing it's name and selecting it from the list.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
Cerebrum
Thanks zenrain, that works. Unfortunately, this means that I have to remember the exact name of the Type (which is a bit difficult when there are several Thoughts and Types that have similar names) and there's nothing in the list that identifies something as being a Type vs. a Thought, unless the Type is a sub-Type, in which case there's something like Subtype < Type.

Also, if I type a few letters to bring up a list and then I decide not to add a Type, and I click on the Plex, a new thought is created with the name consisting of those few letters. I can avoid this by remembering to press "Esc" instead of clicking on the Plex.

And, I realize that, not only can I have thoughts about Thoughts, I can type a Type's name ... [sneaky]
zenrain
Quote: And, I realize that, not only can I have thoughts about Thoughts, I can type a Type's name ... [sneaky]

[eek]
[rofl]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
lunatrix
Yes please - a good way to envision and arrange/re-arrange/add/delete/apply/... types (and tags) - preferably allowing collapsible hierarchical arrangement - would be AWESOME!
wordmuse
I am resurrecting this because I sorely needed the TB8 style tags and types panes this evening.

I want to be able to create a number of tags without relating them to any thought in particular. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to do that in TB9.  I think this is unfortunate.

Isn't there some way to bring back the tags and types panes. They were so useful to me in TB8!

- Bal
Visud
wordmuse wrote:
I want to be able to create a number of tags without relating them to any thought in particular. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to do that in TB9.  I think this is unfortunate.

One workaround is to make a temporary thought [search box: tmp; press flash symbol to make a lonely thought] and add multiple new tought tags to it by pressing Enter and command-G and typing: "tag1;tag2;tag3;tag4". Then you can forget the temporary thought.

Markku
wordmuse
I guess I can do that. It's not my preference, but it's serviceable.

Thanks for the idea.

- Bal
metta

I am totally with you on this, wordmuse.

I am one of the users who was keenly disappointed by the loss of the advanced tools layout in TB8, and the full permanent display provided by the "Type" and "Tag" tabs it included.

I am also immensely relieved to know that a more permanent display of types and tags will be forthcoming.

Many, many thanks, Harlan! :-)

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software