Antonio68
Some questions about the compatibility between TheBrain 9 and the Time Machine in Mac.

I had two brains.
I delete one
After one day, I delete the entire "Brains" folder and I restore it with an old date were the two brain were still existing.
Time machine give me the following message:

"The operation can’t be completed because an item with the name “Brain.db” already exists."

I check the folders inside and the brain.db file is present for the two brains.
When I open TheBrain I get the image attached.

I know that is not advised to use other back-up system except for the Brain.zip, but in theory the "Brains" folder should be an independent entity, this means I can move, copy, etc.. or not?

Click image for larger version - Name: Screen_Shot_2016-12-06_at_20.58.44.png, Views: 328, Size: 98.00 KB
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

mcaton
Antonio,

Thanks for posting.  You are correct that it is not advised to use other back-up systems when dealing with TheBrain.  We suggest that you either:
  • create a local Brain Archive (click on File > Backup Brain to Archive)
  • Sync your Brain to TheBrain Cloud for an online back up

Additionally, if you would like to move where your Brains are stored on your local machine, this can be done from within the app.  Click on Options > Preferences > System tab.  That would be under TheBrain > Preferences on a macOS.  Select a new location in the Storage area.

Your Meta and Brain db files/folders should not be tampered with.  They are keeping track of your existing local Brains.  Manually deleting or editing one without the other can lead to data loss.  Did you happen to make a .BRZ archive of the Brains you are trying to restore?

Thanks,
Matt
Harlan
I don't know why Time Machine is giving you an error. Unless you are trying to do the restore while TheBrain is open, which I would not advise, would be a bug in Time Machine.

The problem you are seeing with the thumbnail not loading is most likely due to Time Machine not restoring the Brain.db file as per the error. Just like it sounds, the Brain.db file is the database for your brain.

Generally speaking, you should avoid attempting to manage the files inside the Brains folder yourself. If you move/delete/rename stuff in there, other than what is inside of a thought folder, you will likely confuse the application as it expects things to be where they are supposed to be. If you want to move your Brains folder to another location, you can do this via Preferences > System.

Regards,
-Harlan
Antonio68
Thanks Matt, Harlan,
effectively the error was due the the fact I was restoring the folder "Brains" while the TheBrain 9 was running.
Restoring with TheBrain closed allow me to recover the not deleted brain but not the one I deleted.It look like the info about the brains are also stored elsewhere than in the "Brains" folder.
Not a big issue for the moment, I am simply playing with the new version. I am still working with my version 8.

By the way, do you plan to increase the 50 MB limits for the file stored inside the brains?
Best

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

mcaton
Antonio,

Thanks for the update.

No official word yet on any file or account size limitations on the new server for v9.  But now is a great time to request what you would like them to be [smile]

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
There is additional meta-data that is stored outside of the Brains folder that tell TB9 which brains are available. That metadata does not know that your other brain was restored, thus the discrepancy. We already have a pending task to do that will allow you to fully recover everything based on what is inside the Brains folder even if your metadata folder gets deleted or out of sync (like your case).

As of right now, there is no plan to implement a size limit for attachments with V9. [smile]
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
rustyedges
Harlan,

Any updated on this... "We already have a pending task to do that will allow you to fully recover everything based on what is inside the Brains folder even if your metadata folder gets deleted or out of sync (like your case)." ???

I just installed the latest beta to try out the new attachments stuff, yet the preferences and everything were reset.  I try changing the Preferences > System > Storage to the folder of where all my previous testing on v9 was done, and get error that "an existing folder or file is in the way".  If i try to manually move the data into another, TB9 does not recognize the data.  Don't want to lose everything that I can see in my Brains folder!!!
Harlan
Sorry, that task is still pending, we've been very busy. The preferences are not reset as part of the upgrade process. I would guess that the files that store your preferences were deleted accidentally somehow or perhaps you are logged into the computer as a different user?
Regards,
-Harlan
rustyedges
Sorry I'm just coming back to this - it was lost when migrating to a new computer.  One of these brains has information I'd really like to get out.  I downloading a SQLite client to try and hack the meta db to get it to open, which looks possible but any pointers on what needs to match up would be nice
Harlan
Don't bother trying to hack it. It's not that simple to do unfortunately. We'll be addressing this issue soon. If you need it sooner we could setup a web meeting with you and do it remotely or maybe send you instructions. 
Regards,
-Harlan
rustyedges
Okay.  Not a big rush so I'll just be patient.  thanks for response!
rustyedges
I saw the release notes, but don't see where is exposed in interface to recover from my brain folders?

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software