CaptainJustice
(edited) I am running v 8.0.2.2 Pro on Windows 10. This setup has been running for months. My Pro Combo account subscription is active as shown in my webbrain account.

This computer did not get online for a couple of days and upon starting my Brain, a message popped up that it had not synced for over 24 hours and to do a manual sync. 

Under the Online tab, everything is greyed out including the manual sync choice, except for the "Login to TheBrain cloud services" choice and that login does not work. I can login to https://webbrain.com into my account just fine. I see my online brains. But when trying to login to TheBrain cloud services from my desktop brain I get: Error validating account. Failed to connect to TheBrain Cloud Services server. This could be caused by a problem with your network connection or the server at https://webbrain.com.  As I said, I can connect to it through my browser just fine. I have temporarily disabled my firewall to make sure there is no blockage there.

I get the identical result on two different computers running on the same network. And on this computer when connecting to the internet via a different connection. 

It appears that my inability to sync, manually or automatically, is caused by a failure to authenticate the online account. But why?

Any thoughts?

--
The Cap'n
Brigitte

The following steps will resolve this issue. Older versions of Java are not able to use the newer HTTPS certificates. Updating to Java 8 will resolve this. Unfortunately sometimes preventing older versions of Java from running is not straight forward and thus we have created the following step-by-step process.

Uninstall and Remove All Old Versions of Java

1. Close all applications running on your computer, including TheBrain.
2. Uninstall Java via Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. Click on each version of Java you see in the list here and click the Uninstall button.
3. Look in C:\Program Files (x86) for a Java folder. Delete this folder if found.
4. Look in C:\Program Files for a Java folder. Delete this folder if found.
5. Look in C:\Program Files\Common Files for a i4j_jre folder. Delete this folder if found.
6. Attempt to run TheBrain. It should fail to start, with a message that says "No JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from http://www.java.com"
7. If TheBrain starts, this means that there is still a version of Java installed somewhere on your system. Look in the locations above and delete the Java folders. Contact us for help if you cannot locate and remove Java.

Download Java 8

1. Go to http://www.java.com and download the latest version of Java 8 (update 101 as of this writing).
2. The installer will download additional components then begin the install.
3. After installing, a browser will open and prompt you to verify that the latest version has been successfully installed.

Start TheBrain

1. Open TheBrain again. It should start normally.
2. Check Help > About TheBrain for the version of Java being used. The third line of text should read "J-1.8.0_101."
3. Success!

If you are still having trouble, please call us at +310-751-5000 or write into support@thebrain.com.

Best regards,

Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies

mikesingleton
Captain FYI - I had an issue last night when both my computers reverted to the trial version of the Brain 8. It was most frustrating. This morning I logged on and everything is fine again. I suspect a glitch at the Brain end with account verification but I could be wrong and it may not be related to your issue.
maybe not related  
CaptainJustice
Brigitte,
Thank you. In the interim, I had found another posting with those steps and they do indeed work. we can either delete this thread, or perhaps with the different topic name it may be helpful to leave it.
--
The Cap'n
RobvL
I happened to receive the same answer today. I already have a Java8 VM on my system and would rather have instructions how to make the Brain use this, in stead of removing VM's that may be used by other applications

Rob
mcaton
Captain, 

Good to hear that the solution worked.  We'll leave the thread here in case others find it useful to resolve their issue.

The instructions above will remove Java 1.7.  After TheBrain connects with 1.8 - you can re-instal 1.7 if it's needed by another app.  TheBrain will keep it's 1.8 connection.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software