metta
Could someone from TheBrain please confirm what happens to local (internal) brain links and online (webbrain and web client) links when the GUID of a brain is changed under the following 3 circumstances:

(1) How a GUID change affects local and web thought links in TB8

(2) How a GUID change affects local and web thought links in the CURRENT version of TB9

(3) How a GUID change will affects local and web thought links in TB9 once the engineers have standardized the link formats

It would be very helpful to know what this impact will be in terms of planning future brain projects.

Specifically, it would help immensely to know if/when local and web brain links might be broken in either the web client and/or the local desktop brain as a result of a GUID change.
metta
After thinking about this a bit more, I realize there is another set of GUID and import related questions:
  • Does the GUID of a brain change when it is imported from TB into TB9?
  • In addition, does TB9 import process preserve or break any of the following links:
    • internal (local) links from TB8 placed in notes and/or as thought attachments
    • web brain/web client links from TB8 placed in notes and/or as thought attachments
    • web brain/web client links placed in external locations (web sites, blogs, forums, etc.)
    • thought attachment links in TB8

Again, I just want to be able to anticipate the impact on any TB8 brain links (both internal and incoming) after initiating an import into TB9.
metta
Just now discovered Mark Trexler (Climate Web) has been thinking along the same lines and asking similar questions.
zenrain
If you have both versions installed, why not try it? I think I did a test very early in the release cycle and it didn’t work and reported it. I can’t remember if it was fixed or not, but it would be easy to find out.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
metta
Did try an import, and the help desk ticket has already been opened.

This post is a result of the fact that some note links survived the import and others did not, and it is not (yet) clear why the results were inconsistent.

In addition, other's have reported problems with attachment links not surviving the import process -- and I also had internal note links break in the past after making a GUID change in TB8.

Hence my desire to get big picture clarification about what should be the expected impact on links with TB9 imports and GUID changes.

With this information, I'll have a better idea of what breakage is unavoidable, what breaks are bugs, and how to plan ahead to minimize the risk of breaks occurring in future brain projects.
zenrain
That makes sense. And thank you for clarifying your results, that will help other in the forum. 😊
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software