mctrexler
As I look through all of TheBrain video tutorials (except the Brian 101 which doesn't play), it is obvious they are all intended for people who see value in TheBrain, and are intending to or who have downloaded TheBrain.  

What I'm looking for is a training wheels video or Brain that is intended for people coming to Webbrain to access Brains.  They know nothing about TheBrain, have not been at all convinced of its value, and are as likely as not to run the other direction.  I'm trying to come with an EXTREMELY simple mini-Brain and/or video for these people.  

"I am a child-thought.  Click on me."
"I am another child thought.  But I have two parents."
(Parent 1) I'm a "new" parent to you.  Click on me.
Now you see a Jump thought appear.  Click on me. 
etc. etc. 

Do any such training wheels videos/Brains exist that you might be able to point me to as an alternative to doing it from scratch?

Thanks,

Mark
metta
I agree with you completely, Mark. It would be wonderful to have a simple, user-friendly, step-by-step video guide to the webbrain interface.

As you know, I've been thinking about creating one such video myself for any brain I share with others simply because most of the "deer-in-the-headlights" reports I get from first time webbrain visitors suggest to me that something like this is sorely needed for many (if not most) new webbrain users.

Even better still would be a professional video made by TheBrain experts ;-) -- and I love the idea of creating a mini-demo brain! I may even give more thought to creating one myself....especially if one does not already exist....
mctrexler
Metta, my crude start as such a training wheels brain is here:  https://webbrain.com/u/19Ps   The balloons indicate (will) that there's a 10-30 second help recording associated with the thought.  I need to figure out how much of a delay there is in playing such a recording in webbrain (just haven't had the chance yet).    

Thoughts?

Mark
mctrexler
Just realized that I need to use colored and thicker links with arrows to make the idea of the training brain even clearer.  
metta
Clever! Glad to see what you are up to (again), Mark. I like where you are headed with this. :-)

As for the connecting links, a contrasting color would be good. (Larger diameter would probably not be necessary if the contrast is high enough.)

You could also consider adding custom link labels as I did on the links in my neural retraining brain: "Next" or "Link #1", etc.

Alternatively (and perhaps even better) you could consider numbering each of these thoughts, or labeling them as steps....or, at the very least, you may want to find a way to keep the "Click me" text at the front end of thought name so it doesn't disappear at the end of a long thought name in the webbrain.

For example:
> Click me #1: Hands-on Training
> Click me #2: This is a child thought
> Click me #3: This is a child thought with 2 parents, etc.

.o00o.

I'd also be sure to take advantage of the opportunity to incorporate explanatory text in the notes of this "mini-brain", since some people may have their speakers muted and may never even realize a brief audio clip is running. Also, some people (like me) are MUCH more visual than auditory and might actually prefer to have written (rather than audio) instructions.

In fact, it might be infinitely simpler for you to provide a clear written instruction in each note to click on the audio link rather than trying to figure out how to manage and trigger an automatic (but delayed) audio start-up.

This instruction to click on the audio link could be coupled with the written text from the audio file, and this would allow you to accommodate the preferences of both auditory and visual learners.

Just my first 2 cents.....Your thoughts?
mctrexler
All good ideas.  I'll play with them.  

Mark
metta
Do keep us posted on your progress.

I'm likely to steal liberally since this will significantly enhance the 'preview' brain I've already created. ;-)
mctrexler
Metta, no audio yet, but a lot else.  Take a look at this 14 Click brain tutorial.  https://webbrain.com/u/19Ps 

Moltaire
Agree that a popup with a video to a basic webbrain tutorial whenever someone first comes to a webbrain would be a great feature.
metta
Looks fabulous, Mark! Very similar to "Tour" I created in my neural retraining brain. However, I think the numerical clicks in your thought names and the bold arrow links make it even more user friendly. Keep up the good work! :-)

LATER: I hope you don't have any problem with the images (slides) you've embedded in each of the "training" thoughts. I've had frustrating problems with images randomly and unrpredictably disappearing from within the notes in all of my brains (at one time or another) -- so you might want to consider adding each slide as an attachment, at least until you are confident that all the images are NOT going to vanish into thin air. (FYI, I did all of my own tour narration within the notes editor itself, simply so I wouldn't risk losing any of my tour instructions if any descriptive images ever mysteriously disappeared.)
mctrexler
I will keep a close eye on the Notes slides - I haven't had as much of a problem as you have, but we don't use the Notes field much.  The reason that I really like using the PPT slide format is that the same slide can play multiple duties.  As a Note, as a Thought Icon, including for multiple thoughts.  When we change a slide (and at this point we have 990 of them in use in the Climate Web, it's much easier to swap out the slide than to have to go in and re-write text).  Just FYI, each slide is numbered so it is very easy to find each slide in the massive PPT that holds them all.  And we try to put the number of each slide into the Label field of the thought, so it's actually simple to find where that slide is in the Climate Web.  Didn't use to do that, and went nuts trying to figure out where the heck the slide was used.  
metta
If I had more confidence that my images in my notes would not be lost, I would MUCH prefer doing what you are doing!

Hopefully, this issue of losing images will be a moot point with V9.

In the meantime, I really appreciate knowing that you have all your original (backup) icons warehoused in PPT. This is actually what I was asking about several months ago (in one of our private chats) when I inquired about how you were managing to store (backup) all your thought icons.

Using PPT sounds like a really great system! :-)
mctrexler
And I've now added short audio files into most of the Hands-On Training thoughts.
mctrexler
It is just the slides that are backed up as a PPT, and that's a small fraction of the total thought icons.  We probably have close to 10,000 thought icons based on screen shots of one kind or another.  Don't really have a way to back all of them up in the same way.  
metta
Ah, of course. Thanks for clarifying.

Hopefully there won't be much risk of losing your screen shot icons.

I actually have had some trouble with icons (and pins) not syncing properly in the past (sounds like you may have, too?), but I haven't much of this trouble recently -- and I'm hoping V9 will eventually be more stable in this regard.

Also, looking forward to checking out your new audio files! :-)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software