alexshr
TheBrain 9 often hangs up. The most common case is when i am typing search string.

version 9.0.242.0      Windows 10
Quote
mcaton
Alexander, 

Thank you for posting. Sorry to hear that the search is causing issue.  If you happen to replicate this issue again, please send a copy of your Output.log file into support@thebrain.com after you experience the issue. You can find the location of this file by clicking on Help > Open Log Directory in TheBrain.

Thank you,
Matt
Quote
alexshr
TheBrain 9 (9.0.244.0) hanged (i had to turn it off using task manager) when i was typing new thought name.

Windows 10 version 1709 build 16299.192
Quote
mcaton
Alexander,

Thank you for posting.  I'll share your log file with our engineering team for further review.

Thank you,
Matt
Quote
alexshr
TheBrain 9 (9.0.245.0) hanged again when i was typing search string.

Windows 10 version 1709 build 16299.192
Quote
Harlan
Unfortunately there is no record of any problem in the log.

According to the log, the last search was finished at 22:13:54

2018-02-09 22:13:53.9881 | DEBUG | TheBrain.Desktop.Controls.SearchBox | [423] Finished DoAttachmentSearch 'theB' in 42

Then 5 minutes later the about dialog was dismissed

2018-02-09 22:19:09.0858 | DEBUG | TheBrain.Desktop.PopupDialog | [146] Disposing PopupDialog: AboutDialog

And 30 seconds after that a sync stats

2018-02-09 22:19:43.0627 | DEBUG | TheBrain.Client.ClientSyncManager | [170] SyncId: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000, BrainId: 03ad9fa9-710c-a421-a37a-e24a6be851a1, Message: Running Sync

And that is the final entry in the log

Do you recall any other details about what was happening when the problem happened? When you say it "hangs", what you mean specifically? It stops responding? Do you get the Windows dialog that says "TheBrain 9 is not responding"?

Are you running any anti-virus or other background applications that could be a factor?
Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
alexshr
Quote: Do you recall any other details about what was happening when the problem happened? When you say it "hangs", what you mean specifically? It stops responding?
Yes.  And TheBrain window was distorted

Quote: Do you get the Windows dialog that says "TheBrain 9 is not responding"?
No, but i was forced to turn your app off using task manager

Quote: Are you running any anti-virus or other background applications that could be a factor?
I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2018, but your app is marked as trusted.
Quote
metta
@alexshr ~

FWIW, after struggling with some significant performance issues with TB9, I recently discovered that marking TB9 as a "trusted" with my antivirus program (WebRoot) was NOT sufficient. (See tips for resolving the problem in the preceding link.)

Don't know if this problem is related to issue you are having, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case, since another long-time brain user reported having similar problems in TB8 with the Avast anti-virus program.

Good luck with getting this hang-up resolved!
Quote
Harlan
What do you mean by “distorted”? Please post a screenshot if you can. It sounds like a graphics card/driver issue. 

I don’t know of any problems with Kaspersky specifically, but it would be a good thing to try turning it off completely. As Metta points out we have seen problems with AV software in the past. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
alexshr
It hangs again during search (progress bar, no other ui distortion). Such events doesn't happen very often, so i can not turn off my antivirus software for a long time.
I think it's not only my problem. Ask your developers to set some timeouts, add more log info ....
Quote
Harlan
Hmmm.. Again there is no indication of any problem in the log file. After the search has completed, almost minute passes and then a sync starts. So it seems like the application is not actually hanging, but perhaps just the display stops working? How often does this happen for you? Can you try running in Windows' "safe mode" and see if it still happens?
Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
alexshr
Harlan wrote:
Hmmm.. Again there is no indication of any problem in the log file. After the search has completed, almost minute passes and then a sync starts. So it seems like the application is not actually hanging, but perhaps just the display stops working? How often does this happen for you? Can you try runtning in Windows' "safe mode" and see if it still happens?


I take the log after restarting the app (to find out the log path from the app ui).  I think i stop (using task manager) and start the app at 2018-02-13 16:40:12 (see last log). 

Perhaps your search lasts for a few minutes or hours but the app is not responding at this time and i see your progress bar. I think it is called hanging.

This does not happen too often, so it's not easy to reproduce it. But this branch reflects the chronology since 1th post (not since 1th error issue)
 
Quote
Harlan
Thanks for clarifying.

That portion of the log indicates that search still has completed. When you say you see the "progress bar", are you referring to the "Searching..." box that shows under the search box? If so that may indicate that the problem is happening when the app tries to hide that message and display the final results since the logs shows that the search is finished.
Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
alexshr
Harlan wrote:
Thanks for clarifying.

That portion of the log indicates that search still has completed. When you say you see the "progress bar", are you referring to the "Searching..." box that shows under the search box? If so that may indicate that the problem is happening when the app tries to hide that message and display the final results since the logs shows that the search is finished.


I think the progress bar was under the search box. Next time i'll try to create a screenshot. May be some addition logging can help...
Quote
alexshr
It hangs again from searching. I had to turn the app off using task dispatcher. When i started the app and took the log.. Click image for larger version - Name: 2018-02-20_0123.png, Views: 14, Size: 1.60 MB
Quote

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software