Harlan
Release 9.0.149 is out and and includes the debut of the much-anticipated timeline feature. Events can be displayed on the timeline and optionally associated with thoughts and links. Open the timeline via View > Timeline. The features and UI of the timeline and events system are briefly documented below in the release notes.

Note: Bidirectional Google Calendar sync and alerts/notifications are being implemented but are not included in this release.
Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
Oh my.

A few first impressions.

Let's get the "I wish" stuff out of the way.
1. I wish it adopted the background color of the plex so it blends in a bit more. Or maybe give it it's own theme setting. Actually this would work better as there's no easy way to bulk change event colors once assigned.
2. I wish I could re-order the event tab on a thought. I think. [smile]
3. The icons could be refined.
4. At some point we will need a way to copy event times, and description to export/view in a text format.
5. Hopefully events and descriptions will be added to the search functionality at a future point.
6. Events disappear if you zoom too far out and they are short. I think they should still display, even if it's just a mark with no identifier so you know something is there to zoom in. Otherwise there's no visual clue.

Now that's over with...
1. I like that we can change the color of the event. This will allow me to designate and color code specific event types. The different colors translate extremely well to the visual timeline.
2. I like that events are treated as their own thing like they were in v8. You can attach or detach thoughts as needed, and have multiple events per thought. This will be useful and powerful.
3. The zooming and panning is smart and works well. I particularly like that as I zoom in early and late hours don't take up as much real estate. 
4. Zooming and panning is smooth as well. Perhaps even buttery smooth.
5. Assigning events to a link. Interesting, not sure how I'll use it yet, but I'll think of something. [wink]
6. Multiple events overlapping with different time spans works very well. I like the way the identifier stays on screen to the left if the start is before the timeline range.

Wow. I find the visual appearance of the timeline much more useable and effective than Calendar view. Very well thought out and I think this is a massive improvement
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
zenrain
Bug report. If you scroll all the way to year 0 it causes TheBrain to crash. Apparently some people do that sort of thing. [biggrin]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
Kriggel23
I do really appreciate the effort you put into this, BUT ... what shall this be? Calendar 2.0?

There's no VISUAL(!!) integration into the plex, it's more or less just a kind of ruler added to the bottom of the display.

You've missed the chance to add time as a kind of "dimension" to the plex itself, e.g. as horizontal or vertical presentation of dates, related to given thoughts, with all those nice plex-handling options.
All date information entered so far (I'm not the only one using the "yyyy-mm-dd" notation...) are not usable/used for this "timeline".
(... and I won't rework several ten thousands of thoughts with related dates in order to make use of this "timeline")

Sorry, but: I do not like this kind of "timeline".

Christian
Visnet
I updated to 9.0.149 here on Windows 7. The edit events window is cutoff on the bottom, which makes it hard to view the attached thought. I am also looking for the button to activate the thought, but am afraid this is cutoff as well?
Also pressing the action (bars?) button does not show any text or clear icons. 

I like the potential! But there is still work needed on it.

2017-02-09 10_48_10-.png 

Wim
NorthFarm
Overall impression. Wow - cool. :-)

Bug (at least on my system). If I right-click the menu only stays visible for a second and then disappears. So I cannot change Attach, Delete or get into Properties.
Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 8.0.2.2 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_121
...and now testing TheBrain 9.0.158.0 :-)
korm
zenrain wrote: A few first impressions.
What Alex said.

I think I was expecting Timeline to be a timeline of thoughts in the open brain (e.g., timeline of create dates, I guess).  There's still possible a kludgy method for this if we avoid syncing with Google calendar (when available), which won't be hard for me since I don't want to sync.  But we'd still have to add an event to every new thought, which is a two-step process.

If we could (a) drag existing thoughts to the Timeline and (b) have a setting or button or something that automatically adds new thoughts to the Timeline at creation time, so we don't have to do the bit of adding an event to the new thought.

Timeline is a brilliant but unexpectedly different feature.  I like it that it's part of v9, I don't like it that it seems to be intended for a Google-oriented use case.   Early days, of course.
Visnet
I am seeing the same issue like NorthFarm; right-click on an item in timeline the menu only flashes and is gone. On windows for my situation.

Also, when I add or update an Event and want to select time, the list of time is only showing US 12Hr format, where I want to use 24hr format. I can fill in 24 hr formats by hand, so it the list being wrong?
2017-02-09 14_04_49-.png 

Wim
enkidu
Harlan,

• As the SINGLE most important FUNCTIONAL FEATURE since v7 : APPLAUSE  - I appreciate this feature much more than the port from Java to Native.

• As long as the equivocal situation exists between Thoughts and Events, its usefulness is stunted :
       -    people using TheBrain as a Calendar / Project manager app will find it useful
       -    people (including myself) who use TheBrain as a Mindmapping app will find it frustrating

Nonetheless, I truly appreciate the great effort gone into this functional development. We are only steps away from having a "Timeline view of thoughts" ordered either by creation date, though name, or thought content.

kind regads
enkidu
Cerebrum
This is a great feature! [thumb]

A few things, though ...
  1. I'd like the default name of the event to be the name of the linked thought, similar to how the Calendar works in TB8. Currently, if I don't specify the Event name (which curiously is identified as "Summary"), the Event is not saved. 
  2. Likewise with color: If there's a linked thought, the Event color should default to the color of the thought. Also, perhaps there should be "Event Types" with a color specified for each type.  
  3. It would be nice to add an Event by right-mouse clicking on a Thought, instead of Add attachment/Add Event.
  4. For me, "All day" is really "On a specific day with no specific time". I don't need the timeline to show a 24-hour event, but instead some indication (perhaps at midnight or at noon) that there's something on that day.
  5. Given that the Event input window shows duration when specifying the end time, it would be nice if we could see the duration when viewing an Event, and perhaps even filter by duration. 
  6. Have Reports filter on Thoughts with Events, and with the option to specify a date range.
  7. Have a way of exporting Event data.
  8. When navigating with the small calendar (at the far right), we should be able to specify a date.
  9. Have a right-click menu on the timeline itself with navigation options.
  10. When I create an event from the timeline, it's annoying to see what's behind the translucent Event entry window.  The window should be opaque.

I think that the timeline could be very useful, especially if there's some way of having the events identified in the Plex, e.g. have something like the Thought Label or the Tag indicator, and filter Thoughts based on Events. 
zenrain
Update. After a day of use I'm really liking Day, Week, Month and Year views/buttons also. Really good ways to get an overview or quickly get to my current day/weeks detail.
It would be nice if we had the option to assign keyboard accelerators to them. 

Really nice job on this everyone.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
mcaton
Lots to process here.  Thanks everyone for your feedback.  We'll start documenting the issues and discussing the requests.

For starters - the year 0 issue reported by Zen - replicated and documented.

Thanks,
Matt
mcaton
Wim,

Thanks for posting.  I've confirmed that the properties window for an event is slightly cut off on Windows 7 - however, clicking on the hamburger button should still give you the option to attach, delete, etc.  You are not seeing that?

Thanks,
Matt
Harlan
Thanks for all the feedback. Glad you are enjoying the timeline so far.

I believe most of the issues brought up here have been fixed in 9.0.150. A few minor improvements/feature requests have also been thrown in for good measure. [smile]
Regards,
-Harlan
Cerebrum
From Version 9.0.150 Release: "Allow keyboard shortcuts for timeline toolbar commands"

Nice! 

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software