smieg
Good day,

I use TheBrain for project management.  I have created a template project Thought hierarchy.  When I create a new project, I Select a number of the Thoughts from the template that I want to be used as a starting hierarchy for the new project, copy them as a text outline and paste them under the appropriate Parent Thought.  I like this function of pasting a text outline but would like the option of having the pasted Thoughts remember their Types.   I don't believe that this is possible with the current copy/paste options.

Thoughts/new feature?

Thanks,
Andy
mcaton
Andy,

Thanks for posting.  First, let's give the example of copying the Text Outline: Yes, this is a great process for replicating common processes that need to be visualized in different areas of your Brain.  I even keep some templates attached as a .txt file in the same Brain.  This way, I can open them, copy the tab delineated outline and paste, over and over again when needed.  TheBrain will recognize that the names are duplicates and ask if you want to Replace/Copy/Skip.  For this scenario, I select copy and get and new, clean outline in different areas of my Brain every time.

Now, the same process can be done and still preserve your Thought Types, tag, notes, etc. For this process, I would recommend that you create a separate "Template Brain" Again, you can specify your Types and Tags in this new Brain. Place the desired group of Thoughts in your selection box, right click and Copy # of Thoughts.  In your Master Brain, navigate to the desired area, right click in the plex and select Paste # of Thoughts. If this is the second time you have pasted, the Existing Objects Detected will appear.  For Thoughts, you'll copy, for Thought Types and Tags, select Skip and for Links, select Replace. I believe this will give you the desired results of a completely separate 'branch' in a new area of your Brain. 

For more information on using the Brain's Selection Box, please visit  https://www.thebrain.com/support/tutorials#selecting-multiple-thoughts

Thanks,
Matt
smieg
Hi Matt,

A template brain... I had thought of that approach but never tried it.  I can see from your description it will work for me.  Thanks for the reply.

Andy
d_or2000
I am continuing this topic of smart paste, althought it is not excactly the same items that need to be pasted (I can move the conversation to another discussion if there is one).

In TB8 you could past a thought, with a clickable link and with a note in the following format:

Tought Name
      http:weblink
      -Note

I tried this in TB9, but instead got:

Thought Name
   Weblink (as a child of Thought Name)
      The note is attached to Weblink and not Thought Name

I tried also a different format:

Tought Name
      -http:weblink
      -Note

In this case both weblink and Note are in the note of Thought Name

How can I do a smart paste the way it was working with TB8: the weblink is attached to the Thought and clickable, and obviously the note is attached to the thought created.

Many thanks
mcaton
D,

Thanks for posting. Here are some general guidelines for importing text outlines:

• Each new line becomes a thought.
  • Indentation created using tabs shows hierarchical relationships.
  • Line starting with - (dash) are added as notes.
  • Lines starting with a + (plus) are added as Web link attachments.
  • Labels can be added to a thought by separating them with a | (pipe) on the same line as the name.
  • Hash marks indicate linking to a previously created Thought

I've added a file (and a screenshot) as an example. I tried pasting it here as text, but the forum gremlins edited the formatting.

Outline.png 

Thanks,
Matt
d_or2000
Thanks Matt, excellent. It seems even more powerful than in TB8.
smieg
Hi Matt... I hope you are still monitoring this thread.

I followed your advice from back in August (see above) and created a Template Brain to copy re-useable Thoughts from. Everything works as expected when I copy Thoughts as a Text Outline.

However, when copying as Thoughts I am not getting the results I expected. I copy a Parent Thought and all of it's Children as Thoughts from the template brain and paste it into my mega-brain and it works fine. When I copy the same Parent Thought again and only some or none of it's Children it pastes the Parent Thought as expected but also creates links to all the none selected Children Thoughts copied before. I can see the links in the Existing Object Detection Window and could Skip them but this is not necessary when copying as a text outline and seems cumbersome.

Is this a bug or am I expecting too much?

Thanks,
Andy
mcaton
Andy,

Thanks for asking. It may seem cumbersome, but it is also effective and useful when needed. This feature is there because in some scenarios, some thoughts need to be overwritten, others need to be copied, etc. For example, if you copy a portion of your master Brain into a smaller, topic specific Brain and then make changes in the smaller Brain.  You want to copy those BACK into your master Brain.  Which thoughts get duplicated, which over written, which skipped, etc.

It's a lot to wrap your head around, but many Brain users (and myself included) have encountered this scenario in the past.

Thank you,
Matt
smieg
OK Matt.  Thank you for the reply.  I'll work with it some more until I fully understand it.

Andy

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software