bookeater
First of all I'd like to shout big HELLO to everyone in this great community since I'm newbie here!

I have to confess that I have been using only trial version of Personal Brain and honestly I have to say that at this stage it doesn't suit my needs but I truly see a great potential in it. Thereby I'd like just to share with my idea of my perfect Personal Brain porgram

I'm a student and I do lot of notetaking on my tablet laptop in onenote 2007. However, the onenote doesn't offer possibility to link ideas together like PBrain. On the other hand PBrain doesn't support handwritting and so seamless information hadnling(ie. any part of website, pdf, picture etc).
For me as a medic it would be great to be able to link my notes for instance of the one symptom with all conditions it's present in, across all my notes (regrdless when they were made). So while I read my notes I could quickly reffer back to my previous notations with one click.
I should mention mindjet manager which actually is quite friendly for handwritting users and I using it quite a lot but it missing out on this sort of "closed cycle integrity" that PBrain offers. Notes just keep expanding until I actually loose "sight of forest for a tree".
And here is my question (plea) if The brain ever is going to evolve towards direction of being more close student companion not only as an organiser of life but also as organiser of ideas and conceptions in taken notes.

I hope you can see my point. Basically I'd love to see a hybrid of PBrain with capability of note taking and handling from onenote and perhaps bit form mindjet manager in which you are able to seamlessly to shift topics.

I will be very grateful for any comments on this matter!

BHurd
I am a little confused about what you are looking for but does the software you use (onenote for instance) do the handwriting recognition or does the OS on your tablet?  Even if you need a third party recognition software I would bet you could find one that allows you to just scribble notes and then you could drag those notes directly into pb (granted that's a little clunky). Depending on the format you could drag or copy them to the notes panel for a particular thought or just drag them in as a child thought for whatever your topic is. 

The seamlessness you spoke of escapes me.. (you mentioned pdf, web pages, jpegs)  All these things can simply be dragged off a webpage into pb and they create related thoughts( or dragged to a thought and placed as multiple attachments).

Spend some more time experimenting with ways to get your information into the brain and I think you'll find it can do most all of what you could be looking for.

bookeater
Thanks a lot for you quick reply. I try to clear my idea if it is possible at all.

Regarding handwritten notes in one note, it is up to you if you like to convert them in to plain text or just keep them in handwritten form (nontheless searching/indexing option remains available). I actually prefer second option since my own handwriting somehow has got better appeal to me than plain text. Thus, I think it's easier absorbed by my mind.
example

Also I can cut out as snaps fragments or whole from screen as needed, with use of snipping tool (which comes with vista originally) and place it anywhere on the page and annotate it in any way I like. Another way is, when I need couple of full pages (not necessarily whole document) to print it through virtual printer into one note which gives you ability to highlight or annotate adequate fragments.

I love this function but here is a shortcoming. As you can see from my snap all linking is a simple drawing lines which aren't in anyway flexible. Once I want to add some new information I have to in very arduous way to pull all subjects away to make some space and finally redraw the new linking lines. After all this is done you even don't want to think about that you may add some new info pretty soon again
So basically what I mean is to have functionality of onenote to freely move your stuff on page yet with ability to link ideas so easily as it's done in personal brain.
This is partially achieved in mindjet manager7 where you can add hand written note into each subtopic (child) but it doesn't allow you to mix it with snaps or printed texts as onenote do. And also mindjet doesn't have such sophisticated linking as PB (only branching and further branching and....)
example

I hope this explanation brings more clarity about my idea...

Thanks for reading and I'm waiting for further comments!

BHurd
Ok, I see what the appeal in those other programs is for you.  You are able to visualize the topic (thought in pb) along with your hand written note.  While that doesn't happen directly in pb (the plex just shows the ideas (thoughts) and you would have to click on the thought to see attachments and open those attachments. 

Many people have the notes panel open all the time so when they clic a thought they immediately see the notes.  Of course you can run into the forest in this case too but actually this works well in general.  The notes panel is an html format so loading pictures and stuff there works well. 

you would have to use a third party handwriting software to jot down your notes on a subject but you would just plop them on a particular thought or drop them on the plex to make a related thought with the "notes" thought type.  I am probably not explaining this as well as it could be but I think you would find PB well suited to your needs.  Though I believe what you are missing is the Big Picture/at a glance view you get with the other programs.  With PB you would have to take an extra click to get to the info you have added but the subjects and ideas and their relationship would be easily visualized as well as added to and manipulated.

Maybe someone else can add to this to help you out.

