Rob2050

I use the brain mostly for my own thoughts, concepts from books, things from my life. I rarely if ever use file attachments.
Can people provide examples of how you use attachments?
I guess in particular, are you syncing files in from a folder in your file system (I am mac) or ONLY storing the file in The Brain?

I have moved to TB 10 and know there are some limitations.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Rob.

metta
Since TheBrain is the hub of my digital life, I store almost any kind of digital file in my version 8 megabrain: order receipts, PDFs/ebooks, graphics, screenshots from web sites and webinars, written documents, music files, program shortcuts, tons of Internet shortcuts, etc.

Initially, I was quite hesitant to store original documents in TheBrain, but I've grown increasingly comfortable with it, and so far (6 years and counting) it's worked just fine.

However, I do back up everything nightly in Dropbox, which means I have backup copies of ALL my active brains stored on my desktop and in the cloud. This actually saved my data (and my peace of mind) last year, when a 3rd party application suddenly and unexpectedly deleted everything brain-related on my hard drive.

That said, there are some "golden" files (thanks, Ruud, for this good description) that do not go into TB: family photos, client agreements, client reports. etc.

There is still a 3rd (smaller) category of files that I may link into TheBrain while they are part of a current, active project (many of my working client files, for example). However, I eventually choose to store most of these temporarily linked files outside of TheBrain after the project is closed out.

Hope this helps! :-)
reder
I have a Brain for work and I put everything in it. It's easier to find the attachments than using Finder (Mac). Note that for TB 10 it uses the OS search function, so if you can find it in The Brain, you should be able to search that through Spotlight (Mac) or other OS system-wide searches.

I particularly like the template feature. I have several Gingko templates that I use for writing documents. I can create a new one within The Brain with the same title as the active thought and put it right within the thought. Neat.
Rob2050
Thanks @metta!

metta wrote:
Since TheBrain is the hub of my digital life, I store almost any kind of digital file in my version 8 megabrain: order receipts, PDFs/ebooks, graphics, screenshot from web sites and webinars, written documents, music files, program shortcuts, tons of Internet shortcuts, etc.

That said, there are some "golden" files (thanks, Ruud, for this good description) that do not go into TB: family photos, client agreements, client reports. etc.

Wow, that is a lot -- I see people doing that with Evernote but did not realize with The Brain. I don't have my workflows good enough to do that, for example, I use Skitch for screen captures and it automatically saves to Evernote. 

For PDFs, I tend to read them on the iPad and so I have them all in a DropBox folder. I don't traditionally think of The Brain for that. For some of them, I hight light with a PDF App (forget the name ATM), so I am not sure if that would work from the iPad to save the updates back into the brain.
Thanks for sharing!!
metta
You're very welcome, Rob. Glad if my feedback was helpful.

FWIW, there are several reasons I made the decision to keep almost everything in TheBrain:
> ONE search tool for ALL my digital resources makes EVERYTHING easier to find. (In other words, I don't have to try to remember what i stored where.) Ã°Å¸Ëœâ€°
> TheBrain also allows me to add notes on everything I include, which makes all my saved resources that much more useful.
> Related resources can all be connected in a variety of different ways -- and each of these connections (links) can be customized.
> Disparate resources can also be connected in those instances where comparisons and/or future connectivity might be appropriate.

Re: Screen captures -- Don't know if you've discovered it yet, but TheBrain has a screen capture function built in, which is why I save all my screenshots in TB.

As for PDFs, since I'm not working on any iOS devices, I can't provide much helpful feedback regarding the type of app you are using. However, if the app can display the PDF in a web browser, the URL for the PDF could be easily added into the brain as an attached link -- and, depending upon how the link is structured, there's also a chance the PDF could be viewed inside TheBrain (either on the desktop and/or in the web client) by turning the embedded browser on.
Rob2050
I am in TB 10 -- I am not seeing Screen Capture. Not sure I would use it though, I'd have to think about it as many of mine are "throw away" (why that seems good to go into Evernote but not good to go into the Brain might reveal my usage of Evernote).

Our difference of usage makes me think about the variety of use cases for The Brain:
* bigger picture (more conceptual) capture of ideas and resources (me)
* Day to day support of projects and work activities 
* one special domain focus (climate, others)
* Tool to power ideation (more like a mind map)

Of course most people have some combination. I don't use it for my day to day activies but maybe I should try to do that more!
Rob.
ruudhein
Quote:
Can people provide examples of how you use attachments?

• PrintFriendly PDF copies of a webpage I've bookmarked
  • Screenshots
  • Images of movies, books
  • Low quality copies of photos, videos, or songs (originals are stored in Dropbox and/or Evernote)
Quote:
I guess in particular, are you syncing files in from a folder in your file system (I am mac) or ONLY storing the file in The Brain?

I move them into TB. These are either originals I don't care about (think: a printfriendly PDF copy of an IMDb page), or lower quality copies of things I have elsewhere.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | TheBrain v10.0.45.0
shatcher
In my personal Brain I keep track of tickets for things like movies using attachments. While the ticket is sent to my email, it's easier to find in my Brain. I just search for the date of the event, or name of it, and find it easily. In my email, I need to remember the name of the ticketing service, which I usually forget as soon as I finish the purchase.

Since I already have a calendar of personal events in my personal Brain, adding these attachments is super easy to remember.
dlorde
I use file attachments mainly for PDFs - articles, course documents, insurance documents, and especially manuals. Most products now come with online and downloadable documentation, so I stick it in my Brain. That way, when I need to know how to troubleshoot cloud printing on my printer, I just go to the Printer thought and the printer manual(s) will be either attached there directly or in child thoughts (along with model & serial number, support sites & contacts, seller details, date of purchase, ink suppliers, forum sites, etc.)
Rob2050
If I have folders of files, say a folder of PDFs and a folder of text MarkDown (.md) files.... can i have a "watched folder" where changes are automatically brought into The Brain (TB10)?

If I add them to the Brain is a duplicate version of the file created, or can it keep just a link to the file? What's the best way to deal with folders of existing files?
metta
@Rob2050 ~

You wrote: "If I add them to the Brain is a duplicate version of the file created, or can it keep just a link to the file?"

You can choose whichever option you prefer regarding both files and folders:
> Options > Preferences > Behavior > Content > On drag and drop of files > Select one of 3 options:
-- Move
-- Copy
-- Link to

FWIW, I never copy files or folders into TheBrain to avoid potentially confusing duplication. Instead, I recommend simply linking to existing files as your default since 30G really is not sufficient for using TB as a file management solution.

Please note that if you select "Link to" as the default, you can always selectively move certain files/folders into your brain (on a case-by-case basis) by right clicking on the attached file/folder shortcut and then selecting the "move" option.

In this context, a linked folder would automatically reflect changes made to that folder and to any documents located within that folder. However, you would not receive any kind of "watched" folder change notification -- and none of the file edits would actually be "brought into TheBrain" since the attached "link" is simply a shortcut to folder and files stored outside TheBrain.

You wrote: "What's the best of way of dealing with folders of existing files?"

My most recent answers to this question are posted in the preceding discussion (above) and in the following discussion:
> Shortcut to file/folder internal to TheBrain?

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software