I was hoping to have a discussion around the V9 WebBrain (WB)
My understanding is some of the features have been completed in TeamBrain and need to be rolled into WebBrain V9. Hopefully someone from TheBrain can confirm that.
From day one I have gone with one Mega Brain for my day-to-day use of TheBrain and have created smaller Brains which I would share using V8 WB.
I have moved most of My Brains over to V9 and I still need to be able to share these smaller Brains. Most of the WB's that I publish will be read-only versions.
This is a discussion around some of the items I feel could be improved upon in V9.
I am using V9 WB and MindManger V18.1 as a comparsion to explain my points below. I love WB but I need to be able to share the Brains I create with our users in a easy way that they will understand and use.
WebBrain V9 - Interface
- The whole top menu bar (Sign Up, Terms of Service, Not Logged In, Log In)
- Most of our WB will be read-only, this will only confuse our users!
- Sometimes the note window will load the website, other times no.
- Being able to open links into a new tab.
What we would like to see:
- Being able to add our custom branding and URL to the interface.
- Add a Menu tab and move Sign Up, Terms of Service and Log In under the Menu tab.
- Add a print option in Menu (like MindManager - see below).
- Being able to configure the display/non-display of the full URL of a Brain (MindManager currently just shows the main root - https://share.mindmanager.com there is nothing afterwards - see MindManager - Interface below).(*There are pros and cons to this. In WB I would like the option to turn this on or off so that certain WebBrains could not be book-marked/saved)
- Being able to configure how the notes panel is displayed on the V9 WB (Could be different than V9 desktop).
- Check out the tool bar for MindManager below (Menu - Search - Collapse - Focus - Fit - -/+ Zooming), I think they have done a great job. In WB, Collapse or Focus do not make sense, but Fit and Zooming could be added to the WB interface to allow the current Thoughts to be maximized/minimized.
- The MindManager search has a # of #, Previous and Next. I do like how WB search is always available, but It would nice to have both the MindManager and WB search features.
- The little arrows & double arrows at the WB brain/notes interface are hard to see and most users wouldn't have a clue how to use them. However, I’m not sure how to make them better.
The goal of the WB interface is for users to actually make use of the knowledge we are sharing with them. Unfortunately, the V8 & V9 interface is too much about the tool and not the content. For example:We like how MindManager has allowed the customer experience to be about the map and the people who created it (through custom branding), not about Mindjet, the tool. Yes, we do get a lot of people asking how we do things and we always let them know what tool we use and where to find it.
MindManger - Publishing Live Example
Here is a small Mind Map that I have published so you can see MindManager web publishing in action.
MindManager - Interface
- Branding - While the mind map is loading our Branding is showing and it also appears in the bottom right corner (clickable).
- The web URL is hidden - it can't be bookmarked, so you need the actual link to get back there.(*There are pros and cons to this. Again, in WB I would like the option to turn this on or off.)
- Clean interface
- Toolbar at the bottom
- Search, Collapse, Focus, Fit, Zoom In/Out with Slider
(I like all the features, but as I stated earlier Collapse and Focus would not be something that make sense in WB)
- Menu tab (this is where MindJet gets their dues)
- Printing under Menu (Being able to print a section of the MindMap)
- I have never liked the MindManger help system (but we aren't talking about help or manuals in this discussion)
Over-all I like the MindManager web interface and how it works.
MindManager - Publishing
MindManager - After being published. I like the ability to post on Social Media sites.
MindManager requires that you publish your map. This also applies to any updates to that map.
MindManager - Publishing - Screen 2 (Advanced Options)
- I like the option of being able to Require a Password to View.
- We don't need Allow Downloads or Presentation Mode for WB.
- And we definitely like the options for our custom logo & hyperlink (This is really important to us!!!)
I just wanted to share what I saw working out there and how we would like to see V9 WebBrain enhanced for a better user experience.
Please let us know what key features you require or would like to see for the V9 WebBrain.
TheBrain (Beta 10.0.25.0) 188.8.131.52, iOS V9.1.2, TheBrain 184.108.40.206
Windows 10 (V1803), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.13.5
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)