russnh
Revisiting some of my thoughts created years ago, I notice the notes are unreadable:

snip_20170309095557.png 
There are several notes like this, but I've no idea how many of the ~6500 thoughts are in this state or when it happened. Copying and pasting the notes into a text editor, changing file names or changing font don't get them back to English!

I can probably recreate them from my own wetware (but that's not the point of The Brain!), but any ideas what's going on? Is there a quick way to make them readable?

I was going to move this brain to PB9, but will hold off a bit now - I don't want to blame PB9 for unreadable notes!

Thanks,
Russ

PB Pro 8.0.2.2
J-1.8.9_121
Windows 7
russnh
Nobody has any ideas?
zenrain
What happens when you view them as HTML? It's a menu option, I just can't remember how to access it any more, maybe Under Tools or View?
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
russnh
Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that first! It's under View > Code and this is what happens:

snip_20170315165403.jpg 
Putting it in its own html file and viewing it in a browser gives the same result.
zenrain
Ugh, dang. Sorry, I have no clue, it looks like they were somehow corrupted. I was hoping some text might still exist in the HTML, but apparently not.

Unless this occurred recently and you have a backup you can copy it from, I'm not sure how to resolve. Sorry. [frown]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
russnh
Not to worry, I appreciate your thoughts.

I've no idea when it happened, those thoughts were created in 2009 and we've been through several brain upgrades since then. I suspect they got scrambled during a database conversion, but no idea when. I can mostly recreate them from memory, but it's a nuisance [mad]
dael
It looks like the text is the content of a pdf file. The keywords are part of the pdf specification (endstream for example). The content in between is binary. All in all strange, pdf files should be attachments, not notes.
I also can't imagine what happened if this once was a readable note.
dael
If this is a bug of the software it really is a serious one. Information in the brain should not get lost [frown]
mcaton
Russell,

You may want to also look in the Thought's containing folder.  If it's a really old note, it may be backed up there as a notes.rtf file.

To find the containing folder for a Thought, click on the Thought tool tab and then click on the icon of a folder with a green arrow - pictured below. 

containingFolder.png 

We'd like to know how this happened too.  Do you have a backup of what the original Thought contained?

Thanks,
Matt
russnh
Dael - I tried copying the text of the note to a text file and changing the file extension to pdf, but Adobe said it was a corrupt file :-(

Matt - in all cases where thoughts' notes are unreadable, the thought's containing folder says it's empty, nothing in the folder, no rtf file.

Regrettably, the  earliest backup I can find is from 2015 and the thought's details hadn't been touched since 2010 (when I assume it was readable):

snip_20170322093707.jpg 

I will look for an earlier backup on a HDD I have in storage, but I don't hold out much hope of finding one!

mcaton
Russell,

I'm also happy to join you in a web meeting for further review. We can take a look inside the database on the call and see if anything can be salvaged from the Continuous Database Backup. Please let me know if/when you may be available.

Also, just thinking out loud here, I'm seeing that one screenshot says San Sarif and another says Russfont. Any possibility that some fonts were edited/removed that could have instigated this issue?

Thanks,
Matt
russnh
Hi Matt, a web meeting would be good, though if the time difference proves difficult, not to worry! I'm in London, UK, so assume pm for me and am for you would work. Easiest on my work PC, so can be available 08:30-17:15 UTC - not sure where you are, so can't work out the time difference.

Well spotted about the font difference. The earlier screenshot is the latest brain and the later one is from my 2015 backup when I used a home-made font of my (bad) handwriting, which is a little unreadable at times. I've tried altering the font, but the notes are still unreadable whatever font's used. I've not consciously edited or removed any fonts, just added Russfont.

Thanks,
Russ
mcaton
Russ,

Not to worry about the time difference.  I keep odd hours [smile] - Please contact me directly at matt@thebrain.com with whatever time works best for you next week and we'll pursue this further.

Thanks,
Matt
russnh
Thanks Matt, I'll work out some times and get back to you.
Much appreciated.
Russ
russnh
I ran a report on all the thoughts with notes and then looked at each one to see if it was scrambled. Of the ~3000 thoughts that had notes, only 14 were actually unreadable and I can probably reconstruct those notes.

I think I'll live with them like that and not waste Matt's time hunting for a solution, particularly as I expect he'd rather spend time working on v9.

Matt - thanks for offering to investigate!

Russ

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software