nicobi
Hi.

It appears that TB 10 currently with GUI operations and an empty (!) brain is a magnitude slower than TB9.1, which itsself is a magnitude slower than TB7 in Java.

This is on a Macbook Pro 4,1 2,5 GHz Core2Duo with 6 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 512 MB discrete GPU, macOS 10.11 El Capitan.

There is a thread already about GUI slowness in TB9.1. I do not have any Pro Application that experiences this sort of lack of GUI reaction. Logic Pro X has a much more demanding GUI, as have REAPER or FCPX or Davinci Resolve 15. Yet all behave smooth. I don't know what the problem is, but it appears that the graphic engine in native TB is fundamentally flawed at least with macOS. Yet the used machine is more than capable of running more complex GUIs than TB has to offer.

In this state TB is unusable.

Thanks for listening.
kbunders
I’ve got the same observation on Windows 10 with my dell xps13
Windows 10 | Beta testing TheBrain 9.1.16.0
mcaton
Nico,

Thanks for sharing. Is it possible to post a video of your interaction with TheBrain 10 and capture the slowness you are experiencing?

Thank you,
Matt
dlorde
I find TB 10 is very slow, particularly pasting thoughts, but not noticeably slower than TB 9 (using Windows 10 with high-spec PC: 1.5 TB disk space, 24GB RAM, and Intel i7-6700K CPU@4GHz) .

It's frustrating when compared to TB 8, but I'm getting used to it - although I do often think twice about whether adding a new thought in TB 9 or 10 will break my train of thought, which never happened with TB 8. 
Harlan
We appreciate the feedback but it’s not actionable unless you can tell us specifically what you are seeing as being slow. Please post details so we can investigate.

Generally speaking 10 should be faster than 9 except that it is still in beta and has not been tested as extensively so there may be undiscovered issues. The differences between 9 and 10 are marginal. 

In comparing 6/7/8 to 9/10, they are 100% different. 6/7/8 is Java based while 9/10 is native and was completely rewritten so there will be many differences.

Due to changes to the underlying database and processing algorithms, for very large brains, 9/10 is an order of magnitude faster in just about everything. Also for operations that are long running such as sync, backup, import, startup, export, etcetera 9/10 should also be much faster.
Regards,
-Harlan
nicobi
Harlan wrote:
We appreciate the feedback but it’s not actionable unless you can tell us specifically what you are seeing as being slow. Please post details so we can investigate.

Yes, you are right. But as I cannot describe it, I must "screencast" it. See next post.

Harlan wrote:
Generally speaking 10 should be faster than 9 except that it is still in beta and has not been tested as extensively so there may be undiscovered issues. The differences between 9 and 10 are marginal.

Harlan, I understand that. But you are probably referencing Database-performance here. But the OP exclusively deals with GUI.

Harlan wrote:
In comparing 6/7/8 to 9/10, they are 100% different. 6/7/8 is Java based while 9/10 is native and was completely rewritten so there will be many differences.

Thank you for clarifying, but that is already clear and this is not part of the enquiry. But don't you admit that if the GUI of TB Java is a lot snappier than the GUI of TB NATIVE on the exact same hardware then there arise questions ? Your new database might have a ridiculous speed ;-) , but if the GUI does not reflect then this is a problem.

Harlan wrote:
Due to changes to the underlying database and processing algorithms, for very large brains, 9/10 is an order of magnitude faster in just about everything. Also for operations that are long running such as sync, backup, import, startup, export, etcetera 9/10 should also be much faster.

Yes, well done, but this has not been questioned.

Thank you for listening.
nicobi
mcaton wrote:
Nico,

Thanks for sharing. Is it possible to post a video of your interaction with TheBrain 10 and capture the slowness you are experiencing?

Thank you,
Matt

mcaton, eventually this is the way to go. I am preparing a screencast, but I might take some time to set it properly up as I am busy in projects currently.

Thank you.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software