Pragy
New user here. I've been looking for mindmapping software, and the features offered by The Brain instantly took me in. Here's my rather sad journey so far.

Downloaded the windows client, and installed it. After installtion, launched the client.

- Why am I on the beta channel!? I just downloaded from the official download button on your website. Supposedly you guys are on version 9, but still beta!?
- First startup time was 12 seconds!? I'm on my okayish laptop with no other processes running, 3 gigs of unused RAM, non-SSD system.
- The interface is annoyingly slow and laggy. Clicking next on the startup tips is laggy. Opening the preferences box takes 3+ seconds. Switching tabs in the preferences dialog takes atleast 1 second per switch! WTF?
- Tried creating my first brain. Clicked the link on the startup page for creating it. Waited for 30+ seconds, and then it crashed! Seriously?
- Relaunched it (the updater was stuck, had to manually kill both processes and relaunch. Relaunch time was also 10+ seconds), and there was the new tutorial brain. Clicking any node takes 1+ seconds to expand?
- Opening the file menu takes almost a second!

- Came to the forum to report this, and see if I was the only one (maybe it's my lappy's issue). Oh sure, create another account for the forums? I just created one for The Brain, I can't use the same one?
- Created an account using Username, Password, Email. Clicked Create account, and got greeted by "Invalid Verification Code"!? WTF, there wasn't any verification code. Checked back to see if I missed it. Nopes, there's no verification code on the login/signup dialog. The human verification is only in the full size register page.

Great going guys. You're on your 9th freaking version, but still have so many issues? How do you guys earn!?

I was so happy to have found a full featured mindmapping software. But no thanks now. This software sucks.
mcaton
Pragy,

Thanks for posting and sharing you experience.  I'm sorry to hear that the first impression was not a good one. Let me start by saying Welcome to TheBrain! We're happy to help correct these issues and get you up and running properly as soon as possible.

Yes, TheBrain 9 is still in Beta. We've posted this information on the download page, on the About screen in the app, etc.  Although it is still classified as Beta, we feel strongly that the current available build is far superior to TheBrain 8 (which is also still available from a link on our download page if you are not comfortable with Beta Software).  Additionally, there are different channels in the software - depending on what you are comfortable with.  When running TheBrain, click on Options > Preferences > System tab where you can switch over to the Alpha Channel for the absolute latest release from the developers as TheBrain 9 continues to evolve.

If you are interested in seeing which features/fixes have recently been included, a full list of release notes will always be available at  http://forums.thebrain.com/?forum=92430

Which brings us to your slowness/lag issue.  We have recently updated the software with some performance optimizations, but I believe if you've recently downloaded, you would have installed 9.0.236 (or higher) which would include these updates.  To be sure, when you are running TheBrain and experiencing the lag you have encountered, you can click on Help > Open Log directory to access an Output.log file.  You can email this file to support@thebrain.com with a description of your issue and we'll then take a closer look to see if we can find the cause.

Recently, some forum users posted that they were able to resolve some VERY similar issues by white-listing TheBrain in their local antivirus software (such as Avast and WebRoot). You can read more about that here:  http://forums.thebrain.com/post/9288741 . This area of our forums (TheBrain 9 Desktop Beta)  has a great deal of active discussion on development/functionality of TheBrain 9 Beta that you may find helpful and or interesting. You mentioned TheBrain having "so many issues" above... please feel free to post other questions in this category, or directly email support@thebrain.com at any time.

Being as you are new to TheBrain, I would also like to encourage you to join a Brain 101 class.  I personally present these classes (typically every Friday) and demonstrate the basics behind getting started with TheBrain 9.  I'll share sample Brains, my own personal Brain and even create a new Brain from scratch. At the end of the class, I'll also answer and/or demonstrate functionality for any additional attendee questions. You can sign up at http://www.thebrain.com/101 .

And finally, I'm sorry to hear that you also had difficulty creating an account on the forums.  We'll review our forum sign up process to see if it can be streamlined for less frustration in the future.

Thanks again for posting - I look forward to hearing from you,
Matt
metta
Matt, could you please provide the specific link to which you were referring regarding the Avast & WebRoot issues? The link provided above appears to be broken. Thanks.

Update: Guess the link is working here. Maybe it was just broken in the email message where I clicked originally. Thanks! :-)

Add a Website Forum to your website.