Steeph
Just ran TB 8.0.0.3 for a quick test, closed it and started TB7 again for which I have Pro license.
However, for some reason I was now logged out and had to dig deep to find my pwd again. Also the Advanced Toolbar layout that I always use was gone after I logged in again.

Can you please make sure TB8 does NOT interfere with the TB7 license in whatever way? It's annoying at best and potentially catastrophic that a newer version messes up configuration and licenses of an older version.

Thanks
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
pthompson
Steeph,

TheBrain 8 and TheBrain 7 use the same license information because they are not meant to be differentiated in any way. A Brain License is a Brain License and is meant to be used on any version where it legally applies. Our licensing system changed with TheBrain 7. We no longer use serial numbers for each new release of TheBrain and instead use a licensing system that simply checks if the version you log in to can be activated with your current license.

Once TheBrain 8 is released, there should be no reason to go back to TheBrain 7 and TheBrain 8 should inherit all preferences of your previous version.
Steeph
Hi Patrick

Well, unless my TB7 license is valid for TB8, it should be differentiated, but as far as I know I have to buy an upgrade for TB8. Correct me if I'm wrong please. So there is a very good reason to go back to TB7 in case I do not want to upgrade (yet). And in any case, it's simply not possible to upgrade as it is still in beta.

Anyway, if it is differentiated or not, upgrade or not, that was not my point. Whenever I use TB8 it should not mess with license info on my PC for TB7, it should store the info in a different place or different way so the 2 versions can coexist without influencing each other. Certainly it should not REMOVE the valid TB7 license.

Regarding the preferences, it is very good that it inherits them from previous versions, I like that. But again, it should not influence older version, but store the prefs in different place/file orso.

Thanks,
Steeph
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
pthompson
Steeph,

As I stated in my first response, TheBrain 7 and TheBrain 8 use the same license information, an info7a.bin license file, so you can go back and forth between TheBrain 7 and TheBrain 8 as long as your license is valid for both. This is how our new licensing system is meant to work. If you log in to TheBrain 8 with a license that is not valid for TheBrain 8, you can go back to TheBrain 7, but you will have to login and reactivate TheBrain 7.
Steeph
Hi Patrick

I understand that, but I still find it strange. I'm a software developer myself and one of the basic principles is always that new developments should never influence existing live functionality. Our test department would not approve of something like this and even if they did, our customers would certainly object and force us to fix it. Can easily be fixed by instating an info8a.bin license file as well.

Steeph
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
pthompson
Steeph,

I will forward your suggestions over to our engineers. Thanks.
Steeph
Excellent.

Thanks,
Steeph
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software