gerard_boterman
I am running The Brain 7, latest version on a 64 bit Windows 7 fast CAD PC, dual monitor.
The second monitor displays my Brain with many links (Internet, files, network) and relevant information for my work.
Frequently I click on the second a plex and the Brain is not responding for a couple of minutes as if working in the background or something.
How can I stop this from happening?
Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks, Gerard

Harlan
Hi Gerard,

Do you have links to files on your network? This is the most likely cause. TheBrain is attempting to access those files to see if they have been changed. When TheBrain does this, Windows sometime does not respond, which causes the pause.

Regards,
-Harlan
gerard_boterman
Yes, heaps of links - is there a way to disable this from happening, so the Brain will only access these when required or opened?
Spacenexus
After experiencing excessive lags, freezes and slow responsiveness in 7045 which had been building up ofr a couple of months, i uninstalled, ensured the original Brain program directory was removed and performed a fresh install.

I don't have the precise explanation for it, but performance improved considerably and so far have experienced no lags or freezes.

I don't use networked resources, but the reinstall did make a difference.

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
peekay
Did you find a solution?

gerard_boterman wrote: Yes, heaps of links - is there a way to disable this from happening, so the Brain will only access these when required or opened?
enkidu
I noticed that disk fragmentation significantly impacts TheBrain's speed : a Brain is actually lots of tiny files, so if they're all over the place, that may become a problem.

cheers
enkidu
Spacenexus
As an update, changing my disk to a solid state hard drive also dramatically reduced lag.

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
zenrain
As a side note to the issue with links to network files causing issues, when I did run into this, I removed the link to the file and create a link in the note instead.
If you run into this, it's a good way to stop the slowdown, but retain access to your links. [smile]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
gerard_boterman
Thanks for all the feedback. I still have issues in how quick the Brain starts up or responds.
Start up time is 46 seconds.
I have got a high spec HP Elitebook 8730 work station which I use for CAD, so it is not the system.
My hard disk is well maintained and defragged.
I have not tried moving links to notes yet, but will try this. But then again, I like to have my links under the Thought tab. That is where these belong, isn't it?
Thanks, Gerard
jostber
For this issue I would send this to support@thebrain.com to get this registered as a ticket. They might recommend you to rebuild the brain which shuld be quite straightforward.
TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

gerard_boterman
I have contacted support several times. The replies I receive have never been very helpful - sort of as they were not interested.
Spacenexus
Gerard, depending on the size of your brain. I want to clarify a possible confusion here (no doubt on my part). Zenrain suggested you move the network links to notes. He is of course referring to links to files on OTHER computers on your network. Do you link your brain to other computers? I've not done this for years so can't comment but you are also correct, generally, all links to files on your computer can reside within the thought normally.

As for the startup time, large brains do take time to get going. It's not just yours. Mine can take in the order of minutes to start. However, once it's all activated, the performance is then good. I've also found the Rebuild Instant Search Index sometimes helps avoid the freeze.

I found the biggest difference in performance occurred when upgrading to a hybrid solid state hard drive (SSHD), vastly improving performance of the TheBrain files, apparently improving performance over a normal hard drive by up to 5x for frequent data that is stored in the dedicated SSHD memory. The SSHD firmware has clearly identified TheBrain files as part of the regular high use files and now stores that in the cache. I would describe the result anecdotally as going from brain freezes 75% of the time down to less than 5% of the time (unmeasured guess).  of course, an SSD would provide even faster performance, but at a price.

Hope that helps

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
jostber
I can testify to that a SSD drive really speeds up performance. Have that in my new Asus Zenbook.

The new version v.8 Beta with improved multi-threading seems very snappy as well so that might improve the performance for brains that have slowness issues.

enkidu
performance troubleshooting <> shooting in complete darkness

Mr Harlan himself answered concerning network links.

having a powerful machine in and of itself is meaningless : you can bring a 64-core server to a halt with the wrong mix of applications.

- what is the size of the brain in question (# of thoughts and bytes-on-disk)
- what is the CPU usage BEFORE and AFTER you run TheBrain.exe (without opening your brain)
- what is the CPU usage AFTER opening your brain ?
- what is RAM usage before / after opening ?
- what are your Brain JVM RAM settings ?
- what applications do you run at the same time (if any) ?

et caetera

cheers
enkidu

jostber
For faster startup time check if turning off "Check for major updates on startup" in preferences helps. Also check if your Java version is the latest update.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software