BSTD
Hi all -
I just stumbled over a feature I didn't know existed: You can follow virtual thoughts though all your folders without having to import but one. With a folder containing a link to another folder connected to your brain as virtual thought, the linking is imported too.
So I was able to follow virtual thoughts through my file system, even though I had added only one folder as virtual thought.
See the image attached. "Icon Collection" being my original virtual thought (folder). The link shows up as a jump. The target folder, "shell32.dll" leads to a bunch of others on my hard drive - interesting external link!
Anyone noticed that, too?

- Ben
Click image for larger version - Name: Zwischenablage01.png, Views: 206, Size: 733.66 KB
tcahill
Yes, I noticed that last night, when I was navigating a virtual folder. Well, actually, I noticed something similar. The virtual folder happended to contain the brain folder of the plex I was navigating. When I navigated into the brain folder's "Files" subfolder, I found myself in a child thought of another thought in the plex (the folder for the thought's parent thought). It was odd that this was a one-way navigation. There was no link back to "Files" thought.

That's clear as mud, isn't it?

Click image for larger version - Name: virtual.png, Views: 168, Size: 33.50 KB Click image for larger version - Name: virtual1.png, Views: 167, Size: 21.73 KB
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
rtimmer
It's even better than that. Shortcuts to folders within folders are shown as jumps of the container, whereas normal folders within folders are shown as children of the container.

Roelof
tcahill
Here, I've replicated what you've discovered. I've created a symbolic link "/Link" in the folder "/windows" that I have all of my VFAT and NTFS (i.e., windows) partitions mounted in. "/Link" points to my root folder "/". Then I've created a virtual directory in PB that points to that /windows directory.

This creates a circular path. In both of the images below, the parent virtual thought is also one of the child thoughts. Click image for larger version - Name: link.png, Views: 166, Size: 68.89 KB Click image for larger version - Name: link1.png, Views: 163, Size: 52.89 KB
tcahill
rtimmer wrote: It's even better than that. Shortcuts to folders within folders are shown as jumps of the container, whereas normal folders within folders are shown as children of the container. Roelof

That might be something to do with the difference between how windows and linux treat links. I'm not seeing the jump link.
rtimmer
Just to illustrate what I just posted: Partner Portal is a shortcut in the folder Technical Partner Program.

tcahill
By the way: navigating to the root of your file system, then clicking Expand view results in a very cool view of one's directory structure. Unfortunately I think I broke my brain.
Harlan
Yup... Windows shortcuts to folders in virtual thoughts are shown as jump thoughts. Note that virtual thoughts are not "imported" - just visualized in real time...

If you want to import a folder, there is a command to do so under the File menu.

Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
One very interesting oddity in the way PB treats the intersection of Virtual thoughts and symbolic links under Linux: In making the screen shots above, I clicked my way numerous times through the circuit from folder through link to the root of the file system back to the folder and through the link again. The funny thing was that when I wanted to return to the plex, I was surprised that the link out of the virtual though wasn't available. I immediately wondered if I would need to circle back thought the circuit the way I had come the same number of times I had gone through it going forward. Sure enough, the link back to the plex didn't re-appear until I had completely retraced my steps. There was definitely something akin to magic going on. I'm guessing that this might be an unintended consequence rather than a design goal?

Harlan
the symbolic links are just interpreted as sub folders - PB doesn't know that's not really a different folder. interesting - you're right, it was not planned that way.
Regards,
-Harlan
LSelock

I have a folder called Papers which contains hundreds of sub-folders for various authors.  Each author's folder contains PDF files for which that author is the primary author.  There are also links to files in other folders where the author is a secondary author.

I can drag the Papers folder into PB4 and it becomes a virtual thought, which when selected shows all the authors' folders as more virtual thoughts.  Selecting an author's folder shows me all the pdf files and links in the Properties & Attachments tab.  As expected, I can open a pdf or link from the P&A list.  All very nice.  Thank you for such an intuitive interface.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, one very pleasant surprise is that links show up as virtual jump thoughts.  Selecting the jump thought for the pdf link shows me the virtual thought for the primary author's folder as its parent and all the secondary authors as virtual jump thoughts.  I can't even begin to express my appreciation for this brilliant handling of the links. Well done!

Unfortunately, I notice that all those links are using the folder icon, which leads me to wonder what happens when I try to open it, and sure enough PB is very confused.  Too bad.  What I'm thinking is a great feature may actually be a bug, which Harlan confirms by saying that all links are just interpreted as sub-folders, but I'm hoping that can be fixed.  If this had worked as I initially hoped the virtual thoughts that are actually links to pdf files would open the file just like it does if you select that link from the P&A tab.

Which leads to the question of the link appearing as a child of the primary author when selected from a secondary author's jump.  To me, that works exactly as expected, but selecting the primary author directly doesn't show the pdf files as children, which feels a little odd.  I understand why – it's because PB doesn't know there are links pointing at that file.  

Perhaps there could be a Preference to display files of virtual thoughts as more virtual thoughts.  Of course, this assumes that "fixing" the above mentioned bug that all links are assumed to be folders doesn't break the wonderful behavior I've already observed.  If you really want to be slick that setting should be associated with each virtual thought, but that would require finding a place to store the attribute, which may be too much to ask for this release.

Elmar
LSelock wrote:

Perhaps there could be a Preference to display files of virtual thoughts as more virtual thoughts.

I would appreciate such feature as a global setting.

Elmar.
Harlan
Harlan wrote: the symbolic links are just interpreted as sub folders - PB doesn't know that's not really a different folder. interesting - you're right, it was not planned that way.

The above comment refers to Unix symbolic links, not Windows shortcuts. Windows shortcuts are handled separately and that is why they appear as jumps. Based on LSelock's comments, it sounds like there may be something amiss here. We'll check it out. Thanks for all your comments on this feature.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software