vinpahilwani
well there are so many features in personal brain thought subject, thought type, subtype, link type, notes, the connection points on thoughts so many features if i want to use it in a small consultancy firm as its own ERP SYSTEM I HAVE TO DEFINATLY THINK ABOUT THESE ASPECT 1. WHAT SHOULD BE CONTENT AND 2. WHERE IT SHOULD FIT IN THE STRUCTURE NEED REAL HELP THANKS IN ADVANCE
Vinod Pahilwani
http://www.easymanager.in/
mbaas
From my own experience, I can only recommend to just go ahead and START doing it . You might just end up in an endless design-process leading nowhere. PB's way of linking and presenting information (as well as modifying the structure)  is so "effortless" that I would not overcomplicate things.

Sure, some conventions will help - but what you need and how to do it is best found out in practice. It's easy to rearrange connections or change thought-type afterwards, if you feel something needs to changed.

A few suggestions, maybe others can add to it:
  • I have a dedicated thought-type "under construction" with an appropriate icon () which I set whenever I'm not totally satisfied with the way in which I modeled some info. That will at least make sure you have the info in PB already
  • One important thing for me is the organization of my contacts. I like to have a regional view (by country, state and town) as well as (just recently added) by category, i.e. ppl in sw-development linked to their skills, consultants grouped by their topics etc.
  • read this topic, the comments, the blog and watch the video - lots of good meta-thoughts there
Hope this helps a bit

Michael 

zenrain
I totally agree with mbaas on this one. Just do it and it will sort itself out later. As you input more information in, how you link things in a way that makes sense to you will start to come naturally.

Unless of course this is a brain that must be read by other people, in which case a sense of structure is a bit more required.
In that case, I would generally group thoughts by parent thoughts that make logical sense in your scenario (location, building, product area). Don't be afraid to have multiple parents, and don't be afraid of making mistakes, mass select is a lifesaver.
Then for jump thoughts, I generally use them for stuff I need to know, or access easily when I'm looking at that thought.
Finally, I use Type, and or create subtypes only when I need to do searches on sections of information. For example, I have a section in my Brain for Government information. I have a type of Country, subtypes of Federal, state/province, and then also subtypes of form and specifications. This way I can easily do reports on all states, all forms, federal forms only, etc etc.

As a final thought (pun intended), with the constant improvements in searching and instant search The Brain is incorporating in the new releases, structure is starting to matter less and less, as it's so easy to find thoughts. It's really becoming only a matter of making sure you have your pertinent links attached.

Good luck!
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jataylor
I'll add my agreement.

Part of the challenge for me when I began using PersonalBrain, was moving away from hierarchical thinking.

I was really afraid that I'd lose something.

Because I keep everything in my Brain, I found this initial organization useful: Under my name, which is the Main Thought, I have the following child thoughts: Dashboard, Personal, Professional, and Reference.  These became my main gates to the rest of my Brain.

As my Brain developed, I added four jumps: Start, Events, People, and Timeline.

Everything flows from these eight thoughts.  As I began to develop thoughts under this simple hierarchy, and fluid organization began to develop:  I added things like General Topics under the Reference Category; Specific Projects under the Professional Category; etc.

I also prune as I go along.  If there's an area of my Brain I don't like, I develop it further to pattern my thinking process.  As my Brain grows, my organization improves.  It only takes a matter of seconds to make major changes (much easier than our traditional hierarchical systems), and my Brain can fluidly respond to any changes.

And I've never lost anything.  I have a big Brain, and I can find anything in it in 5 seconds or less.

Your best first step is to begin using the Brain.  Your own thinking patterns will develop your Brain into a tool that works best for you.

John A. Taylor
PB Pro 6
Win XP, Win 7

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software