This is off topic but: The notes in those pics look like you are studying to be a paramedic, is that so?  I am a paramedic myself

bookeater
Thanks a lot for your explanation BHurd!
I will try to experiment with open notes panel and look at the outcome. Ultimately however, I hope that my thinking is not ill enough to deter this sort of application to appear in future. Because my programming skills are equal to nil the only thing has left for me is to plea anywhere I can to hint someone to create it (as i did here). I really like pb nodes and creating relations between them, it can give really simple and logical view even of most complicated matter at instant(which can be a golden tool)! I hope it could also include handwrite annotating and flexible moving of diagrams/pictures at some point in future, without needing any 3rd applications(allowing you to focus on issues which really matter).
Saying that I wonder is it only me who has got so exotic needs or truly developers don't see any sane point in moving towards this direction? Anyhow, I suppose this is section of forum is for - to suggest...which I humbly doing.

Relating to off topic: I did paramedic course 4 years ago in Poland and now I do medicine in Scotland. Bit tangled story, probably as much as my posts
Thanks again!

PaddyVA
As an avid user of OneNote (ON) and increasingly PB, I want to add my support for easier interconnections.  But, linking is already possible, as Harlan pointed out some time ago in another part of this Forum.  Here's how to do it:

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2066182&pid=21967982#post21967982

"It's worth mentioning that you can link from PB to specific notes inside of OneNote (not just files) - right click on a page in OneNote and select Copy [Hyper] Link. This can then be pasted into PB."

Also note that pasting the Hyperlink from OneNote shows an icon for IE -- but this can be changed in the Properties for the link to OneNote icon in the drop down for Type.

I don't know how well this would work with your Tablet pages of ON -- if you moved something around, it might break the ON hyperlink.  (Your illustrations are an excellent and interesting demonstration of the advantages of ON in the Tablet drawing use.)  If you positioned the cursor on the particular illustration, or handwritten text, when you right click to make the hyperlink, it might stay connected, or it might be connected to the position on the page -- try it and see.

Note that you might also use the ON hypelinks to connect items within ON to each other.

To give a little more definition to what would be useful to have between PB and ON, it would be the kind of add-in that exists now for Internet Explorer and MS Outlook, where a ON icon is added to the title bar of those applications to quickly copy the selected content or page or appointment or task to a new or existing page in ON, and vice versa -- so the icon would be to "send" the content, say from ON to PB, and vice versa, to "send" a selection of thoughts from PB to ON. 

Come to think of it, in PB, you can select thoughts, using the search, etc. to be copied -- normally this is used to paste to another brain.  But, I wonder if you selected a thought or thoughts in PB, could you then paste them to ON?  I guess not -- when I just tried it, and pasted to ON, I got a full page of XML code rather than the thought and a link.  Maybe someone who knows PB better than me can suggest a way to do it, or hopefully, Harlan might see the value of this as a feature to incorporate.

But, you could use the ON Clip function to capture a picture of the Plex of thoughts in PB, which pastes that clipping into ON, as a mental reminder or picture of the links you form in PB.  You could then hyperlink that clipping from ON back to PB.  I tried that and it works.  So, this way, you can form two-way links between a location in the Plex and a page in ON.  (When I moved the page from one section to another in ON, the hyperlink still worked, so that's encouraging.)

BTW, one of the things I really like about ON is the ability to automatically sync the database across a network -- I usually have four local PCs running, with multiple applications, and have two key ON Notebooks (databases) synched across them -- so no matter what PC I'm working on, I can clip or enter something in ON, and almost instantly, it's avilable on the other PCs.  I've even started using it as a temporary clip transfer service for other purposes.  Of course, this same feature can be used in a workgroup of different people.   Would be interesting to think about how this could be used in the Brain Enterprise version.

BTW, I hope you backup your notes on that laptop often!!  Good luck.  Must be nice to be studying in Scotland -- are you in Edinburgh?

Pat
bookeater
Thanks for your comment Paddy!
First of all I have to admit that it was very ignorant of me to assume that there is no more posts on this matter in this forum and I happily skipped search option. My bad. But hopefully this will help to dust off this idea a bit and spark some more comments.

