HeinrichUnger
I do not want to believe that the brain will stay as it is, and the brain entrepeneurs are working hard for more than a year.

Having no Information I assume we will see "a giant leap for mankind" soon, but at least this year, with Version 8,x

Best Regards 
mbaas
+1  [smile]
enkidu
+2

BTW, dont know if Brain staff hang around this forum (they most probably do).

But the near-total silence of the user community is deafening.

cheers
enkidu

mdlynam
+3

I think it's been a disservice to those who have the Pro Combo... particularly as the first differentiating bullet of the Combo is:
  • Free upgrades as long as your subscription is valid
HeinrichUnger
Yes you are right. I payed twice. It is now the second year. I bought the Combo early. But in the meantime I do not believe it was a good Idea. Because if I had bought only the Desktop Version, i am sure I will get a good upgrade Price to 8.x, when ever it will arrive.

I hope Thebrain People are Aware of this Situation, and DO some recompense for People like me. At least with some issues that would cost nothing to them - e.g. more licences for free for android Gadgets or so.

But you know, Hope dies last.

For my Point of view, the silence wall around new Version is a very bad idea, to get trust from their Clients.

But I want to work with this product, at the moment thinking about how to get Information out of science books, to be searched fast and find at the time I´ll Need.

BR
Heinrich
fernandopcoelho
+4
LouisJG
+5

I'm a fairly long-time brain user, but never really voiced my opinion until now.  In fact, this may be my first post on the forum; I don't recall.

I like the brain a lot, but the feature set is lagging behind in a way that marginalizes my use of it more every month.  So, add my voice to those wondering why we've paid for two year combos and haven't seen much in the way of features, or even bugfixes.

My biggest gripe, and one that should be continually addressed across the life of the product, is the sorry state of getting data into the brain; it's getting to fall way behind other software.  Pulling e-mails in from Outlook is troublesome at best, and the lack of a web-clipper makes it worse.  I find myself clipping to Evernote all the time (web sites, RSS feeds, e-mail, etc.) and then having to manually transfer information to the Brain.  This actually reduces my productivity because I like to use the Brain to store lots of information I can browse through later.  Mainly links to other datasets and then I use the Brain text window to leave notes to myself about it.

I, too, am a software engineer and understand resource constraints, ship schedules, etc.  At the same time, I'm a customer. :-)  If I'm paying for subscription software, which isn't a bad idea for a lot of reasons, I would like something from the subscription besides continued use, especially for the price charged.  Yes, I get webbrain and syncing, but that alone is not worth the price of the subscription.  For $100 I get a home license of Office on 5 PCs with cloud storage.  I understand that The Brain is not Microsoft, and that because it is a more niche product it will cost more; that's fine.  But all things considered I don't think I've been getting my money's worth on the subscription.

I'm not quitting the brain any time soon, but really, when my subscription comes up for renewal if there hasn't been any kind of updates to move the brain forward in feature set like other apps have, I'll be thinking hard about renewing.

Not one to complain without offering a possible solution, another option is maybe releasing an SDK so others can custom features to the brain.  I mean, really, the "secret sauce" of the brain is the UI and how it correlates data in the database.  I think letting people write plugins to import / export data can only make the brain move forward without changing the core value of the product.

HeinrichUnger
I totally agree. A programmable interface would be a really good idea. A lot of times I do Strg-c, create thought, strg-v and so on. There should be more comfortable ways to put information in brain.

I am astonished that no official guy is answering until now. So I have to assume there are big troubles in backstage?

Please Personal Brainers wake up, and talk to your clients
andreas
A philosohical question: are automated ways to input data into the brain really that helpful? Just putting data into a sort of "inbox" thought leads to (what I have now...) a thought ladden with 100 children that need to be categorized. Until I find the time to do the sorting, the info is there but basically dead.

I mean: just putting the info in the brain is not a good way. During the input process, the data should already be treated in a proper way so that no after-treatment is necessary. I do not have yet a good way to do this other than pasting the data into the brain at a thought I choose on purpose. But for that, the old copy-paste is sufficient for me.
HeinrichUnger

Yep you are right, only massinput is not the Goal. But with a good api/sdk I am able to prestructure the data in a way it makes sense. AND I am able to program a bidirectional Interface to other solutions

With other word, not waiting for Features from thebrain, building them bymyself, and maybe let other People work with it

jroeterd
andreas wrote:
A philosohical question: are automated ways to input data into the brain really that helpful? Just putting data into a sort of "inbox" thought leads to (what I have now...) a thought ladden with 100 children that need to be categorized. <cut>.

For me the automated way to input data is helpfull and very much wanted. When working on something I want to focus on that subject. When I see some information I want to store I want to save it with as little disturbance possible. For example (WIN-A) to store that info in a predefined location. I can go about with my work without being distracted and knowing that information is save in my brain. 

When I am finished I go to the brain and reorganize my thoughts, make relationships, tag and all that fun stuff.

And important step is to take the time between assignments to do the reorganizing, tagging, ect. Looks like you have not :-). But that is just how I work.

Currently I am using Evernote more and more because it fits perfectly with my workflow of dumping stuff in and reorganize afterwards. I am missing the plex though...
enkidu
I have seen many times in this forum this "inbox as input" thing.

While it can be practical for occasional use (or for certain types of personal usage) for me it's non-sensical from a purely application point of view.

The only credible way of importing anything more than a dozen items into the Brain remains the Import Text Outline function, which works satisfactorily (== well).

It seems to me that many people's problems could be solved if somehow, when importing text as thoughts, one could also create links.

Maybe this can be done with XML import, but since I have no application creating XML, I have not had the opportunity to play with that.

But, OK, I'm deviating from this thread's theme.

cheers
enkidu
HeinrichUnger
Hi enkidu,

no I dont think you are deviating from theme. Cause I think, the brainemployees, must see that we want to work with their product and have a lot of interest that it will be developped further more.

And If they are not able, cause of resource constraints, to develope Features, why not open the door with an api or at least a programable Interface, to enhance the product.

But, and that is the crucial Point, they have to talk with us as Clients, building up a wall of silence, is very very frustrating

br
Heinrich
enkidu
OK, we got a "mobilised user base" of 5.

Whoever is monitoring this forum must be shaking their heads.
I guess it will be more icons updated at the next beta release ...

cheers (but for what ...?)
enkidu

a_d
6 ;-)
TheBrain 8.0.1.3 Win7 x64 J-1.7.0_45

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software