Kriggel23
See below: I've linked two dates to one thought. One got the label "born on", the other got the type (!) "born on".

Now, I search for "born on". Listed is the link with the label, and an event. The typed link is, well, not listed ...

The background: I would like to use link types more extensive. But without search coverage, this makes no sense.

Kriggel23

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-19 um 08.23.18.png    
Harlan
Link types are not searched because there is no way to activate a link type. You can run a report on that link type, but you cannot access it from search.
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
OK, thanks, that's an explanation, and I see, how I could handle link types...

It's stringent, it's the same on thought and thought types - if I search for e.g. "plant", the thought type 'plant' will be listed, and any thought with 'plant' in it's name (notes, etc.), but NO thought which got the type 'plant'. Yes, I understand.
My expectation was wrong, sorry.

I don't want to bother you, just an idea: Google accepts search strings like "TheBrain filetype: pdf".
What if TB9 would understand "type: plant", or "type: born on"...?

Christian
mcaton
This type of search is done by running a report, but I'll certainly document this as a feature request for further consideration.

Thanks,
Matt
Whoosh
I would like to strongly support the idea of making link types 'searchable' in the same way types en tags are. There is an icon in the top bar (TB 9) that lets you select a type or tag, and thereby selects all nodes of that type or provided with that tag. In fact, it seems very odd that link types cannot be handled the same way.
Use case: I often use typed links to link people to organisations in a certain role. For instance, a thought of type 'internal employer' is linked to a thought of type 'department' using the link type 'department manager'. It would obviously be a bonus if I could display all department managers by selecting all links of that particular type.
I can see a few caveats like how to use (absence of) direction here, but still: it would be e tremendous help...
Cerebrum

@Whoosh,

This is currently available in the Report area: Link Types show up at the bottom of the list of Types.

FWIW, take a look at this topic: Better separation of Thought Types and Link Types in Report area.

Edited: I see now that you are probably referring to the list of Types and Tags rather than the Report area. 

Whoosh
Thx @Cerebrum. I must say, I would never have searched in Report/Types for this, so your reply sure helps.
Two things remain:
  1. As you already saw, I would have (also) expected this alongside the Types ans Tags lists;
  2. Trying to use the Report area to answer the question as stated in my post of Nov 06, I would need a 'AND'operator, whereas the Report area seems only to support a 'OR' operator. To elaborate: I would need to search for thoughts of type 'person' AND links of type 'department manager' to result in a list of all department managers.

Still, many thanks for your pointer!
metta
+1 for providing a pull-down listing of link types (comparable to the menus of thought types and tags ) that would allow us to manage the properties of our various link types.

Better still would be a static display of link types comparable to the static listing of thought types and tags provided in TB8.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software