I didn't realize that hyperlinks from each page or even from fragments can be transferred out of ON! In this case probably I will try to dissect my each page into smaller ones to make them only to cover particular subject and then hyperlink them in PB. I will try to experiment with that in coming days!
The only problem may be that it could be quite time consuming (copy & paste all hyperlinks) and it may disrupt attention from what you study at the moment. So as you mentioned above, maybe a sort of add-in could save a lot of time by making interconnection effortless and integrating itself in both PB and ON.
Also I noticed that I can add attachments in PB in form of journal (which is predecessor of ON). I was already pleased with that, but once you told me that I can use ON there is no question which one I'm going to use It's really excellent container for most of files and has many interesting functions like you mentioned, a syncing across computers. I must admit I didn't think I could use syncing for a backup. It's actually quite good idea in compare to my manual backing which I every time and then... I will try that too!
Regarding Scotland I live in Aberdeen (north from Edinburgh). This city is famous of having "four seasons in one day"!
Thanks again for your comments folks!

bmac
Unfortunately, PB4 is not tablet PC friendly.  While it will certainly recognize the "mouse" from the tablet pen, it will not allow the tablet input panel to function and apparently this is not an easy solution according to Harlan.  For heavy tablet PC users, it would be essential that PB4 allowed the tablet PC input panel to function or to accept handwriting.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Windows 10, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB ram, i7
bookeater
At least it is able to link to pages from one note which is quite useful and effective. The only problem may be if you change order inside of one note (relinking all thoughts could be a murder!).
asexymind
Also, if you "clip" (cut/copy) an image of the particular hand written note you want to bring into the brain, you can "Paste Thought Icon" on a thought.  Then, when you hover over the thought, the image will expand so you can see it.

If you have a linked set of thoughts, you can expand them, then read through them sequentially by hovering over the thoughts in question.  Of course, the same thing happens if you paste the handwritten text into the notes field.  When you hover over a thought, the notes field shifts to show the notes for that thought.

Enjoy!

--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
bookeater
That's great tip! Expandable view on hover should not only be reserved for pictures (jpg,png etc) but also for notes!(as Mindjet Manager 7 does). The only snag I can see with use snapshots from ON is that you can't edit notes instantly (need to take new snapshot after reediting) or if notes in ON are longer than range of screen taking.
All in all, very decent workaround! I'm going to try it out !
Thanks!

PaddyVA
Quote:  The only problem may be if you change order inside of one note (relinking all thoughts could be a murder!).

Bookeater, I tried moving a ON page that was hyperlinked to PB4, from one section of a notebook to another section, and the hyperlink was maintained.  So, it may not be a problem.  Experiment with it.

Pat
xts44
bookeater wrote: First of all I'd like to shout big HELLO to everyone in this great community since I'm newbie here!

I have to confess that I have been using only trial version of Personal Brain and honestly I have to say that at this stage it doesn't suit my needs but I truly see a great potential in it. Thereby I'd like just to share with my idea of my perfect Personal Brain porgram

I'm a student and I do lot of notetaking on my tablet laptop in onenote 2007. However, the onenote doesn't offer possibility to link ideas together like PBrain. On the other hand PBrain doesn't support handwritting and so seamless information hadnling(ie. any part of website, pdf, picture etc).
For me as a medic it would be great to be able to link my notes for instance of the one symptom with all conditions it's present in, across all my notes (regrdless when they were made). So while I read my notes I could quickly reffer back to my previous notations with one click.
I should mention mindjet manager which actually is quite friendly for handwritting users and I using it quite a lot but it missing out on this sort of "closed cycle integrity" that PBrain offers. Notes just keep expanding until I actually loose "sight of forest for a tree".
And here is my question (plea) if The brain ever is going to evolve towards direction of being more close student companion not only as an organiser of life but also as organiser of ideas and conceptions in taken notes.

I hope you can see my point. Basically I'd love to see a hybrid of PBrain with capability of note taking and handling from onenote and perhaps bit form mindjet manager in which you are able to seamlessly to shift topics.

I will be very grateful for any comments on this matter!

Make a mockup with a screenshot, that's the only way they will understand it, I did the same thing when making suggestions to another mind mapping program (topicscape --  http://www.topicscape.com/ ) on youtube, check it out....

So if you want people to understand your idea you're going to have to make a mockup picture, with how the interface, is layed out, you can record your desktop while recording you voice (with mouse and pointing it etc) it using this software here... etc.

http://www.allcapture.com/eng/index.php
Harlan
FYI, release 5.0.0.9 enables the TIP to function in the search, thought creation, and thought renaming boxes.

Also relevant to this thread is the ability to save expanded views in version 5, which is a new feature that makes possible a layout similar to but more flexible than the hand made drawings featured in this thread...
Regards,
-Harlan
kati42
Another vote for direct ink support in notes in PB.

asexymind wrote: Also, if you "clip" (cut/copy) an image of the particular hand written note you want to bring into the brain, you can "Paste Thought Icon" on a thought.

This is only suitable for "complete" notes, not ones that I wish to add to periodically...

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software