lunatrix
Hi this is just a little thing and I feel it may have been discussed before but I cant find where.
Names of thoughts get truncated if there is not enough space to fit their full names across the width of the plex. That makes sense - the full name can be shown easily by hovering.
The thing is the names seem to me to be truncated too much - often down to just a few letters (making them hard to read), and even when there is plenty of room to write out the full thought name.
I wonder what the brain's rule is for when to truncate, and if it might be relaxed a little?
Funnily enough, whatever the rule is, I notice it does not always act consistently. For example I have multiple thoughts as children of TOPICS. One is PSYCHOLOGY, which gets truncated to PSYCHO... while one is PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT which gets truncated to PERSONAL DEVELOPM...
The latter is directly below PSYCHO... and takes more width than the whole thought name PSYCHOLOGY would take. 
I'd like thought names to be only truncated when there genuinely is not enough space for the full name, and to be truncated at the last possible point (i.e. display as many letters as the space permits).
Harlan
Not all areas of the plex have the same amount of space available. Each relationship type to the active thought is laid out in a zone that is reserved for thoughts of that relationship type. Zones which may have multiple columns (parents and children) can allocate more space for individual thoughts when there are fewer than the maximum number of columns being used. For example, siblings always get approximately 25% of the available width while children get 50% if there are few enough that they can be arranged within 2 columns.

If you post a screenshot I can discuss more specifically what is happening in the case you describe.
Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
Thanks. I think I see now what is going on. It is the expanded view that causes the problem. Thought names seem to try to avoid overlapping links. I see the logic of that but wonder if it might be done in a less aggressive manner! Leaving thoughts with just a couple of letters makes it to hard to navigate. Perhaps letting link lines go behind thought names rather than being completely avoided?
Harlan
Link lines are not a factor... Distant thoughts are given a fixed amount of space in order to enable them to be shown.
Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
OK - then I am puzzled why I need to have names truncated to 2/3/4 uninterpretable letters in the attached example? 2017-03-16_13-54-37.jpg 
Harlan
Thanks for posting the screenshot. That's helpful. The difference between those truncated very short and not is the presence of jump thoughts. We'll have to adjust the layout algorithm to utilize the space a little better.
Regards,
-Harlan
lunatrix
Hi guys
Just wondering if any progress is being made on this? Or am I one of very few that it affects? I guess I do use jump links quite a lot, and as my brain gets more crowded (because I am using it more [smile]) it means I often see a row of thoughts with names truncated to an uninterpretable two letters. I go in and hover over them - which doesn't seem like a big deal but it is actually not great because I also use comma trick a lot, so my actual thoughts names are quite long and hard to take in at a glance.
I'd love to be able to see my thought names the way intended - esp since there is clearly plenty of space all round the two-letter truncations (not sure if that is a word but I guess you can figure out what I mean!).
pthompson
It is documented and we're looking into different options but, in the meantime, you may want to look into trying a condensed font option for your Brain as it has made a big difference in the viewing of some Brains.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
mcaton
Helen,

To change the Thought's fonts, click on Options > Brain Theme (or right click on the background in the plex to access Brain Theme) and click on the Options tab in the pop up window.  I recently changed the font in a techy Brain I have to Open Sans Condensed and can see a lot more of my long Thought names...

Thanks,
Matt
lunatrix
Thx - helps a bit I guess but not really much better. Still many thoughts showing only two letters, with lots of blank space beside them.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
metta
This is where I found the resizing circle to be immensely helpful in TB8.

However, I recently learned the resizing circle has be discontinued in TB9.

In light of this, I'm wondering: is there any chance the engineering team would be willing to revisit the resizing circle and provide it as non-default (optional) setting for those of us who currently use the resizing circle all time with extremely large, dense megabrains?

My thought is this would be one way of at least partially addressing the display challenge lunatrix is currently facing, and it would make it far easier to navigate and edit links/thoughts in dense areas of any brain -- small or large.
pthompson
metta wrote: is there any chance the engineering team would be willing to revisit the resizing circle and provide it as non-default (optional) setting for those of us who currently use the resizing circle all time with extremely large, dense megabrains?Thoughts can be resized via the plex size adjustment icon in the toolbar:

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 8.27.36 AM.png 
This works exactly as the resizing circle did but is much easier to use and prevents accidental resizing. You can also quickly resize using the default keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+- and Ctrl+= (on Windows) | ⌘ + and ⌘ + = (on macOS), plus you can also quickly resize using your mouse scroll wheel if you have one by first holding down Ctrl (on Windows), (on macOS), then scrolling up/down.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
zenrain
Or pinch to zoom on a trackpad (and reverse). [smile]

I'm finding the keyboard shortcuts and slider easier to use than the Resizing circle. I now think of the circle as just the active thought identifier. [smile]
macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.192
metta
Oh, hooray! Can't imagine how I missed this. (On 2nd thought, it is probably because I've only been testing V9, and not using it on a daily basis yet.)

Delighted to see this great alternative, and I completely agree in terms of ease of use and the prevention of accidental resizing.

I'm also pleased to see this is a brain specific setting, so it doesn't have to be readjusted when moving from tab to tab.

And you're right, ZenRain:  the old circle does now nicely serve as the "active thought identifier".

Excellent step forward all the way around.
mcaton
As an added tip - the text size slider button is found in the Notes toolbar as well.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software