pshanks

[V9.0.199.0 - Windows & Mac]

When doing a Open Attachment short code and there are 2+ attachments.

Is there anyway to select the attachments with the keyboard,
I have found that you need to go back to using the mouse.

Screen capture below
=> https://www.screencast.com/t/RMey75kH

TheBrain Beta 9.0.231.0, iOS V9.0.4.0, TheBrain 8.0.2.2
Windows 10 (V1709), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.13.1
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

Harlan
No, you can't select from that list using the keyboard yet.

If you have attachments in tabs instead of a list, you can use Window > Next/Prev Content Tab to select which attachment you want to open, then use Attachment > Open to open it.
Regards,
-Harlan
mcaton
Thanks Pat,

This is a previously documented feature request - we'll take another look.

Matt
Kriggel23
Any news?
shatcher
Christian,

There is a command to cycle through attachments, this may help with just using the keyboard to navigate your Brain.
Mac: Alt+Tab and Alt+Shift+Tab
Win: Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+Shift+Q

Cheers, Sean
rustyedges
1.  I really don't understand why arrow keys don't work to select from multiple attachments when hit keyboard shortcut to open.  This seems so basic?

2.  Didn't know about Ctrl+Q...but while that is cool I don't see what to do after an attachment is activated.  hitting enter just opens the thought properties modal, hitting Ctrl+O (my shortcut to open) just lands back in original problem?
Harlan
Once you have the tab selected use the “attachment > open” command to open it, not the “thought > open attachment” command. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
Both, Alt+Tab and Alt+Shift+Tab, insert a tab into the search field.

I refer to the "Thought > Open Attachment" command (keyboard shortcut "Thought.OpenItemAttachment"). On a thought with attachments, this command brings up a - small - list of the attachments. Here, I can only press Escape. Neither tab, cursor keys, nor enter do work.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-08 um 06.34.08.png 
Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-08 um 06.33.56.png 

I could select an attachment using the mouse, but using the keyboard would be faster, e.g. cmd-o, enter, or: cmd-o, cursor-down, enter.

Regards,
Christian

[Update] I just found that this issue has already been documented in http://forums.thebrain.com/post/keyboard-shortcuts-followup-2765-and-3260-8300915?highlight=2765?pid=1293886621.
Harlan
Thanks for posting. We are aware that the keyboard cannot be used in the popup at present. Until then, the following keyboard commands can be used to select and open an attachment:

• Do not use Thought > Open Attachment.
  • Instead use Window > Next/Previous Content Tab to select the attachment.
  • Then Attachments > Open.

Please check under Preferences > Keyboard to see what the mappings are set to on your machine as you may have changed them or they may not have values set, depending on when you first installed version 9.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Just tested again on macOS. Christian is correct. The default mapping for previous content tab of Alt+Shift+Tab no longer works , however if you remap it (I used Alt+Ctrl+Tab), it does work correctly. It seems that Alt+Shift+Tab is now reserved by the system.

Alt+Tab for next content tab still works, but note that these shortcuts will only work when the search field is empty, and will not function you have typed something there.
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
mmh, that's weird - for me, on macOS Sierra 10.12.6, with TheBrain 9.0.227, neither Alt-Tab, nor Alt-Shift-Tab, nor Alt-Ctrl-Tab, nor other keyboard shortcuts works as described for 'Next Content Tab'. To be sure, I've restarted TB each time when I changed the keyboard shortcut.

The scenario:
Cursor was in search field, the search field was empty.
A 'xxxx-Tab' created/inserted a tab into the search field; when pressed a second time, the focus was set to the 'Create an orphan thought'-button; when pressed a third time, focus and cursor was set back to the search field, right behind the tab created before ...

Btw: when 'Alt-Tab' is pressed in notes, the cursor disappears - but text can still be entered ...

Regards,
Christian
Harlan
Ummm. Not sure what's happening, but my guess is there is something special about the tab key that is causing TB to fail to receive the keypress. Can you try mapping them to something completely different and see if that works?
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
... now on TB 9.0.228 ...

Tested Cmd-Shift-T, Ctrl-T, Alt-F11, Ctrl-Alt-Cmd-0 (keyboard & numpad).

Result: Cursor stays in search field (or, in notes ...). No focus change.

Regards,
Christian
Harlan
There shouldn't be a focus change... It should change the active content tab (next to notes). Then when the tab you want it active, press Attachments > Open.
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
Heureka! That's it!! I've selected all the time "Attachments as a List"!!!!

When I change to "Attachments as a Tab", I can "jump" from attachment to attachment, as designed.
And, within the actions menu for a single attachment, I can choose "Open".

But: if I trigger Cmd-O (assigned to menu item "Open Attachment" of thought's contextual menu), the attachments list pops up, as shown before. And here, the cursor keys do not work ...

And *grumble, grumble* I can NOT assign Cmd-O twice ("Attachments > Open", "Thought > Open Attachment"), even though imho one excludes the other.

Regards,
Christian

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software