zenrain
The release notes for Check for modified attachments says:
  • New utility to check for modified attachments throughout a Brain
    • This should be done prior to sync if internal file attachments within a Brain have been modified using a 3rd party utility
However, when I run this it gives me a number of modified attachments (1085 in my case). I sync, re-run the utility and it says the same number of attachments, so I can't tell if it synced the changed documents and didn't reset the number, if it's not working, or if I just don't understand the functionality.

Entering in the issues forum, since it may or may not be an issue...
macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.219
Moe
Zen, Thanks for posting. I am receiving the same results as you and have notified our engineers to take a closer look. I'll post back with the results.

Thanks,
Moe
Moe
Zen, Checking closer with the engineers they let me know that the check modified attachments utility is working properly.

In most cases, modified attachments will be automatically detected. This feature will only report finding a modified attachment if it was modified in such a way as not to be automatically noticed by PB. For example, if you open the Thought folder from PB and make a change, that modification is automatically detected. On the other hand, if you open and modify a Word document that is stored in PB via Word's recent documents list while PB is closed or in a another area of that Brain, that change may not be automatically detected.

Thanks,
Moe
mctrexler
I've been trying to figure out for months what modified attachments actually are, since I'll check and see there are 1,000 of them, and then check again and there are 4.  Since Brain always says the first thing to do if you're having problems is check for modified attachments, seems like it would be good to know what they are.

I was finally able to get a response from Brain folks: 

"From time to time, documents can be modified OUTSIDE of TheBrain.  Therefore, TheBrain has no idea that it has been edited or modified in any way.  Doing a sync, will not update these types of documents to the Cloud.  An example of how a file can be modified outside of TheBrain:

You have a word document attached to a Thought in your Brain called Office.doc.  If you open office.doc in your Brain, TheBrain will know it is being modified and everything is fine.  The next day, you open MS Word and go to Recent Documents in the application and open up Office.doc to do some changes.  TheBrain has no idea that this file is being modified.  Next time you sync, this file will not be uploaded to TheCloud.  

Running the Check for Modified Attachments will tell TheBrain about all of these outside edited docs and fix everything.

The question at hand now - why does your setting stay at 5?  It should make the fixes and roll back to zero.  I've successfully replicated this error (mine is stuck on 4) in house and will inform our engineers of the issue for review."

That said, the answer doesn't necessarily help.  When I check a Brain and see that there are 1,000 modified attachments, when virtually all of the attachments referenced in the Brain are internal and I haven't even accessed more than a few of them, much less modified them, I have no idea what is happening to cause the attachments to be identified by the Brain as having been modified.

I'm hoping that, per the email I included, the Brain people will figure out why the # of modified attachments never goes to zero (I have one Brain with a floor of 4, another with a minimum of 12."  But if anyone ever figures out why the # of modified attachments is incredibly volatile I'd love to hear about it.

Mark

mctrexler
I'm looking forward to Brain folks following up on this issue of modified attachments.  On my largest Brain the number of modified attachments has fallen to 3 from 4, so that's progress.  But as was noted by Matt, it should be 0.  So has the Brain team figured out why there are recalcitrant "modified attachments," and how to get rid of them?
bmac
I was not aware of this function.  In one Brain I have 278 modified docs.

Is a possible solution to have a function in the TheBrain to re-build the cloud - delete the cloud content and then rebuild?

I assume that with many modified attachments the issue becomes that these attachments are not viewable from the cloud.  Correct?
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Windows 10, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB ram, i7
bmac
One additional thought to my above post:

If TheBrain can calculate the number of modified documents, then it must be able to determine the location of these documents - and if it can do that, why doesn't it simply re-syncronize that thought to the cloud?
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Windows 10, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB ram, i7
pthompson
The explanation of Modified Attachments is pretty simple:

An attachment that TheBrain finds has been modified since last checking modified attachments.

In more detail, the Check for Modified Attachments report can find and update attachments that were modified and have not been updated as having been modified in the actual database. This occurs if you do not open your attachments directly from the Brain they are attached to. 

Example:

I have an attachment [Resources.docx] located at: C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Business that is linked to a Thought [Resources] in the Brain. Instead of opening that attachment from the Thought tab in the Brain that it is attached to, I open it from the location where the file exists on my machine, C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Business. If i do this, TheBrain has no way of knowing I modified that attachment because I did not open it from the Brain. In order to update this information, I need to run the utility: Check for Modified Attachments.

A reason why it would constantly show the same number after already running the utility is that the attachments showing as modified may still be open somewhere on the machine so it's continuously reading them as modified.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
bmac
Thank you Patrick. I appreciate the detailed explanation. It was not apparent to me that just by running the modified attachments report actually updates TheBrain and corrects this issue. That is good to know.
Bill
mctrexler
A couple of points to suggest that it's a bit less clear than it appears:

1.  Sometimes I'll have hundreds of modified attachments for no obvious reason.  They almost all disappear as soon as I check for modified attachments, but it's not completely clear why they show up in the first place.

2.  My main brains all have a minimum number of modified attachments.  One has 12 (never varies) one has 3 (used to be 4, but yesterday went to 3 for no reason I can tell).  So it just doesn't seem likely that those attachments are always already open somewhere on my computer. 

3.  Matt at the Brain said he'd passed the issue of "permanent modified attachments" on to the engineers, so I think someone is looking at it.  
bmac
My interest was piqued when I learned about this modified attachments functionality, but something tells me it's not working as advertised.

Yesterday, in one brain, I had 2308 modified attachments. I clicked on check for modified attachments and that number was reduced to 88 modified attachments. Today, when I opened the brain, I checked again and had 2308 modified attachments. Then I checked one more time and it was reduced to 88 attachments.

If the simple task of checking for modified attachments is supposed to update the cloud accordingly, it doesn't seem to be working. Secondly, if it's always reported 88 modified attachments on the second try, how I find out what thoughts those are so I can determine what may be happening?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Bill
mctrexler
Thanks Bill.  Sort of good to know others are raising the issue.  Very hard to know whether this issue (random modified attachments, and some level of permanent attachments) is a problem or not, but since the first thing we're always told to do when having problems is "check for modified attachments" seems like it must mean something in terms of functionality.  And by the way, congrats on 88 "permanent modified attachments."  I've never gotten the number anywhere near that!  :-)

Mark
advisors
Any update on this issue/topic ?

I have many "modified attachments", can't tell why/where, as I'm not opening those files outside TB.

I have a new instance of my brain on a PC (where my original device is a Mac).
Could that hurt ?

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software