schulze
I want my wallpaper to fill the complete background (no tiles). When I set up a wallpaper in the Preferences dialog I always get a black background (I checked with different images). When I define a wallpaper via the clipboard it always comes too large and is cutt off, even if I agjust it to screen size and dpi before coying.

Second point: Can I hope for a better (user-adjustable) starting page in the final product?

Joerg.

mcaton
Joerg,

Thank you for posting.  I have been unable to replicate the black background issue you've described.  What is the file type and size that you are selecting?

Regarding the clipping, it is very difficult to determine a 'perfect' size for Brain wallpaper.  Since the Brain's screen size is adjustable both left/right and up/down, plus the many different screen resolution possibilities your OS may have, clipping is often going to take place.  

My personal opinion for wallpaper settings is to pick an image that is 640 x 480 (that's generally the size of my plex) and uncheck the Tile Wallpaper option.  Even if my plex is a little larger than those dimensions, TheBrain will scale the wallpaper evenly in both directions (no distortion).

Regarding the user-adjustable starting page, we'd love to hear your suggestions.  TheBrain 7 is still in development.

Thank you,
Matt
schulze
Thank you for your answer.
The background problem partly diappeared. My graphics software preference was set to CMYK color mode export, which TheBrain obviously dislikes.
Scaling seems to remain an issue as long as Notes and Thought windows are docked and not floating about.
The launch screen, however, is still unattractive.I attached a screenshot. Is this what it is meant to look like?
Thank you for your time.

Joerg.

Click image for larger version - Name: launch_screen.jpg, Views: 317, Size: 69.05 KB
mcaton
Joerg,

These boxes will display a thumbnail if a custome wallpaper if it has been applied to your Brain.  Please try adding a custom image as your Brain wallpaper and the box in this screen should be updated.

Thank you,
Matt 
schulze
Matt,
Thanks. That's what I thought should happen.
However, it does not.
I'm sending you two sample wallpapers I use in different brains. They do appear as wallpapers, but my launch screen still looks like my previous attachment shows.
I know it's only cosmetic, but still...

Thanks, Joerg.

Click image for larger version - Name: wallpaper.png, Views: 308, Size: 848.77 KB Click image for larger version - Name: wallpaper.png, Views: 311, Size: 513.09 KB
schulze
Dear support team,
May I remind you of this topic?
If you have no solution it would be nice to say so.
Thank you.

pthompson
Joerg,

Are you using the latest version of TheBrain and Java? 

Aside from checking on that, I generally find it best to use a wallpaper that matches my actually screen resolution. For example: my screens resolution is 1920x1080 so I add a wallpaper to TheBrain that is the same size. It depends on the type of wallpaper used (in terms of design), but I've found that this ensures for the best scaling. 

If you would like, we can set up a Web Meeting to go over these issues in person. If this interests you, please visit support.thebrain.com and send in a request.

Regards,
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
schulze
Patrick,

Yes, all versions are brand-new. The idea of the web-meeting is nice, but not very practical because of time zones (I'm in Germany).
To pinpoint the problem again: The wallpaper issue is resolved (CMYK vs RGB - see my posting above).
What remains unresolved are the thumbnails on the starting screen. I am using wallpapers like the ones attached three posts earlier and get a start screen like attached four posts above.
Any idea about that?

Thanks again,

Joerg.

mcaton
Joerg,

Thank you for posting.  I have managed to replicate this issue and will report it to our engineers for further review.

Thank you,
Matt
schulze
Additional observations:

Thumbnails will appear after a webbrain sync. As long as the brain is only local, no thumbnail is created. This should help to solve the problem.
I do need to ne able to work without a live internet connection.

Alternatively, it might be a good idea to allow the user to select a thumbnail image. The synthetic version I received looks like Picasso on speed.

Please give me a starting desktop that helps me organise my work.

Thanks,
Joerg.

zenrain
You can upload a custom thumbnail image when you are viewing the list of brains in WebBrain. Click the Settings link next to your brain, and then Change Image.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.222
schulze
Thanks for the hint.
However, some of my brains (namely their attachments) are just too large for webbrain so I would love to have that thumbnail setting in my local software. I also want to keep my options open if I should decide to cancel my webbrain account some day.

Joerg.

mcaton
Thank you for posting.  The custom image that will appear in this list will happen for online Brains only.  These thumbnail images are actually a feature of WebBrain that appears here in your available Brain list. Brains that are only stored locally will not have a thumbnail in this list.

Thank you,
Matt
schulze
Matt,
thanks for answer that I read some days ago. Frankly, I hoped for something more to come, like "we are going to change that" or the like. My initial reaction was: You can't be serious. I use the Brain for presentations a lot. Basically it is a nice and logically looking switchboard to images, texts and PPTs.
What I have to present to the audience when loading / switching brains  is just a mess.
Webbrain is a nice little extra, but much too fragile and limited for professional use. The real product most customers here pay for is the local application. I sometimes feel you people forget that.

Joerg.

pthompson
Hello All,

This issue has been addressed in a Recent Update of TheBrain. Release Notes information:

o The images for local Brains in the list of Brains are drawn using their wallpaper and colors.

Regards,
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software