greedygoat
When I said templates I mean a copy of the most significate parts of users differant Brains selected by the user when making a template . Files dropped into the templates then go to an 'inbox' to the RHS of the node on which they were dropped , when TheBrain Application is opened .This allows user to move quickly on the fly when working in another application and to sort out things after .
This Addon could also have a zone where we can dump things of interest that go into a simplified mind map structure that can be sorted by clicking on types in that window .

I think that boss is missing an opportunity not to build simpler addons that do more specific thing in a similar style to TheBrain .If an idea works particularly well that in could be developed and incorporated into TheBrain .And TheBrain could charge for these extras.

As I mention to PT in an email exchange , the idea of having a zone called say BrianThink or BrainPlay and in this area a User can drop stuff in as they go through their day . This area would display those files as word bubbles floating around on the scream (like a screen saver) . When we click on a bubble it bursts and Thesaurus derivative words fall out and rain down giving the user a choice of new words that might be closer to ones for new Brain nodes they might be looking for . When we click on a falling word it becomes bubbled and floats up (still related to that file that was dropped in) .
NOW if we drag two bubbles together they form two(3 or 4) ballons with strings and attached to the strings are Icons related to the Words . This is a way of selecting Icons for Brain Nodes when building a New Brain at the start of a project .Good for students perhaps trying to remember stuff.

This relates to another area that might be developed For Recordings of say a lecture . In this Addon the mic is directed at the speaker And the Addon is translating key words off the lecturers voice (that is being recorded) And those keywords are floating around on the screen (in and out of focus) infront of the Student who can then grab a most relevant keyword which starts to build a mindmap .Quick notes can be added at that new node to fill out lecture points . This allows the student to focus on the lecture and not trying to write notes (and having a recorded copy of the lecturers voice for review ) .Perhaps AI is needed for this .

All Easier said than done of course .

Template system seems easier more direct and less distracting than having an open Brain file and considering where and how to fit that new information.
The ADDon template links are setup to the right of any node that information is dropped in the template ,and when TheBrain file is opened a file shortcut is there on the right of the though (node) for the user to consider .Its like a sophisticated inbox with much of the sorting already done .

Hope this might be useful for us all .
mcaton
Thanks for posting.  Great to hear your feedback. I'm happy to let you know that we'll have many new template and Inbox features available in an upcoming release of TheBrain! Stay tuned...

Thank you,
Matt
greedygoat
Also Each Template can have a folder selection Choice where files that are dropped onto the Template nodes could 'fall through' and be filed under the users folder choice .This allows more controlled filing of large exteral files. Keeping the main program faster .

The other thing is to keep this template structure 'design elegant'. Thoughts selected could be connected back through lines to the Central Thought (which itself doesn't need naming just and icon) and missing thoughts are just given node bumps . This allows the user constructing the Template to select the Most relevant or memorable thought nodes (that would be named on the Template ) down though a number of parent child iterations but without the structure becoming visually cluttered but node bumps are there on the CONNECTING TREE for the user to drag an item over and a popup describing the thought and which can also receive dropped information.

Perhaps even a node can be activated visually on the Template as the user changes focus of project etc .
mcaton
This would certainly take templates in a whole new direction.  I'll document your requests.

Thank you,
Matt
greedygoat
So whats the Story . This is the make or brake issue for me . Can the user easily get info into TheBrain on the fly whilst working on other applications THEN open TheBrain later and sort/delete/organize information easily and intuitively (because the dropped files on the right node zone).
There appears to be a geek following that loves to spend their time curating their stuff . I want solutions to controlling information easily , logically and intuitively . So when I go looking for some info much later its all in the zone say Art Works or History , I get information reinforcement about things that I had forgotten about : connections and ideas then become apparent . The world is becoming so complex and moving so fast us humans need a way of reminding ourselves(apart from doing a Spotlight search , in which case I wouldn't need the brain anyway) as to how and when and where we stored a file .
You see the beauty of using the inbox I suggested is that in many cases we don't need to go in and deal with the information that we place on a node . Perhaps a month later when a PHD student is looking or an obscure thing he vaguely remembered looking at she could go to the area node and find it in the inbox . Or the Art Collection , grabbing stuff on the fly and dropping things onto different art categorizes .The user feels secure on dropping the link that they WILL be able to find it or it Will turn up because it has been intuitively filed (on an inbox node ) .
Those dropped file can be easily dragged off the Inbox to another node in the vicinity and automatic link can be then added and the file can be dropped . Same goes for groups of files .
I really hope you guys sort something out cause I'm struggling will a jumble of information , that of course if I was a computer I could easily organize but alas I'm only a human AI ! Also I would be careful as the are millions of hungry people out their who might perfect your system (say in China) and gazump you . Look at Ubers new competitors or Apple .
mcaton
Thanks for the honest feedback.  I can't provide you with many details yet on how the Inbox will work, because it is currently in production.  But I'll take your 'smart filtering' idea to heart and document/share with the team to consider during development.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software