danlandrum
I'd like to find other TB9 users who happen to be using a late 2015 iMac to see if they have similar issues. My specs are in my signature. Any takers? Anything close? Here's a demonstration video using TB9.0.120.0. 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
Hi Dan, we are arranging to get access to the same model iMac that you are using so we can do some testing directly on it. Hopefully we will be able to solve this within the next week or so.
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
Excellent news. Thanks. 
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
Hi Dan,

We've got your identical machine here but with 8 GB of ram. Currently it is running El Capitan and TB9 works perfectly. Fast at full screen no matter what the preferences are set to and even with a very large (250,000 thought) brain.

Did you use TB9 on your machine before upgrading to Sierra? We will update the machine to Sierra shortly, but before we do we want to test to ensure there is nothing wrong when running El Capitan.

Second question: What resolution do you have your screen set to? In Preferences > Displays, if you choose "Scaled" there are 5 possible settings from left to right with the middle being the default. I have tried all of them without any issues but I want to replicate what you are doing as close as possible.

Another suggestion for you to try... Please create a new user account on your Mac and login as that user. Then install nothing except TB9 and test it out. Let us know if this helps.
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
Quote: Did you use TB9 on your machine before upgrading to Sierra? We will update the machine to Sierra shortly, but before we do we want to test to ensure there is nothing wrong when running El Capitan.

I stopped using TB for a few months after realizing it needed to be a littler farther along in development for my comfort level. So, the answer is no, at least I didn't see it as stable enough and I really don't have a recollection in terms of speed.

Quote: Second question: What resolution do you have your screen set to? In Preferences > Displays, if you choose "Scaled" there are 5 possible settings from left to right with the middle being the default. I have tried all of them without any issues but I want to replicate what you are doing as close as possible.

I'm set to default. Though I did experiment with the scaled setting to see if it might solve the problem. It didn't.

Quote: Another suggestion for you to try... Please create a new user account on your Mac and login as that user. Then install nothing except TB9 and test it out. Let us know if this helps.

I just did as you suggested and it performed exactly the same as my regular user account. I even disconnected all drives, external everything, etc. for the new user. Same response. 

Looking forward to what happens when you upgrade to Sierra! Thanks for your continued attention to this. I've found that if I keep the window smaller than half the size of my monitor the program is usable on Sierra, if just a little jerky.

As an aside, this is amazing software and I can't wait until you guys get the inbox turned on. I've used OmniFocus and TheBrain side by side for quite a few years now with the exception of the hiatus I took during the early development stages for TB9. I feel so much more comfortable and confident navigating within TB9 vs OF, and the reports function is so fast and familiar that I'm looking forward to going all in for GTD and project management. I know folks have grumbled about the calendar function, but for me, that need always been best met externally, specifically because I use so many shared calendars. 
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
Hi Dan,

Thanks for trying all that. Good news, sort of... The problem is macOS Sierra. Running on El Capitan everything is perfect. Updated to Sierra and immediately we are seeing the same problems as in your video.

The problem is that this means that we are not doing anything that is really wrong - it's a change that Apple made that is causing something that used to work to stop working. We will investigate and try to find the solution, but it could be very difficult for us to track down and fix. I'll let you know what we find as we investigate further, but basically we are going to have to change the way we do things to make Sierra happy if possible.

If you would like TB9 to work properly on you 5K iMac immediately, you'll need to roll back to El Capitan. It's not easy, but it is possible.

So glad to hear your enthusiasm re TB9 for GTD! [smile] It's always good to hear positive feedback as the forums tend to focus on problems and feature requests most of the time... Yes, the inbox will be a big addition of functionality that we have so many ideas for how to make it really shine.

We actually have a surprise or two up our sleeves for the Calendar, but it is going to take a bit of time as it is another big development project. [wink]

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Cancel that... No need to go back to El Capitan nor even to install a new version of TB9!

Here is the temporary fix:
  • System Preferences > Displays > Color
  • Change "Color profile" from "iMac" to "Generic RGB Profile" or "sRGB IEC61966-2.1"
  • Restart TB9
Instant 60 frames per second animation and no flashing! (Ok, 40 FPS if your brain is maximized full screen with no content, but I bet you would have a difficult time telling the difference).

I know this is not ideal as it would be nice to use the profile that matches the monitor. We'll do some further digging to find out why the color profile is slowing everything down... The reason this is not happening on other machines is that the retina iMac is one of the only machines that ships with "wide color" and Sierra is the first OS to attempt to take advantage of it fully.

Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum

Fantastic. What a crazy difference and I can work with that.

I might set up a Keyboard Maestro routine to automatically swap the profile back to the wider gamut when doing video work. The wider gamut is also easier on the eyes in general, but that's a perceptual thing and we easily adapt. The whole color management field is quite complex and a truly scientific approach would have you switching it often, depending on final product, for instance whether photographs will be viewed online or printed. 

Thanks again for your diligence and I'm kicking myself a bit for not trying that. It did occur to me but I brushed it off thinking, no way. As it turns out - way. 

[biggrin]

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software