Cornan
Sometime recently (presently 5.5.1.8 / Windows Vista Ultimate) the Expanded View thoughts started to truncate to unusually short dimensions. 

I don't use my handful of Expanded Views absolutely every day, but I believe it happened somewhere between 5.5.1.5 and 5.5.1.7 or .8.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any way to set preferences for thought truncation, and dagnabbit, they're too short.

Samples included are of the same view in 5.0.4.0 and 5.5.1.8

Click image for larger version - Name: 5_0_4_0_deployment.png, Views: 176, Size: 155.02 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 5_5_1_8_deployment.png, Views: 174, Size: 137.51 KB
Darkstar
5.5.1.8 is particularly NASTY in this regard, as it needlessly truncates every thought. This seems to be part of the changes they made to the plex to arrange itself in a better, quicker, more stable, and more usable way.

This was minorly improved in 5.5.1.7, as the behavior when the cursor is over a truncated name in expanded view was changed to display the full thought name--- WITH WRAPPING--- so that you could at least see a particular thought's full name. Prior versions did not do text wrapping, so names would run off screen, making long or just unfortunately positioned thoughts difficult to see in the plex what their full name was.
-Darkstar
Cornan
I'm also wondering if the reason I'm seeing only 10 characters is because the PersonalBrain developers limited the thought size by pixels, thereby penalizing those of us who display the thoughts in a larger font size (however that's determined at that particular moment in time).

Anybody seeing more than 10-12 characters plus the ellipsis (...) in Expanded View thought names in 5.5.1.8?

If the developers want uniform thought name rendering, this would be a good item to give to users to configure.  It doesn't seem that whatever hard-coded method they're using is working out well at all.

Moe
The internal handling of the Expanded View is very complex . Depending upon how many Thoughts are currently in the Plex and the Thought size and font being used the truncation is adjusted precisely to make your Thoughts best fit in the Plex.

Thanks,
Moe

dyslucksia
The Release Notes for 5.5.1.9 say:

Quote:  Expanded view allows longer Thought names

There does seem to be less truncation of the Thought name in 5.5.1.9, but it would be much nicer not to have any. I wonder if we'll ever see this?

One way around this, as I've said elsewhere, is for the developers to provide multi-line labels, preferably searchable with Instant Search, which might take a lot of the load off Thought names proper. Furthermore, I would like to see the labels of all Thoughts linked to the currently active Thought on permanent display (or at least an option for this). In that way, we wouldn't need such long Thought names as we could accommodate that info in the Label.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Cornan
Just the statement "Expanded view allows longer Thought names" reflects the fact that something is wrong.  While I was struggling with 10-12 character thought names in 5.5.1.8, my sharp-eyed compatriots who can read tiny fonts may well think that the new fixed size in 5.5.1.9 is too large.

For me, the size in 5.5.1.9 is usable - thanks , especially since this affects the brain I use at work.

If the thoughts need to be of a uniform size to facilitate internal algorithms, which I can certainly understand, then one or the both of the following should be true:
   1) the "size" should be based on a "semantic" factor such as minimum number of characters visible, not a pixel-based factor that will only work in a "sweet spot" zone where font size is compatible.
   2) users should have control over whatever-the-measurement-is.  This could easily join the many preferences already available.

In Expanded Mode, where some users are building canvases far larger than their computer monitors and where use cases such as my examples involve thoughts that have been dragged into position and are no longer relying on automatic positioning, the criteria required for automatic positioning should not interfere with thought readability.

dyslucksia
Quote: ...the criteria required for automatic positioning should not interfere with thought readability.

Sums it up perfectly for me too.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Darkstar
Cornan,

Size isn't fixed in version 5.5.1.9 in EV.

I am getting between 24 to 29 characters displayed in my expanded view plex --- this is the same data/view/font size that I was only getting 6 in 5.5.1.8, so 5.5.1.9 is a VAST improvement in that regard.

I don't understand why they are complaining about arranging text boxes in their Expanded view plexes. It is only a 2D plane, but it is effectively infinite in size, and that makes it trivial to arrange such things. I've done enough printing of random networks to know that. If they have limitations, that is either in their coders' outlook, their underlieing technology, or in their arrangement of the EV due to carry over from Normal view. Personally, I have difficulty believing it is that their coders outlook or Java, which only leaves the interface standards they use in normal view. Frankly, there is a lot of code out there on the internet for arranging networking information blocks in various ways, and much of it is public domain, so again--- I end up with a failure to understand how EV can be anything more than a trivial programming exercise for a new hire. But hey, I'm not doing it, so it must be simple, jah? That is how it always goes.
-Darkstar
Cornan

After a couple of days with 5.5.1.9, I can see how my [work] brain would benefit from a maximum rendered thought length primarily because of the "comma trick".

Even though I have dragged my thoughts to fixed positions [in a particular Expanded View], as different thoughts become the "active thought" the other thoughts render at different lengths in the plex, making it somewhat hard to place the thoughts accurately.

As long as an Expanded View length limit is under user control, it could both ameliorate the interaction of fixed placement and the comma trick and also benefit the internal algorithm in some way.

For now 5.5.1.9 is much better than 5.5.1.8 in this regard.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software