sibleyd
This is the second time this has happened.

It will download the new version and then just spin saying it is updating while never finishing forever. 

Last time, I ignored the new update and then eventually a newer update did successfully update.

Each time this problem has affected only some not all of my computers. Last time it affected 1 computer out of 2. This time 2 out of 3. 

This time the problem is with going from 10.0.17 to 10.0.20.

Actually, I am not sure the problem corrected itself last time with a newer update. I may have uninstalled and then reinstalled which is a significant effort given the large size of the brain.
sibleyd
Curiously, when I downloaded the update off the web site and manually activated it, the update went without incident on both computers with the problem. But, when I tried to use the automatic update process from the help menu, it failed repeatedly multiple times on both.
ruudhein
Same. Auto update's installer has been hanging somewhere on the uninstall or so for a couple of minor versions now. Only way to get it done is by downloading manually.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | TheBrain v10.0.23.0
Harlan
Sorry this continues to be an inconvenience on Windows. Unfortunately troubleshooting this problem is difficult because it is not consistently reproducible and the code that performs the update is not ours but rather the Windows installer software.
Regards,
-Harlan
ErichA
I have the same issue since the last two, or three updates. The install doesn't finish and goes into an endless loop (on a Surface Pro, Win 10 latest build).
The only workaround seems to abort the running installation, and then download and install the latest Brain release directly from the website. 
ruudhein
I understand this must be hard to troubleshoot.

I just ran an update of Typora and it executed flawlessly. 

TheBrain's updates is stuck when it is displaying its own graphical "updating" window. When I run the installer I download, that window doesn't appear and the installation goes without a hitch.
Manni
Same here, as reported a few times in other threads. This happened today after attempting to upgrade 17 to 22.
TB V10.0.23.0 running in a Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803 VM (Parallels 14) in Mac OS V10.14 (Mojave Public release). Host is a 2018 MBP 13" with 16Gb of RAM, 2TB SSD and i7 @ 2.7Ghz. Win VM has 8GB of RAM and 2 cores available, Mac Host has 8GB of RAM and 2 cores available as well.
metta
Brain froze completely when I tried to update from 10.0.22 to 10.0.23, and had to be closed manually using my Win7 Task Manager. Output log has been attached to another new help desk ticket.

I also confess to being mystified about why there's been an "Official Release" of TB10 today when there are still so many active and unresolved bugs including problems updating to newer versions (see above), sync issues that require reverting to TB9, frozen plex, etc. Seems strange to me to encourage users to adopt a new version that still needs debugging.
Manni
Hi Metta,

Not to say that everything is working for everyone, as I'm sure the issues you're experiencing are real, but I've been using V10 beta in production mode (done two 3-day workshops with it in the last month or so) and it has been rock stable. No issue with sync at all (with quite complex brains containing lots of attachements), doing presentations for 8 hours a day, 3 days in a row, playing video files, displaying charts and slides in presentation mode etc...

There are some issues (for example this not working auto update on Windows, and some minor cosmetic issues with attachments/icons that migth be fixed in 23+ builds, I haven't had the time to check) but it's nothing that makes the software itself unstable, at least in my experience.

The only things potentially leading to data corruption are when using the software in a non "standard" way, for example me wanting to use the same database from two windows accounts or stuff like that, which I hope will be fixed at some point but doesn't warrant not going to release, as very few users are concerned.

I've archived and backup-up all my old V8 brains so I can re-import them in V10 if needed, but I'm using V10 exclusively now, with all my active brains, including those put online as webbrains for the participants of my workshops (V10 is a fabulous improvement in this area, especially the way it shows attachments, that's one of the many reasons why I switched as soon as I could and didn't look back).

And that's from someone who entirely skipped V9 as you know because some key features had gone (especially presentation mode), so it's not as if I'm the kind of user who wants to be on the latest and greatest at any cost...

So at least for some of us, it's not shocking to see V10 go to release (and it's nice not to have the time limitation of the beta) now that the software is very stable, again for some us 🙂

PS: not saying this to undermine your comment of course, just to explain why going to release makes sense for those of us who don't experience the issues you are. Most people post in a beta to report issues (I'm the first one to do so) but that gives a distorted view of the larger user base. If you haven't heard much from me recently, it's because I was using the software happily 🙂
TB V10.0.23.0 running in a Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803 VM (Parallels 14) in Mac OS V10.14 (Mojave Public release). Host is a 2018 MBP 13" with 16Gb of RAM, 2TB SSD and i7 @ 2.7Ghz. Win VM has 8GB of RAM and 2 cores available, Mac Host has 8GB of RAM and 2 cores available as well.
mcaton
Thanks everyone for posting and sharing.  If you do have any difficulty with the auto upgrade, the latest download is always available from http://www.thebrain.com/download. I'm not putting any auto update issues to rest - just sharing a reminder of other options.

Also, we've updated and restarted the servers several times over the past few days in preparation for today's release.  Sync should be running fast and smooth now with 10.0.23.

Thank you,
Matt
Manni
By the way, I tried to update from build 22 to 23 using the check for update, and it still doesn't work. I had to download and install manually.
So this was still not fixed in 22, at least in Windows.
metta
@Manni ~ Glad to hear your experience with TB10 has been good! I know how important the presentation functionality is for your work, and it's good to know TB10 now fills the bill! 🙂 -- FYI, I also thought of you and your presentations recently when an older forum post on presentations was reactivated. Perhaps it might be of interest, if you have not already seen it?

@Matt ~ I'm also pleased to report the initial automatic update (v.23) on my laptop installation proceeded without a hitch.

In addition, my 2nd attempt using the automatic update on my desktop installation did eventually work, as well, so I didn't have to update manually. (This has been a common pattern in my experience: 1st update attempt locks up, 2nd or 3rd attempt works.)

However, my brain tabs were lost again following my desktop update, so that problem apparently has not yet been resolved.
metta
Just now confirmed that others are having problems with freezes during the .23 update, as well.
ruudhein
Tried doing mine automatic. Let it run by itself for about an hour. Nothing. Just did the manual update: not a problem.
metta
= Update =

FYI, bugs with our new release candidate (TB10.0.23) during the last 2 hours include a complete brain freeze during normal use (not while updating), more sync issues, a new search bug and now a problem with TB10.0.23 not recognizing my Pro Account registration.

Help desk tickets have been updated and/or created for all of the aforementioned issues, with screenshots and output logs shared.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software