korm
  1. Visually nice -- UI is a bit old fashioned though -- doesn't have the look and feel of an iOS 9+ app.
  2. Seems to be more of a limited capture interface to get stuff into the desktop -- e.g., why can't images be viewed in The Brain iOS ?  
  3. Best used with an external keyboard -- in landscape orientation, the text panel (not resizeable) and the keyboard together take up almost 80% of the screen real estate.  The plex is tiny in this case.  It would almost be better to have the view rotate so that the plex is replaced by a full-screen text panel and then the view rotates again when the keyboard is dismissed.
  4. The most minimal text editor I've seen on iOS.   No visible controls for bullets, numbered lists, etc.  
  5. The animation when the text pane closes is odd -- the typography of thought names, etc., on the plex s t r e t c h e s out and then snaps back to normal.  Not a pleasant effect.
  6. Why is the login screen locked into portrait orientation?   Apps should not force the user to change orientation.
  7. It seems that sync forces the entire database to sync -- no incremental sync.   In a larger brain this takes quite a while.
  8. No timeline -- will that be added?
  9. No link labels -- will that be added?
  10. App crashes when the search icon (magnifying glass) is pressed
  11. Pencil -- nice ability to drag links from one thought to another -- thanks.   The control that appears when doing that is a bit distracting -- if we want to link to a thought located to the right of the current thought we have to press & hold, drag to the left through the control and then drag to the right to the other thought.
  12. Pencil -- adding sketches to thoughts (e.g., like the recent addition in Bear) would be consistent with most iPad Pro apps.
  13. The share extension seems to be limited only to capturing URLs from Safari -- are we going to be able to capture text eventually and send it to the inbox?
  14. Why is the share extension appearing in the bottom row of the share control instead of the top row where most apps live?  Just curious -- I had to fish around to find it.
  15. Is there / will there be URL schemes / x-callback-urls to (a) capture / paste link to thoughts from other apps, (b) capture from other apps (Workflow, Drafts, etc.) and send text or text+title to The Brain?   IMO, this is a now an expected requirement for capture apps on iOS.

I've never been a super-heavy user of the iOS app -- mainly using it for the occasional capture and for viewing synced brains.  Which is great -- works OK for that.   I realize this is probably not a feature-complete instance of The Brain 9 on iOS and competitive apps (e.g., in the mind mapping category) have been at it for a long time.
tomcal123
The iPhone app sync is getting stuck at "Getting remote changes".  I've closed and reopened it a couple of times.  Each time I hit the sync icon, it does a couple of things quickly, then starts "Getting remote changes" and stays there.  About 1/4 way through.  I added one link and one note to an existing thought so far and then tried to sync.  
andreas
Excited to work with the new iphone app!
I get the same "getting remote changes" error. Probably the server is down, my desktop brain doesn't sync, too.

Point 3 of korm: on my small screen iphone SE turning into landscape mode means I can no longer add a thought as jump or parent because these options are hidden behind the keyboard.
pshanks
[V9.0.0.1 - iOS]

I'm also seeing the following. Small test Brain only 91 thoughts.

Quote: The iPhone app sync is getting stuck at "Getting remote changes".

Windows 10 (V1607), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.12.4
TheBrain Beta 9.0.206.0, iOS V9.0.0.3, TheBrain 8.0.2.2
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

tomcal123
Andreas,  Same here.  The desktop is not syncing either.  I'm wondering though, is the problem the server being down or did something occur with the iOS sync causing this?  The latter being a lot more concerning than the former.
jupdike
Server issue looks fixed now. Try again and let us know if any more problems.
Jared Updike
TheBrain Technologies
Engineering Team
jupdike
Thanks for the feedback korm.

You forgot to mention your device, but I will infer an iPad Pro.

1-4, 6, 7. These are valid points and we are in early days. Consider these things we hope to address down the line.
5. This is a legit bug we know about.
8. Never say never.
9. Are your link labels not showing? Or do you mean the ability to tap on and edit link labels? See reply to 11 regarding small touch targets.
10. We will will investigate this but I cannot reproduce it on my brain (search works). If you can contact support (isolated brain zip?) and we can reproduce it, we can fix it.
11. Had not considered the Pencil in the design of this feature. We may revisit. Currently, mobile is too small to allow direct touch access to gates, so the press-and-hold gesture, though a bit cumbersome, is still ~ 10 taps fewer than navigating, tapping (+), and searching, and is a first-pass attempt to get some of the power of the desktop (link any too thoughts you can see at the same time) with the limits of fat fingers. But the Pencil is precise enough we could allow it to hit the gates. Stay tuned.
12. Never say never.
13. Photos (images from Camera Roll / Photos app) and Links (URLs) for now. We hope to get to these (other file types, text, etc.) down the line.
14. Good question. iOS apps vary with respect to this.
15. Again, the future is bright with possibilities. And Workflow and Drafts would be prime apps to consider in our testing of any such feature.

Thanks for your insights and specifics.
Jared Updike
TheBrain Technologies
Engineering Team
korm
Jared -- thank you for covering all basis.   I figured you guys have more and improved technology in mind.   Looking forward to it.

Yes, iPad Pro with Pencil (does anyone have an iPad Pro without a Pencil [crazy]).   Both sizes.

The Brain is a very good app for the Pencil and you should consider making it even more Pencil-friendly and then getting Apple to include it in the app store's "works great with Pencil" category.

More observations:

16.  Pinch-to-zoom is ok, but very jerky.   I suggest a zoom gesture that other apps use successfully: to zoom in/out run a finger up/down the side of the screen.
17.  Logging in on the 12.9" iPad Pro is sort of comical -- the screen is in portrait so you're typing uphill, then the screen toggles back and forth between portrait and landscape and back to portrait and back to landscape for a few seconds before it settles down.   Different effect than on the 9.7" iPad Pro -- must be some odd interaction with the external keyboard?  Dunno -- just guessing.
18.  The typography is fuzzy on the big iPad Pro -- must not have been scaled for the higher resolution display.
19.  With an external keyboard, the text pane is split - top half white and editable, bottom half grey and not usable at all.
zenrain
I haven't had much time to play with this yet, but one thing that would be valuable is on the press and hold disk, use the right quadrant on non-active thoughts for unlinking. [smile]
macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.202
mcaton
If you are still seeing the "Getting Remote Changes" issue - you'll simply need to fully quit and restart TheBrain on your iOS device.  Once you re-open, you'll be able to download a Brain from the cloud.

Thanks,
Matt
Harlan
There were some issues on the server causing the stall at "Getting Remote Changes". We believe these are resolved now and this message should no longer be a problem.

Also wanted to mention that while the first sync may take a while because it is downloading your entire brain, subsequent syncs will be much faster as it will only download changes. It works the same way it does on the desktop.
Regards,
-Harlan
stevelad
App crashes when the search icon is pressed
difficult to evaluate until this is fixed
Using iPad Pro

Steve Ladbrook
Harlan
The search icon crash has been fixed in the next release. Should be available soon.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software