kbunders

Hi,

I notice TheBrain 9 is slower than TheBrain 8.
When hoovering over lists of thoughts the GUI response is not keeping up.
Anyone else is experiencing that?

Koen

Windows 10 | Beta testing TheBrain 9.1.7
mcaton
Koen,

Thank you for posting.  TheBrain 9 should be significantly FASTER than version 8 - sorry to hear that you have encountered this issue.  After you experiences a slow response in TheBrain 9, please grab a copy of your Output.log file and send it into support@thebrain.com.  You can find this file by clicking on Help > Open Log Directory in TheBrain.  We'll take a closer look to see if we can find the cause of the lag you've experienced.

Additionally, you do have the option to turn off the update of the content window when hovering over a Thought. Click on Options > Preferences > UI tab and uncheck the box for "Update displayed content on hover"

Thank you,
Matt Caton
Harlan
A video recording of what you are seeing would be helpful also if you can provide one.
Regards,
-Harlan
kbunders
I have tested again today. Now with version 9.0.264, still very sluggish. 
Not usable. Have sent my output.log to your support.

Is it maybe because of the high resolution (3200x1800) or scaling (175%) of my laptop?
mcaton
Koen,

Yes, the high resolution and scaling could be a factor.  If you have a moment to test, please switch to something dramatically less, like 1600 x 900 with no scaling (100%)  Of course I don't expect you to stay at this resolution if it fixes the problem, but it would be good for us to know the results.

As Harlan mentioned above, a video recording of your tests that demonstrate the sluggishness would also be helpful.

Thank you,
Matt
nicobi
Dear macaton, dear Harlan,

I have reported the GUI speed problem already here  http://forums.thebrain.com/post/the-brain-9-beta-guiperformance-and-other-headaches-8412213?pid=1294999594 . That was Feb 13 in 2017.

Now TheBrain has changed a lot since then. But fairly speeking the GUI performance is still a good way behind Version 8. Although I am running this on a MacBook Pro 17" Early 2008 with 2,5 GHz Non-HW-Multithreading and a NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GT 512 MB on macOS 10.11.6 I still propose that the hardware is more than sufficient to run a GUI like TheBrain smooth.

I am running constantly more than 10 Apps, a Cinema HD display and an iPadPro via duet-display on this config and have zero issues with GUI in other apps.

Yet I wonder why the (same) GUI running through a Java-Runtime-Environment outperforms the GUI that obviously has changed to a native programming. Shouldn't the native version be more efficient ?

Thanks for listening.
zenrain
That is not normal behavior, you might try Matt’s suggestion to at least rule it out or give them something to narrow it down. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
kbunders
Hi Matt,

I've turned off my dual screen and reduced resolution to 1600x900 without any scaling.
Sorry to report that responsiveness of TheBrain 9 is still seriously lower than version 8, the lower resolution has no effect.

I'll try to figure out how to make a screen recording.

Cheers, Koen
mcaton
Koen,

I appreciate the extra effort in testing.  This is good for us to know.  I see your log files in Support now and I'll document these test results as we continue to investigate.

Thank you,
Matt
nicobi
Dear Matt,

I have forwarded the log-file to you for what it is worth. The MBP built in screen has a screen resolution of max. 1680 x 1050. I should add that also dragging the vertical or horizontal area seperation lines has a good amount of lag.

This is all with a fresh brain with only 3 Thoughts. Behavior is independent of preferences like animation or not, notes indicator, or else. At least I could not get any performance difference with any setting. It is also independent of how many apps run, or what the bsd usage of ram is.

As additional info the machine has 6 GB RAM and a Samsung 840 EVO SSD on the SATA I hostbus (that's only 1,5 GB/s - but still very fast.)

I might as further testing install V9 on a MacPro 5,1 12 Core Xeon 2,93 GHz with 64 GB RAM, SSD and an ATI Radeon 280X 3GB on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, maybe macOS 10.11 external and report how that compares.

regards

nico
metta
@kbunders ~

Screencast-O-Matic is a quick and easy way to make screen recordings and host your videos online:
> https://screencast-o-matic.com/

I use their free desktop recording tool (download) all the time to provide more details regarding my help desk tickets, and occasionally my forum posts.

Hope this helps, if you haven't already found a simple video solution.
metta
FWIW, here's another tip from Matt on making videos of TheBrain:
> http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=8446440&pid=1296800880#post1296800880
Roadblock
Definitely slower than TheBrain 8. You are not alone, kbunders. And I saw a few other people post about it as well, then nothing. One of them changed resolution from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 and kinda solved it, again, without any explanation why.
Roadblock
And I'm on Windows 10 as well
nicobi
Hi,

I have installed V9 on a MacPro 5,1 12 Core Xeon 2,93 GHz with 64 GB RAM, SSD and an ATI Radeon 280X 3GB on macOS 10.13 High Sierra. The GPU here has two 2,5 K LG displays attached via DVI. Subjective findings:

• The launch of a fresh brain is identical to the 2007 MacBookPro
• If changing the focus to a different thought by clicking on the desired thought the animation is probably a tick smoother than on the MBP but really speaking almost negligible
• Dragging the horizontal or vertical lines to resize the areas has the same lag as on the MBP

As a side note: the GPU of the MBP is not Metal-capable. The Radeon 280X is Metal V 1 capable, but not Metal V 2 capable.

I suspect that the developers reiterate the graphic framework / engine at least on macOS. But as Windows-users report likely behavior on even newer hardware there seems to be a more generic problem, no ?

Thanks for listening.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software