Use case:
Taking notes on a topic and want to store it as tabular data.

I run into this every time I use thebrain and it gets in the way for me.

I know that I can link out to a word doc, or excel, or a google doc (It looks like that is working now)
However, I like being able to take notes without having to open an external app or link for most things. The reason is it's just plain quicker, less clicks and less cumbersome.

I use other tools where the text editor has a WSIWYG option and it supports tables. JIRA comes to mind. The tickets are written in WIKI notation but it has a WSIWYG add on.

It's just that tables are what really differentiate a text file from a rich text file for me.

Maybe add a wiki engine in place of what is behind the scenes now? If you do that  I wouldn't even mind having to hand code the symbols in the WIKI markup language.

Memory on Paper
Hi Mike,

We are working on adding tables to the notes. I have added your voice to the feature request, and let our team know that this feature is one of the more frequently requested ones.

Cheers, Sean
+1 for Tables in Notes
Also, just to be explicitly clear, tables in notes will be most helpful if they are responsive on mobile devicesin the web client and on the desktop.
+1 on tables in Notes
TheBrain Pro Edition | Java 1.8.0 build 161 | Windows 10
Beta testing TheBrain 9

Hello guys,

I understand that some brain users are not happy with the available Note Editor.
I agree with that and have made some research about the currently situation about an editor that could be imbedded in thebrain 9 in stead of the currently used tinymce.

The best choice a found is ckeditor.

I have made  a brainzip about the study.
Could you please give me your comments ?

In attachment the brainzip: Editors 2018-02-04.brz

@gery51 ~

Like you, I am one of the users who has been disappointed with the current limitations in the notes editor, especially compared with all the feature options we had in TB8 notes editor (e.g., tables, style and font controls, and the option to view and edit the source code).

I also like many of the features I've seen in the CKEditor.

However, my understanding is that the rationale for creating TB9 notes editor from scratch was to eliminate dependence on any 3rd party software, so I'm not sure TB team would be inclined to switch to a 3rd party application at this point.

In light of this, I continue to look forward to additional enhancements to the notes editor, when it becomes a priority in the development roadmap.

(Also, FWIW, I think the tables in TB8 are superior to the tables I've seen in a few of the online demos of the CKEditor.)
metta wrote:
In light of this, I continue to look forward to additional enhancements to the notes editor, when it becomes a priority in the development roadmap.

Heck yes. Missing the table functionality like a anteater misses it's favorite ants nest. And this is with the ability to preview documents (like numbers or excel spreadsheets in macOS). If I was using Windows (where I have to click a button to preview), the absence of tables would be driving me absolutely crazy by now.

Edit: To be clear for the Devs, with TB 9 I've had to change my weekly logging workflow due to the lack of tables in notes as I use them to track how I'm doing with workouts, projects, and things I'm tracking for monitoring weekly improvements.

Basically I use tables daily, this is NOT including random tables I created to store other information. The current workflow has been working ok, but I really really really miss the ability to quickly glance at my note and see tabulated information. 

ADDTIONALLY, lol, tables still don't work correctly when copied from HTML. Sometimes things lose their place or get moved to a different cell. This is annoying. I reported this over a year and a half now. I don't expect it to be resolved until tables are implemented, but it is a continual painful reminder.

Update: Not like, lose a limb pain, more like have a splinter in my finger that I can't quite get to... 😃
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
Tables in daily use here too, ZenRain. ðŸ˜

+1 for table please...

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software