ianclayton
Hi Brain Team

Love the v9 - but I still need some help on the iframe or equivalent functionality for my websites.

Any news on whether this old v8 functionality will be, or is being moved across in any way.  I've been bugging you now for nearly two years on this one topic.

Its critical to my website developments as it provides a much, much better interface for providing information on a thought through the display of a website webpage than the notes area.  I also want to offer preview micro videos (2-3 minute items) on topics selected via thoughts.

Please - as much information as you can share.  If this functionality is NOT planned - also please share, or if I have to upgrade or use another of your products - please make it clear what my options are - I need to make a strategic decision on using the Brain or another platform this quarter.

Thanks

Ian
metta
Ian, are you talking about placing iFrames for other websites inside thoughts within TB9?

Or are you talking about placing TB9 inside an iFrame in your web sites?

Any additional detail and clarification you can provide will be appreciated.
ianclayton
Thanks for responding so quickly.  Sorry I'm not being clear here.

I'm talking about a shared brain access from a website.  So placing iFrame in a website - the latter.   I know the Notes tab presents, but I really was interested in the browser tab being available. So that the Brain could be used as a navigation tool or preview tool for the website pages...

My specific need is on my University website.  When a subscriber is logged into the site I want to also be able to show one of my web pages in the notes type area - see attached screenshot.  As it does on the desktop.  This would provide my industry peers with an invaluable tool to explore information normally held within courses, lessons and modules, as they wish - via Brain searches and thought navigation.

I've been with you for many many years.  I worked in part with James Burke on his Knowledge  Web idea - I just could not afford the webbrain application.  My goals remain the same.  To bring information to my industry peers (I am one of the 5 lifetime achievement award recipients for the service management industry) using a Brain styled interface from my website/s.

I have a dozen brains I can publish this way on topics such as ITIL, DevOps, my own framework the USMBOK, SAFe 4.5, and much more... Click image for larger version - Name: Example-University-Page.png, Views: 53, Size: 311.62 KB
metta
= Update =

Unfortunately, it looks like the option of embedding a v9 brain within an iFrame that was available previously has since been removed. At least, I can no longer find the "embed" option anywhere, and the examples I previously created of v9 embedded brains are now no longer working.

Am I missing something?  I'm not sure why this feature is no longer available since this code, and the various customization options, were quite useful in TB8.
ianclayton
Well I've been asking about this for over two years now and the response is understandable but frustrating - I suspect being able to select the browser function for presenting a URL within the iframe treads on the old webbrain turf - just wish someone would give me a straight yey or nay on whether it will be available in my lifetime.  Sorry, just so frustrated as I have so much investment of my IP in the Brain, I want to expose this to my peers through my website rather than somehow ship them an exported version they can use.

So the ask stays - as it has for many threads and years - are there any plans to enable this functionality so it allows us to show URL content - not the link as I have done in the Notes area - for a thought.  If so, any indicative timescales.  

BTW - I can share the Brain via a weblink - I know that - I have it working in a frame of sorts - I just can't show the browser tab, I can only show the notes tab.... thats the constraint I am focused on... thanks again Metta
ianclayton
Supplementary screenshot - here is what a shared Brain shows when a URL has been added using the + add URL option - it shows the link, not the actual page.  if we could beg for this to be taken one step forward and show the page - the brain would leap to the forefront of consideration for my 12,500 followers, and likely the over 3.5 million certified IT professionals who may have an interest in accessing information in soundbytes and micro-learning knowledge atoms versus books and courses.... Click image for larger version - Name: Example-University-Page-sandbox.png, Views: 51, Size: 90.44 KB
metta
Thanks for your ultra-prompt feedback, Ian. I actually missed your quick reply when I shared my update -- and, after reading your clarification and reviewing your original screenshot, I am sorry to say I remain a bit confused.

You said you were interested in displaying TB9 within an iFrame in your web site, but the screenshot you provided appears to be an example of a web site displayed within the embedded browser inside TB9.
> If you want to do the former, I'm not sure that this is currently possible (as I indicated previously).
> However, if you want to do the latter, there is a chance this might be possible.

Specifically, if you want one of your university web site pages to display within the embedded browser in TB9, so you can use TB to provide site navigation and search, this can be done on many sites that are hosted with an https:// prefix:
> Simply navigate to TB web client in your browser and login.
> Then select the hamburger menu for the brain in question from the brain list.
> Next select the first menu option for "Settings", and activate (check) "Embed Web Page Links".

This should allow many attached links in your brain to display within the brain in the web client -- IF the URL begins with https://

Please note that if the adjacent note on this (same) thought is completely empty, the attached link will display by default, instead of the empty note.

