BobBlum
This is one of those seemingly little details, but it's standing in the way of my moving from Brain8 to Brain9...  and I'm not just a casual user.  (I've used TheBrain for over a decade and it gets its own monitor on my desktop to display its 20,000 thoughts.)

Web Client seems to be the new term for what used to be called the WebBrain.  That's what your user community (of casual READERS) sees when they Google into your uploaded Personal Brain.  

Here's my issue.   As it stands now,  the uploaded brain in the new Web Client (for Brain9) defaults to displaying the PLEX vertically to the left  (that is, side by side) with the NOTE displayed vertically to the right.

That SQUEEZES the PLEX and limits the number of PINS at the top.

Rather,  on my home desktop, the PLEX (displayed ABOVE)  horizontally with the NOTE below has twice the room to spread out.  Confused?

Here's a sample of each.

Brain 8 in "horizontal mode"  plex above the note:

https://webbrain.com/brainpage/brain/34BD79C0-881A-1BDC-C715-86927849D505#-15504

Brain 9 in "vertical mode"  plex to the left of the note:

https://app.thebrain.com/brains/34bd79c0-881a-1bdc-c715-86927849d505/thoughts/0b8bc84a-5cc1-5575-a31c-34118fc4607e/notes

(also note the difference in speed of display of the plex... another issue.)

This is a problem if there are a lot of PINS or if the displayed tree is really bushy.

Here's my request:  allow the user  (that is... me;  as opposed to my web readers)  the option to set the DEFAULT to be either horizontal (Plex on top) or vertical (Plex to the left) for the Web Client.

You and I know that you can toggle between these settings by clicking the tiny icons at the bottom of the border between the plex and the note field.  But casual, first-time readers struggle to find those or even to know that those are there.   (Those  icons need some kind of attention-grabbing flags to alert casual readers to their presence (perhaps... hover-over enlargement.)

Thank you for your diligence.  (I've previously discussed this with Sean at HQ several months ago.)

Bob Blum
metta
A related issue is the disappearance of the "More Pins" button in TB9.
==> Are there plans to restore this button any time in the near future?

FWIW, I too am waiting to migrate into TB9 for public/shared brain projects in large part due to missing or broken features in the web client (e.g., the "Back" button in the Chrome browser does not currently work beyond 1 step, and the "Forward" button doesn't work at all).
BobBlum
Thanks, Metta.  I "second" your suggestions.  Our casual, first-time readers/ first-time Brain users especially need the features you mentioned.   Bob
metta
Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your support for making TB9 web client as user-friendly and easy to navigate as possible, especially for individuals who are new to TheBrain.
mcaton
Thanks for posting original issues mentioned by Bob and the "more pins" request have been documented.

Thank you,
Matt
metta
Thanks for confirming, Matt. Appreciate your help with this follow-up and documentation.

Also, where do things stand with back/forward navigation in Chrome?
metta
Bob, are you also having any problems with the pins in the web client not displaying in the correct order?

Just now discovered in one of my test brains that the pins do NOT match my desktop -- and the order is jumbled in 2 different ways, depending upon whether I'm logged in or out.
BobBlum
Hi Metta,

Yes.  Some inexplicability in the selection and order of displayed PINS.  Brain8 => WebBrain(8)  does preserve the order of PINS on my desktop but the web version seems to randomly remove some of the thought types of the PINS.

In the Brain9 to Web Client upload, the order of the PINS and selection of PINS is permuted especially in VERTICAL mode.  (logging in or not doesn't seem to change these for me, but I believe your experience.)

Since the guys need to prioritize what to work on,  these problems would be lower on my prioritized list than the problems we discussed above -  which are (hopefully, temporary) deal-breakers for switching from  Brain8 to Brain9.  Ever hopeful.
metta
Thanks for confirming, Bob. It always helps to know what others' experiences have been.

I also realize that with a long list of to-do items and fixes, TheBrain team's priorities are likely to be different than my own, so I'm watching and waiting to see what changes have been made in each new release.

😉

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software