ratthing
I have just spent a very frustrating hour creating what I thought was a simple checklist in the default note editor in v9.  Holy crap.  Between the reformatting of text, random repositioning of lines, disappearance of checkboxes, and inability to insert a table or tabs, I don't know how I am supposed to use this for work.

Is there any way to change some of the default settings on this damn editor?  I truly hate it with a passion.
mcaton
Ray,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear that you are frustrated with the notes editor.  As we've mentioned in the past, the notes are designed/intended to have simple formatting options and create uniform, consistent layouts throughout your Brain.  If you require something with more complex formatting options (such as tables) an Excel or Word attachment may be a better option. That being said, we do plan of further development of Notes functionality in the future.

I'm not sure why a simple checklist would cause any type of issue.  Would it be possible for you provide a screenshot of what you created vs. something you intended to create?

Thank you,
Matt
metta
Right there with you, ratthing.

This is one of many reasons I still rely on TB8 for daily use, and why many of us are hoping for more customization options at some point in the future.
whall3y
I don't bother with the notes - it is awful. I just create a text file with notes in against the thought.

Now if I could create a text file with markdown and have TB support a markdown viewer (as it does for .txt, .pdf, etc) that would be ideal for my needs.
vmilhoan
Here is an example of how bullet formatting is non-intuitive:

• in a new note, start a bulleted list on the top line
  • in my example, i use a bulleted list with text on 4 bulleted lines
  • now decide that you want to put a header on the first line
  • go to the beginning of the first bulleted line of text (this will allow you to place the cursor in to the left of the text, and to the right of the bullet)
  • hit enter
  • notice now that there's another bullet line above, with no text
  • to create the totally empty line above the bulleted section, I have to put my cursor to the right of the top bulleted line and hit Backspace.

Other strange occurence:

• let's say i've created my bulleted list and created the empty line above, as described in the previous steps. Then
  • I decide I don't want that empty line
  • I put my cursor on the top empty line and click Delete, which I expect will delete that line and move everything up
  • But, it doesn't: it moves up the bullet from the first bulleted line, but leaves the text of the first bulleted line on the second line of the note so it looks like this:

• a
  • b
  • c
  • d

In comparison, in MSFT Word:

• in a new document, start a bulleted list on the top line
  • in my example, i use a bulleted list with text on 4 bulleted lines
  • now decide that you want to put a header on the first line
  • go to the beginning of the first bulleted line of text (this will allow you to place the cursor in to the left of the text, and to the right of the bullet)
  • hit enter
  • the line above is empty with the whole bulleted section now lower on the screen (as expected)
  • now I decide I don't want to empty line at the top, so I put my cursor on the top empty line and hit Delete
  • the bulleted list is moved up in its entirety, just like I'd expect (as expected)

There are also instances of extra spaces in between bullets/checklists, plus the inability to delete unwanted bullets that I've come across. They're not as easily reproducible as the above steps. I don't mind the simplicity of the notes editor (would still love tables and the ability to copy an image out of the note in TB and place into another application!) but items like the one above are frustrating when we're in the "flow" of working.

I don't think using Word for better formatted notes is really the solution - it might work but my Word preview works only 5% of the time (if I'm lucky - PDF is the only preview that works repeatedly). I'm using TB to keep all of my info in an easily accessible place, notes are a very important part of that.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software