farzad

Hi there,

I wonder who are the main competitors of TheBrain (PB and/or BrainEKP)? What are other products and how comparable are they with the Brain technologies?

Farzad

Darkstar
Bing says: Mind Maps, particularly "Mindjet MindManager".

Google says: The DS game Brain Age

Humm... Goggle isn't even in the neighborhood. Must be a Google information data bubble event. But they have a LOT of links to PB and PB reviews so at least they were correctly on target for the important bits.

I say: TransLucid

TransLucid is what LucidFriedEggs (LFE) evolved into. LucidFriedEggs was a free "web solution" to putting Personal Brain 3 (and older) personal brains online. It didn't do the plex, because that is patented by The Brain, but it did the associations (Parent, Child, Jump), and it was even Wiki inspired.

TransLucid, like LFE, is not a desktop product.

However, if your broaden up what Personal Brain is, then most Concept Mappers and even multipane Outliners (like WikidPad or Inspiration) can qualify as "competition". Depends on what you want to do. Nothing does what PB does, but many things came close in various ways.
-Darkstar
farzad

Hi Darkstar,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to look at Translucid.

What I am looking for is a tool to structure complex knowledge and make it accessible from different perspectives and is able to visualize the content. The brain does a nice job, technology wise! I am not looking for a standalone application but rather a web based business app. I started to look for data visualization apps but I couldn’t find a proper one, at least up till now!

The visualization in combination with a right KM model would ease the level of complexity.

Considering the above text, I wonder whether you have more idea's ;-)

Cheers,

Farzad

shinyplastic
Hi,

The best list I have found is http://www.mind-mapping.org/ which has list of desktop / web information systems (more than 250+ of them!).

Having tried a some of them I would have to concur with Darkstar none is a useful to me as PB, but a few I played with were Topic Scape and MindRaider.

Good luck!

farzad
Hi there,

Nice site. Thanks for sharing that!

Farzad

JosefBetancourt
Farzad:

TheBrain is pretty much in its own category.  Its not a MindMapper or ConceptMapper.  Though its related to them.

-- Josef

gtaras
Mindjet MindManager is better for creating / printing presentations or exporting to powerpoint.

I found it worse for navigating / brainstorming thoughts.

Mindjet MindManager only supports a single hierarchy i.e. each thought can only have one parent, no peers.
glientsc
Topicscape: http://www.topicscape.com/ 
but I like PB better; I find it more intuitive.
JosefBetancourt
I agree with most, The Brain is in its own category.  But, if you need to structure a complex thing, I think the best bet is to use Concept Mapping tools.  Unfortunately, there are not many, and of those, seem to be academic projects, that (imho) just don't flow very well or require a long learning curve.

Some are CmapTools and Vue.

--- Josef B.

jroeterd

Try Smereka TreeProjects ...

It (currently) lacks the nice ways to display relationships like TheBrain does but on speed, search and ease of data input (from clipboard) it is very nice. It is also extremly light on system resources. 

Jeroen

zenrain
From a purely informational manager standpoint (not mind mapping equivalents) I've dabbled in Ultra Recall and ConnectedText. Both are very comprehensive and powerful programs.

Connected text is more of a wiki based program. However, if you scratch a little deeper under the surface, it has a lot of nice features. It has tagging equivalents, automated table of content pages, you can embed text of other pages. If you like the wiki format, it is probably one of the most powerful I tested.

Ultra Recall is based on a flat folder structure. However, it has an equivalent "jump" feature. You can also hoist a particular folder (making it the only one that is displayed) to focus on a particular area. I particularly liked that you could create custom form fields and associate them with documents and hyperlinks. You also have the capability to save searches so clicking on it always gives you an updated list of files that match your criteria.

Ultimately I'm too visual to have stuck with either of them, and both are Windows only. However, in both I found features that I really wish were in PersonalBrain, and in their class they were the best information managers I found.
macOS 10.14.3
TheBrain 10.0.42
ABDH13
@Zenrain
In a few quick words, what are these features that you would like to see implemented ?
Just out of curiosity.
From my recent experience with TB and after comparing with many others (Compendium, DevonThink, UltraRecall etc) the one that I found most similar is Topicscape but I met some stability issues and it lacks many refinements that I like in PB.

zenrain
Hmm, I tried Topicscape as well, but to me it seemed unwieldy at best, and had moments of being downright annoying.
*cough*

I would really like to see customizable fields for thoughts (already shown as planned in UserVoice). However, to make this useful it would need to be incorporated heavily into the search and reporting functionality. I would also think you should be allowed to define inheritance of the fields from parent to child thoughts.
I realize this is a heck of a thing to build and incorporate into the software in a useable fashion, but I think it would be worth it.

I think the ability to hoist sections of your database would be useful also. Essentially you select a thought and it would only make Child and Jump thoughts visible/accessible in the plex until you unhoist it. This would improve the ability to focus your database to just certain sections for a period of time.
For those of us with large single databases it would provide most of the advantages of multiple smaller databases, with none of the drawbacks.

Finally, I would really, really like the ability to have thoughts that function as saved searches (also in UserVoice). So you can select a thought in TheBrain, and it will display child thoughts based on a search criteria you specify, and every time you activate it refreshes the list of thoughts, removing or adding as needed.
This would be extremely powerful for GTD implementations, and I can think of another dozen uses for it off the top of my head.
macOS 10.14.3
TheBrain 10.0.42
ABDH13
Well, not being an advanced user as you are, I haven't yet perceived those needs but it's nice to have a glimpse at what you meant.
And by the way thank you for the help you give on this forum, which has already proved useful to me on other matters.

zenrain

Glad to help.

macOS 10.14.3
TheBrain 10.0.42

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software