enkidu
Hello

I've noticed this morning the 8.0.0.4 Official Release, with its pricing conditions :

Quote:
From TheBrain 7 License Only
  • Free* if a new license was originally purchased after July 15, 2013 (this does not include upgrades)
  • $99 if originally purchased before July 15, 2013
* No additional purchase or upgrade process is required. Simply install and login to activate.

TheBrain Pro License includes
  • Perpetual License for TheBrain 8 Pro
  • Does not include cloud services nor future upgrades

While I am enthousiastic about v8 and was waiting to click on the button, I can't help remembering that I paid

150$ for v6 Core
 59$ for v7 PRO upgrade

I was expecting something along similar lines, not a whopping 68% increase in the upgrade price.

I am also troubled by the clause "... nor future upgrades".
While my v7 Pro upgrade policy got me nowhere, it's good to know that I will not have to pay for each & every dot-release bugfix of TheBrain.

In other words :

- I find a 68% increase in the price of ANY product quite ridiculous, more so for an upgrade
- I *might* be willing to dish out 99$ instead of 59$, if that will cover all version 8.x upgrades.

If the 99$ only gets me v 8.0.0.x, then no.

perplexed cheers
enkidu

HeinrichUnger
Hi Enkidu,

I saw the 8.0-0.4 only as a beta not as an official release?

BR
Heinrich
enkidu
Hallo Heirich

check the Release Notes PDF

cheers
enkidu
HeinrichUnger
Hi Enkidu,

you are right in the release notes it is nominated as Official release.

But at the official download side it is still V7 from July 2012. In the store on some subsites V8 is described as Beta Release.

I assume an error in the release notes of 8.0.0.4

*smile

BR
enkidu
to be honest I'd prefer it's an error in the pricing page !!

;-)

cheers
enkidu
HeinrichUnger
HeinrichUnger wrote: you are right - pricing should be optimized

[biggrin]

He..now there is a Transition guide to V8 on the documentation side - so I think you are right, we are watching the birth of V8

[confused]
pthompson
First, the release notes are not an error. You guys on the forums are just ahead of the game and notice these sort of changes before most people. [wink] We'll be doing the official change to TheBrain 8 shortly.

Second, enkidu, everyone's price to upgrade to TheBrain 7 was different. The official base upgrade cost to TheBrain 7 from PersonalBrain 6 Core at the time of release was $59 and the base upgrade cost to TheBrain 7 from PersonalBrain 6 Pro was $100.

Please keep in mind that we no longer have a Core version of the software and Core was much more limited in function than our current releases. Your PersonalBrain 6 Core license was purchased on 03/26/12 and TheBrain 7 license was purchased on 05/23/12. This is only a two month difference so you were able to upgrade at that base cost. It's been more than a year since that upgrade and you have a Pro Edition of the software so the upgrade is $99.
enkidu
Mr Thompson

thanks for replying (and researching ;-)

Ranting is one of my pastimes, but I appreciate the efforts that TheBrain has put in the Desktop version in the last few months.

As long as all version 8.x updates are included in the 99$, I am more than willing to upgrade.
I will do so shortly.

thanks for being a timely & active presence in this forum. Keep up the comm !

kind regards
enkidu

pthompson
enkidu,

Yes, sorry I did not touch on that. All updates are included in any license so you will get any fixes and updates that come to TheBrain 8. The "... nor future upgrades" part simply means upgrades (to version 9, for example) are not included in the cost like the ProCombo. You'll simply need to pay another upgrade cost when we release a new version.
enkidu
OK I've put my money where my mouth is.

I have just purchased the v8 pro license, and this morning I have migrated my main brain to v8.0.0.4

kind regards
enkidu
bmac
I too would like some clarification on the upgrade costs and what it really covers. In particular, what does "upgrade" mean -- incremental version changes within 8.X, or major upgrades-8 to 9?

Further, I am somewhat perplexed about this pricing. I thought I had remembered an earlier post indicating that version 8 would be a free upgrade for version 7 Pro users. Either that was incorrect or it was posted by someone without the authority to make that comment. But I am troubled by the cost for this upgrade because, as people have pointed out previously, most of the changes are fixes that should have been provided in version 7. The amount of raw functionality improvement is nil (I'm sorry, supplying icons to attach to a thought does not really increase the functionality value of the product).

In addition to the above, I'm not satisfied that version 8 is really "RTM". And what assurances do we have that the version 7 issues of not addressing repeated cries for bug fixes will not be repeated? Based on the performance during version 7, not sure that I'm ready to upgrade.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Windows 10, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB ram, i7
enkidu
hello there

if it's the icons that trouble you, you know you can use them in v7, just dump the /app/icons folder from v8 into the folder where you keep your brains ... ;-)

cheers
enkidu

bmac
it's not that they trouble me, I just don't place a high value on their use and would not consider justifying part of the price increase because of that.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Windows 10, 256 GB SSD, 8 GB ram, i7
enkidu
Bill, I was joking of course.

we agree. I personally still want to see a couple of significant enhancements (feature additions, NOT bug fixes) before I consider TheBrain to be truly useful.

cheers
enkidu
pthompson
bmac wrote:
I too would like some clarification on the upgrade costs and what it really covers. In particular, what does "upgrade" mean -- incremental version changes within 8.X, or major upgrades-8 to 9?

Further, I am somewhat perplexed about this pricing. I thought I had remembered an earlier post indicating that version 8 would be a free upgrade for version 7 Pro users. Either that was incorrect or it was posted by someone without the authority to make that comment. But I am troubled by the cost for this upgrade because, as people have pointed out previously, most of the changes are fixes that should have been provided in version 7. The amount of raw functionality improvement is nil (I'm sorry, supplying icons to attach to a thought does not really increase the functionality value of the product).

In addition to the above, I'm not satisfied that version 8 is really "RTM". And what assurances do we have that the version 7 issues of not addressing repeated cries for bug fixes will not be repeated? Based on the performance during version 7, not sure that I'm ready to upgrade.

Bill,

An upgrade is major version to major version. i.e. Version 8 to Version 9 or Version 9 to Version 10. An update is a change to the current version. i.e. Version 8.0.0.4 to Version 8.0.0.5.

TheBrain 8 is a free upgrade from TheBrain 7 if you have a Pro Combo subscription or if you purchased a Brain 7 license after July 15th, 2013. This is also described on our Upgrade Page.

Our engineers are proactively fixing reported issues on a daily basis. Some are deemed more important than others and will be worked on in order of importance. With a userbase of over a million and only a few reporting a certain issue that is not software breaking, we cannot fix every bug right when it's reported and need to focus on other issues that are affecting more people first then move on to the other issues.

Is there any particular issue you are waiting to have fixed? I will try to get our engineers to look at it sooner rather than later.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software