Will this option of using the embedded browser in the web client allow you to do what you intended? Looks like this is exactly what you were asking for in your 2nd screenshot.

Or did I miss the boat entirely?
metta
FWIW, you can see many examples of the embedded browser being used in TB9 web client for a variety of Wikipedia pages in Gerard's recently launched public brain:
> Compendium of Knowledge

Hope this helps! ðŸ™‚
ianclayton
Hhmm - real close - didn't realize the embed links option was available.  So enabled that for 2 brains I am playing with.  Here are screenshots for the first for the actual website - Service Management University.  The first is my desktop - works perfectly.  The second screenshot is accessing shared brain via browser (tried Safari and Chrome - same results) - it can't work out the css I suppose.  

Screenshot 3 is from another Brain - again desktop works great.   Screenshot 4 is for same brain, shared with the option enabled - I get a blank screen.  

Finally - screenshot 5 is testing the second brain at website using iframe source - same result - blank screen.

Any ideas why?  This is closer than I have ever been! Click image for larger version - Name: Example-URL-via-Browser-4.png, Views: 52, Size: 318.16 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Example-URL-website-test.png, Views: 55, Size: 358.03 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: Example-URL-via-Desktop-3.png, Views: 53, Size: 413.58 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Example-URL-via-Browser-2.png, Views: 52, Size: 175.49 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Example-URL-via-Desktop-1.png, Views: 53, Size: 848.72 KB
ianclayton
In response to your Compendium of Knowledge note...

used Safari and Chrome - I can see tabs - fantastic - but first one seems broken, second one blank (my issue) third one shows ok... not sure if its the TB9 being flaky or the website :-)
Ian
metta
Hooray! Glad we're getting closer to what you wanted to do.

Hopefully someone from TB staff can help with working out the technical display glitches.

Best of luck -- and please do keep us posted on your progress! ðŸ™‚
metta
Re: Compendium.....

Yeah, I know....Without a doubt there are some display issues with the embedded browser.

In the case of Bernard's Compendium, I don't know if these issues can be fixed or not. In my Chrome browser, the first tab appears to be broken, and the second tab is blank.

As I understand it, the web site display problems within TB9 usually depend upon on how the external web site is hosted and, for security reasons, TB will only display sites that are securely hosted.

Also, "break frame" scripts included on some sites will prevent these sites from displaying within TB9's embedded browser, so this embedded browser will never be a universal solution for displaying web sites within TB9.
ianclayton
Ok - well the good news is I only want to display my website via this method - I can easily handle other websites another way.  So that means I must invest in a security certificate.  My second challenge is the template my site uses - that seems to cause TB9 issues... well thanks so much for helping me get this far - at least I know its feasible - I just need to work out the cleanest/slimmest web page format to avoid causing TB9 issues!  Thanks Metta - owe you!
metta
Very glad if my feedback has been helpful, Ian.

Several months ago I was pleased to discover that my web site host (SiteGround) is now providing security certificates without charge since Google is now requiring https hosting.

Hopefully you'll find a similar (or discounted) option with your current host.
metta
Ian, after reviewing your screenshots and your web site in more detail yesterday, I realized it looks like you are actually doing both of the items mentioned above:
> placing a brain in a iFrame on your web site and
> placing pages of your web site within your brain using the embedded browser.

Is this correct?

In addition, several follow-up questions came to mind as I as considered your feedback in this discussion:

(1) In your second screenshot above, it looks like you've placed a v9 brain inside your web site with the note/content area displaying below the plex. However, the default display for TB9 in the web client (in a horizontal window) is with the plex to the left and the notes/content to the right. How did you set the notes to display below the plex? This has been a concern of other users in the forum, and if you've found a way to set up this display by default, I know there are other users who would be interested to know how you've managed to control the placement of the notes and plex.

(2) You wrote: "I just need to work out the cleanest/slimmest web page format to avoid causing TB9 issues!"
-- Are you using Wordpress to manage your site? If so, you may want to be aware that the upcoming release of WP 5.0 (Gutenberg) has met with extremely mixed reviews, and it may have some potentially significant backward compatibility issues -- so it will be important to plan any WP site updates accordingly.

(3) If you have any links that direct your user to your brain from your web site, you may also want to keep in mind the potential issues that could arise if you ever have to change the GUID of your brain (either TB8 or TB9). I ran into some significant issues on this in the past when I had to change the GUID on a public v8 brain, and I'm still looking forward to getting additional feedback from TB staff on this important issue.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software