zenrain
I've only used Wander on a few occasions over the entire time I've used TheBrain. I've seen some feature requests come though, so people are using it, which makes me curious.

What do you use wander for?

Also, the few times I did test it, it sorta stuck around the same area and sometime cycled through the same thoughts a few times. 

Do you have specific regions of your Brain you use it?

Once again, just curious, I'm always interested in adding new tools to my tool belt. [smile]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
zenrain
Aha! Sometimes just asking the question brings some clarity. I just used Wander on Jerry's brain and found some interesting sections that I would probably have never explored on my own. So do you use it as a discovery/revisiting method, or are there other reasons as well.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
metta
Here's one use case: I've created a neural retraining program using TheBrain, and after my clients work through the training content once in a linear fashion (since the concepts build upon one another), I recommend starting the Wander function in the (huge) Resource section to explore all the supplemental materials they have not yet seen.

As you saw with Jerry's brain, the Wander function a great "discovery engine" especially in larger brains with lots of hidden gems.

I've also been toying with the idea of creating a brain focused on meditation-type reflections with graphic icons on each of the thoughts. My assumption was that, if the Wander function could be slowed down sufficiently, it could actually nurture a "soft", open focus that would allow the user to watch and wait until a particular image or thought name caught their attention -- at which point the Wander could be turned off and the user could contemplate the reflection and image before them.

For my own use, Wandering helps me get reacquainted with areas of my megabrain that I haven't visited in a while, and it is occasionally helpful is revealing potential connections (relationships) between thoughts and sections of my megabrain that I might not yet have made.

Admittedly, the cycling problem you mentioned below can be a bit of a nuisance, particularly when sharing a webbrain with others.

However, this is actually part of the reason I personally would like to see the Wander function further refined, with enhanced user control options, especially in the webbrain.
enkidu
Hello zenrain

I'm sure I already said elsewhere that the Wander function, as it is today, is equivalent to taking a stroll in a forest, hoping to find (NOT looking for) mushrooms.

Said differently : it's cute, it's fun, you MIGHT stumble upon something.
But that's NOT what we invest money & time & effort into a brain for.

It would make more sense to me to tell TheBrain : "look for concept1, concept2, ..." and instead of getting flat , textual report, I'd get a mindmap view (expanded view, in current Brain8 parlance) of the concept and it's relations / dependencies.

So, instead of "wandering aimlessly", I'd rather "let's go & see what's there !"

so there !
cheers
enkidu
zenrain
Thanks metta, all those uses make sense.  The meditative reflection idea is particularly creative and I could see being quite useful. Thanks for the reply!

enkidu wrote:
Said differently : it's cute, it's fun, you MIGHT stumble upon something.

Yes, this was originally my perception of it also, which is why I raised the question. I think I'm starting to see with further refinement that it could be a useful tool in larger databases (or specifically targeted smaller ones). But yes, I also agree that TheBrain has a lot of opportunity in discovery and finding relationships. However, that topic has been well covered elsewhere. [smile]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
mctrexler
I'm not sure I'd realized Wander was even an option in Webbrain, so that's good to find out. I've always thought that Wander could be a VERY powerful tool, and talked about it years ago with Brain folks.  Three points as of today:

1. As Metta notes it runs a little too quickly to be useful for people not familiar with TheBrain.  Even I have trouble grasping the thought before it moves on, and I built the thing. And if you have an image or something in the Notes field, even less able to absorb. 

2.  Wander is for some purposes most useful in an enormous Brain, but also least useful in the absence of some ways to direct the Wandering.  Being able to Tag thoughts, and then have the Wander operate within a particular Tag or group of Tags would be extremely useful.  

3. Being able to specify the order of the Wander (I know, that's not really Wandering) would make TheBrian a great presentation/display tool for conference booths.  

4.  I think I will experiment with building a separate small Brain specific for Wandering purposes, per Metta's effort.  Although I suspect that the speed issue (#1) makes it a non-starter for potential users (wouldn't that take 2 keystrokes to change at the code level?)

Mark
Brigitte

The speed option to control the "Wander" function has already been added as a feature request. I will add your suggestion to specify the order of the "Wander" feature.

Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies

pthompson
Thanks all for your feedback. We'll be sure to take this into consideration in upcoming changes.
metta
Thank you, Patrick and Brigitte, for carrying this feedback forward to the design team! 

Also, please note my +1 for being able to:
> slow down the wander speed and
> wander based on specific tags (Great idea, Mark!)

Thank you also, ZenRain, for your kind feedback -- and enkidu, I love your delightful wandering-in-the-forest-mushroom-discovery analogy (although I know you were requested a more directed form of searching). ;-)

Mark, I also appreciate your thoughtful and systematic reflections about the wander speed and special applications for the wander function. Please do keep us posted about any brain(s) you design specifically for wandering!

Moltaire
The delightful wandering-in-the-forest-mushroom-discovery analogy here is brilliant.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software