metta
I've been having recurring problems with images in notes not syncing properly and/or disappearing. (Multiple incidents have been reported to Support.)

Has anyone else been having issues with image syncing and/or image display in the web client?

I've been wondering if this problem is limited to my brain installations, or if it might be more widespread.
tomcal123
Yes, it happens often enough that I've made changes to my workflow.  I used to use the "On this day" feature in OneDrive photos to find old photos to copy into TB on today's thought.  It took some time to do that and then occasionally,  they would disappear.  Enough so, that I stopped copying photos into TB.  It seemed to happen mainly when there were a few photos copied into the thought.  Seemed to happen less often with only one photo.  When I check the thought's history afterthey disappeared, they show no indication that there ever was a photo in there but I can still see the "broken" icon for the photo in notes.
metta
Thanks for confirming, Tom. Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with this, too. Doubly sorry to hear this has hampered your ability to collect and store photos in TB. (Sounded like a nice feature in your brain.)
😕

In my case, I've only been using one image per thought, and it has still been enough of a problem that it's pretty much ground my new public brain project to halt -- that along with some other concerns I have about the display and performance of links in notes in the web client.

Results here with the missing images are much the same. Most of the time the "broken" icon appears when the image disappears -- and sometimes the image in the web client disappears even when the image is still available in my desktop brain.

Quite puzzling....
metta

FYI, I did recently get an update from support on my image syncing issue.

Apparently a Windows (only) bug was causing images in notes to disappear if the images were copied in from another thought. I understand the engineering team is now troubleshooting this bug and, until it is eradicated, the workaround is simply to make sure images are copied from the original source, instead of from another thought.

@tomcal123 ~ I realize this won't solve the other (different) problems you and I have been having with importing images from other sources, but I thought I'd mention this just in case it might be helpful to you or others.

tomcal123
@Metta - thank you for the update
Harlan
We have a fix for this issue coming in the next release (9.0.254).
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thanks for the update, Harlan.

There are actually 2 different issues here:
> Images disappearing when they are copied in from another thought note.
> Images disappearing when they are copied in from another external source (original image, web site, etc.).

Will the anticipated fix address both scenarios?
Harlan
The fix addresses problems with images copied from other thought notes.

We are also working on images not being downloaded when copied from a web site. (Again, this is a Windows only issue and actually the images don't disappear - they are just not downloaded locally.) This is a different issue.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thanks for confirming, Harlan. Appreciate the update.
tomcal123
Harlan, Metta,

Just to confirm the problem I'm running into, below is a photo with the same active thought in both the Web Brain and Windows Desktop.  I pasted the photo into the note from the clipboard.  I use the Evernote web clipper often to copy part of a screen to the clipboard and then paste it into a thought's note.  Will this issue be addressed with 9.0.254?  The image is missing from the iOS app, as well.  

Chrome.  Windows 10. The Brain 9.0.253.0

Tom

ScreenClip.png 
mcaton
Tom,

The 9.0.254 build is not ready for internal testing YET, but I'll make a note to test with the web clipper as well.

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
9.0.254 is up now and fixes a variety of issues include those related to notes with images that have been copied and pasted on Windows.

If you have a note that is not showing images on the web/mobile clients:
  • Install 9.0.254
  • Using the desktop client, navigate to the thought with the note
  • Images that are located in inappropriate locations (not local or local but in a different folder) should be detected and copied into the correct place
  • Repeat for each thought where the problem happens
  • Sync from the desktop client
  • Open in the web and the images should be there
  • Open in the mobile client and sync and the images should be there also
If this fixes the problems as we hope, future images inserted as a result of copy/paste will not suffer from this.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Many thanks, Harlan! Very much appreciate these image fixes.

Images in my notes have now been updated (so far so good), and all my support tickets related to images in notes have now been closed. Ã°Å¸â„¢â€š

Will open a new ticket if any new image issues arise. Thanks again! 
tomcal123
Harlan,

Now the image is missing from the desktop as well.  Below is a screenshot which should be the same as the one above  from yesterday.  I left the Thought History window open.  At 9:13 and 9:18 it says, "Changed note".  I didn't make any changes to the note, although I may have clicked in the note window.  9:13 was the time I navigated to the thought after downloading 9.0.254 and following your instructions above.  Since I hadn't navigated to that thought before then, I don't know if the desktop image disappeared yesterday or today.

ScreenClipMissingImage.png    
metta
Spoke too soon here, unfortunately.

I just now submitted a new help desk ticket for broken images in notes in a brand new thought created AFTER updating to v254.

(FYI, the text and images were cut and pasted as one unit from a recent post here in the forum -- and I have not been able to manually replace the images in the notes even by cutting and pasting from the original images.)

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software