deakus
Does anybody actually still use the Brain on Linux?

This section of the forums is looking pretty quiet.

I used to, but some of the issues like drag and drop and mime types and default application problems forced me back to windows. I'm pragmatist looking for a stable computing environment, I don't really care where it is. At the moment it is looking like MacOS.

Ideally it would be a Linux environment( lubuntu ) , but the brain is a key component of my environment.

I hope that the Brain continues to be available on Linux. Even if a select specific distro to keep support and development costs down, as it gives me the choice and flexability i'm looking for.
Brain User since 2.0
pthompson
There certainly are a vocal few who use TheBrain on Linux but the reality is that it is not a widely used OS. I use Linux on my ThinkPad, but it is definitely not my primary OS; macOS is.
russnh
Yes I do, on an aged Dell laptop running Kubuntu (as well as on several Windows machines), where it works reasonably well. I'd hate to lose it on Linux!

deakus
Glad to hear it, Kinda why I asked the question. I would not like to see it go either, But i suspect that there are very few activations on Linux. And every commercial enterprise has to focus their resources for the highest yield. Unless the brain is written using a cross platform framework the development costs have to be scrutinised.
Brain User since 2.0
Leijendeckers
I am still using the brain in linux. Actually I am using linux mainly as desktop on my dualboot pc. I still like to use version 8 over version 9 because it has the more options to export for example html
jmesteve
Same here, primarily Linux user. This was workable when the brain was java based, but the current solutions involving the use of something like a vmware emulator just to run the brain seem clunky. I have sadly stopped using the brain as much as I used to since the web or mobile versions are simply not as powerful. Hope to return one day if things change. 
shatcher
Leijendeckers, jmesteve,

I prefer Linux as well, and search for any way to not have to switch over to Windows on my dualboot. However, having worked here at TheBrain for awhile, I have seen how much work goes into making the application, and also how small our Linux userbase was. Sadly, it would not be cost effective to make a version of TheBrain 9 for Linux. 

Cheers, Sean
deakus
shatcher

This is indeed a shame from an end user perspective, but commerically understandable. Myself I now run the brain 8 on a Mac. I use my Mac mainly as a hypervisor running vmare fusion with a number of productive VM's with Linux and Windows.

However, it truly is a shame that the days of running a key productive tool such as the brain on Linux  has come to an end
Brain User since 2.0
rgloor

shatcher wrote: Leijendeckers, jmesteve,

I prefer Linux as well, and search for any way to not have to switch over to Windows on my dualboot. However, having worked here at TheBrain for awhile, I have seen how much work goes into making the application, and also how small our Linux userbase was. Sadly, it would not be cost effective to make a version of TheBrain 9 for Linux. 

Cheers, Sean

I guess I do understand the reasoning of this commercial decision. And I also see the short term benefits of dropping the Linux version.
However, I feel it is a mistake. Especially since MacOS is a unix-oid OS and Android is Linux as well.

Because there is an increased interest on Linux by a broader crowd and Linux Desktops are getting easier to install, run and maintain.
It has taken me some years, until I changed over my main productive systems to Linux. And now, I see many others, starting to "play" around with Linux.
Also in the gaming industry. Despite the still (very) low percentage of Linux gamers, they are making their gaming engines running on Linux as well.
Also Vulkan, the new3D graphics and compute API, is cross-platform. And all the big hardware companies (intel, AMD, NVIDIA) are putting a lot of effort in making their products running fine on Linux.

Many of the global players continue to integrate Linux in their application/support portfolio.

So it is sad to see TheBrain to drop the Linux platform. Because many people are looking for cross-platform applications to help them in the transition to another OS (Linux) or their work on multiple platforms (at work, at home, on the road).

I was a very long time user of TheBrain (PersonalBrain, MyBrain). First on Windows, later on Linux.

But I guess, it is now time to say good bye and move on.

All the best for your endavours.

rgloor
russnh
Does TB9 run in WINE on Linux? Or is a virtual Windows/Mac machine required?

Just a thought...

Russ
deakus
I have never tried it under WINE, getting the mime types and default applications was challenging enough with Native Linux let alone with adding WINE to the mix.
Brain User since 2.0
russnh
I thought I'd ask!! [biggrin]
charanjeevs
I'm sure there's many many more users who'd love to be able to use the brain on linux distros. If only it was as easily presented as an option on the brain website as Win or Mac. While the decision to eliminate Linux as a possibility may a sound commercial decision only time will tell if it's a wise one.

I replied to this post as I yearned to move my brain to my Ubuntu VM and found it won't work 9 onwards [frown], but I wanted to make sure I don't remain silent as several other who may care but won't drop a note.
- Charanjeev
Brigitte
Hi Charanjeev,

Thank you for your feedback. We simply did not have enough Linux customers to justify building for it. Version 9 is completely native on every platform, so supporting a Linux version would be even harder than it was on version 8.

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,
Brigitte

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software