rengel
Suggestion:
Add an option:
Show 'Tags text' only, when there is no icon.
Reinhard, TB 10.0.36.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
mcaton
Have you tried adding a 'clear' icon to your icon directory?  Your icon directory is located (by default in Windows) in C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Local\TheBrain\Icons. You can create a new folder in this directory with all of your favorite or most commonly used icons. We suggest a 48 x 48 pixel png file.  I've attached a clear image that you can used to this message. Assign it to a tag and 'presto' no icon... just text.

Thanks,
Matt
Click image for larger version - Name: clear.png, Views: 29, Size: 975 Bytes
rengel
Sorry, Matt, I should have shown a picture:
TagsIcons.png 

My reasoning: If I attach an icon to a thought, the meaning of the icon (= its text) is clear to me. So I don't need the additional text. The text is needed when only the default generic tag icon is shown. This reduces screen clutter  a little bit.

metta
Thanks, Matt, for your suggestion re: the use of a clear icon.

I'd like to test this option, but I don't see the attached clear icon to which you were referring.

Am I missing something?

= Update =

Found it! Apologies for not looking closely enough. 😏

Perhaps you could highlight the location of the icon in your post by framing it with a bit of text on either side?
rengel
Just what is a 'clear' icon?

metta
A "clear" icon is transparent. It contains no content and will not obscure the background against which it is displayed.

For example, on a black thought the clear icon will allow the black background to show through; on a white thought, the white background will show through.
rengel
Thank you!
Now I understand: It is an icon without a foregorund picture and an alpha channel of 0%. That's easy. But I never read the term 'clear icon' before.

See https://www.techopedia.com/definition/1945/alpha-channel:
The alpha channel controls the transparency or opacity of a color. Its value can be represented as a real value, a percentage, or an integer: full transparency is 0.0, 0% or 0, whereas full opacity is 1.0, 100% or 255, respectively.

Alas, this is not what I suggested in my post. I meant:
If there is an icon:
   always show only the icon, never show the the text (not even on hover)
   # It is the essence of a (good) icon to be understandable without a text.
else:
   always show the text.

metta
Understood. I realized you were asking for a completely different feature.
Matt just offered another (different) option that I thought might be useful.
Hope he can also document your specific feature request.

In the meantime, thanks for your technical clarification about transparencies. FWIW, I think the term "clear" that Matt used wasn't intended be technical -- just descriptive of how it behaves.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software