dubnick
Using 4088
Windows XP SP2

Two of my Brain files will not open -- giving message: "PersonalBrain 4 could not create or connect to the database. Please make sure you do not already have this Brain open and try again." All other Brain files (old and new) work.

I was advised to copy those files to new directory, so copied .brain and x_brain for both from "My Brains" directory to "brains" directory. Same result.

Very frustrated! One of these is very large brain file, other is more moderate in size....

Help!

Shiiko
When one opens a second instance of PB, the warning that you mentioned always comes up because the second instance is pointing to the same brain that is already open.  

What you need to do is select OK, then go to File > Open Brain.  Look for the second brain that you would like to open, with the extension .brain.  And that should open the second brain.

Hope that this helps.

jprunnels

dubnick wrote:
Using 4088
Windows XP SP2

Two of my Brain files will not open -- giving message: "PersonalBrain 4 could not create or connect to the database. Please make sure you do not already have this Brain open and try again." All other Brain files (old and new) work.

I was advised to copy those files to new directory, so copied .brain and x_brain for both from "My Brains" directory to "brains" directory. Same result.

Very frustrated! One of these is very large brain file, other is more moderate in size....

Help!

I have had this happen after an unexpected error. I found that personalbrain.exe is still running in the task manager... after ending the task, everything started working. Since some brains will open for you, it doesn't sound like the same problem, but...

dubnick
Thanks for advice, but it looks like something more basic -- and the good surgeons at TheBrain are looking at the files now... Will keep thread readers posted....

Mel

mcaton

We fixed Mel's Brain files with an automatic backup.  When the PersonalBrain application opens a Brain file, it automatically creates a backup. This backup is stored in the brain.backup file and can be used in the rare event if a Brain fails to open. Note that this backup is not a substitute for a full backup as it does not include any of the attachments and other data that is not contained within the Brain database directly.  Full backups should be done using the Create BrainZip command.

Matt Caton
TheBrain Technologies

dubnick
Yes, and my thanks to Matt and the others who figured this out -- scary when you have such large brain files as I had.

mcaton wrote:

Note that this backup is not a substitute for a full backup as it does not include any of the attachments and other data that is not contained within the Brain database directly. 

As it turned out, however, I did not lose any of the attachments or notes -- but I am now a fanatic brain-zipper....

Thanks again matt....

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software