Lunieth
The Brain8 Software is asking for user name and password to sync brain with online version:

Failed to connect to TheBrain Cloud Services Server
This could be caused by a problem with your network connection or the server at https://webbrain.com.

I do not seem to be having network issues with other applications, so I am assuming it is a problem with the Server.

I can connect to the server via a web browser - however, I am getting a security certificate warning.

The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid...

But if I ignore this, I can update the server version of my brains..(although they do not sync with my desktop versions)
ratthing
I'm having the same issue today.   It looks like the certificate for webbrain.com expired yesterday.
pthompson
Thanks for the report. This has now been resolved.
metta
I've been getting the same error message since Sunday evening.

No sign of improvement or resolution here.

Please advise.

(Version 8.0.2.2 on Windows 7 Desktop)
metta
Turns out my proxy server settings need to be changed. All is working now as it should.

Thanks, Brigitte!

[wave]
Brigitte
Thanks for the update Metta - good to hear that you are back up and everything is running properly again.

If anyone else is still experiencing problems with connecting to TheBrain Cloud, please follow the instructions below:

Older versions of Java are not able to use the newer HTTPS certificates. Updating to Java 8 will resolve this. Unfortunately sometimes preventing older versions of Java from running is not straight forward and thus we have created the following step-by-step process.

Uninstall and Remove All Old Versions of Java
  1. Close all applications running on your computer, including TheBrain.
  2. Uninstall Java via Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Click on each version of Java you see in the list here and click the Uninstall button.
  3. Look in C:\Program Files (x86)& C:\Program Files for a Java folder. Delete this folder if found.
  4. Look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common FilesC:\Program Files\Common Files for a i4j_jre folder. Delete this folder if found.
  5. Attempt to run TheBrain. It should fail to start, with a message that says "No JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE fromhttp://www.java.com"
  6. If TheBrain starts, this means that there is still a version of Java installed somewhere on your system. Look in the locations above and delete the Java folders. Contact us for help if you cannot locate and remove Java.
Download Java 8
  1. Go to http://www.java.com and download the latest version of Java 8 (update 101 as of this writing).
  2. The installer will download additional components then begin the install.
  3. After installing, a browser will open and prompt you to verify that the latest version has been successfully installed.
Start TheBrain
  1. Open TheBrain again. It should start normally.
  2. Check Help > About TheBrain for the version of Java being used. The third line of text should read "J-1.8.0_101."
  3. Success!
Please write into support@thebrain.com, if you have any difficulty with the above steps and we will be happy to troubleshoot them with you.

Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies
metta
Brigitte,

After changing my proxy server settings (per your recommendation over the phone), and then successfully logging in and using my brain for several days, I've run into problems again.

I can still (apparently) login, but after the login, TheBrain now defaults to the Free Edition even though I have a Pro account.

Moreover, when I try to sync my brain, I get the following error message: 
        Sync failed. Please try again in a few minutes. 
        Error: You do not have permission to sync with this brain.

In light of this, I've reopened my previous help desk request, documenting my unsuccessful attempt to correct the problem using the instructions provided above....In the meantime, I just wanted to let you know this issue still not has been completely resolved....

Thanks again,
Metta

P.S.
I am also very much looking forward to the public release of V9, along with the new webbrain, so we can leave these Java headaches behind once and for all! ;-)
shinyplastic
Hi All,

I am getting the same problems with the error "Sync failed. Please try again in a few minutes. Error: You do not have permissions to sync with this brain."

Interestingly I also tried to log into my webbrain, and it logs in for a split second (and almost shows a plex) then flashes to "You must login before you can view the requested Brain.".

I am 100% sure of my password (just did a reset to test this).

So there is a problem on PB 8.022 Windows 10 Pro 1511 Java 1.8.101, and it looks to me to be with the webbrain login process.

Cheers,

Matt.
metta
Thanks for the update, Matt!

I'm glad to know it's not just me and my brain.....

;-)
shinyplastic
Hi,

Seems to be back up and working this morning, now I have to change the password on all my clients!

PC syncs, and can log into Webbrain.

Cheers,

Matt.
metta
Thanks for your feedback, Matt.

I was also able to sync, but strangely I still can't access any of the Pro features.

Will troubleshoot this through the Help Desk.
pthompson
Metta,

Can you please try the instructions mentioned by Brigitte above?
mcaton
Metta,

I understand that you just spoke to Brigitte via a web meeting and, following the Java upgrade steps, are logged in and syncing fine.

If anyone else is still having sync issues, please review the Java 8 upgrade (and Java 7 removal) steps outlined above, or contact support@thebrain.com and we'll review the process with you via a web meeting.

Thank you,
Matt
metta
Just to clarify, Patrick.....

Before talking with Brigitte, I actually had tried following the instructions provided above -- without any success whatsoever, as detailed in my help ticket.

In fact, there were 2 unresolved issues after following these instructions:
(1) TheBrain was still running even though the Java site said I had no Java installed and
(2) I received an error message when attempting to download Java 8, and I was unable to download it.

In the end, the only way we could resolve the issue was for Brigitte to help me find the hidden Java files that were deeply embedded in my program files.

That finally did the trick -- and I am very grateful to her for help in finding the errant files.

Thank you also for your follow-up and help checking in here.

With appreciation,
Metta
pthompson
Metta,

I'm glad you were able to get up and running! [biggrin]

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software