brakes
Hi Community
Is there any documents where I might be able to learn how to embed my notes into .css style sheets. Or do i have to write the .html in something like dreamweaver then attach it to the brain? Is there more info on how to utilize the capabilities of the notes section? Am I in the correct location to be asking these questions. I am somewhat surprised there is not more action on these forums. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Evan
PBrain 5.5.2.2
J-1.6.0_7
Quad6600@2.4Ghz 8gb ram
Vista 64-bit SP2
dyslucksia
Hi Evan, welcome to the forum.

Zenrain is the one to ask as he's the CSS expert. Here's his latest word on Notes 5.5.

The bottom line for me is that although we used to have to rely on editing our own notes.css which you'll find in the res(ources) folder in your Installation directory, just to compensate for Notes' quirkiness, not only is it not quite as necessary now that Notes is behaving better, it's becoming increasingly difficult to influence Notes via its CSS file in the latest version (see zenrain's post, also read his earlier ones on Notes).

To prevent overwriting your custom notes.css file, and to tailor it to each Brain, put a copy in each Brain's _brain folder.

PB stores its Notes material for any given Thought in a subfolder of that Thought's folder, in a folder with the reserved name of PersonalBrain Notes. Normally this file is empty except for images, as the real HTML is stored encoded in binary in a lob.db (Large OBject.db) file. You can force it to produce a simple HTML file named PersonalBrain Notes.html, by creating a virtual folder to an external folder on your hard drive, scribbling something into Notes, then examining the contents of your hard drive folder, where you will find this extra file.

That's where the trail ends. This file looks innocent enough, but it states that it is designed to be rendered by the EditLive! module, so all the smoke and mirrors is in the way it's rendered, not the CSS you give it. If it doesn't like your CSS (and it won't), it will steam ahead and render it its own way, so unless zenrain can come up with more ideas, I'm afraid you're at its mercy.

If (in HTML view) you simply paste in html created in another editor and don't disturb Notes by doing any editing in it, chances are that EditLive! won't change anything, so you can do it this way, but it gets pretty tedious after a while.

This doesn't bother me personally much since I long ago gave up using Notes to do anything fancy and simply want it to perform faithfully as a plain text editor, with the minimum of extra formatting. If you want anything more than this, you should consider adding an HTML file as a file attachment, rather than use Notes.

Please correct me if I've committed any gaffes here.

By the way, don't waste time trying to search for "CSS" in this forum. The search engine here is so crummy that it won't search on three letter words such as CSS, tag, log and all the other useful terms (even color), nor has it learned how to search on phrases. You're better off using Google for this purpose.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
zenrain
I'm not sure if your question is about seeing your .css note modifications in PersonalBrain or in the export.
In 5.0x and lower, it was such that the notes tab would refer the notes.css file in the PB program folder, or the notes.css file in the database folder for your custom formatting. I believe it first looked for customization in the database folder, and then in the program file folder.

Any customizations to the notes.css file would apply to both the notes in PB, and also would be assigned to the notes section when exporting to a WebBrain. So, all you had to do was customize your notes.css file and it would be used when exporting. The html code in the notes pages automatically referenced the notes.css file, and your custom changes would carry over when you exported to a sitebrain.

However, this has changed in 5.5. As far as I'm aware, the only customization you can apply to the notes.css file (that PB will reflect in the notes) is to the following margin code. All other changes will be ignored.

P {
margin-top: 0pt;
margin-bottom: 0pt;
}

Honestly, I haven't tested adding a fully customized .css file in 5.5, and seeing if it is used in the SiteBrain export (or in a hosted Webbrain). I would think for at least a sitebrain export, if the notes.css file doesn't retain your customization you can overwrite it after the export process, but you will probably want to verify that.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
brakes
Perhaps I should start asking questions that I might be able to understand the answers!! I would like to eventually have my brains auto input into structure to look like this...

http://www.branam.com/

I'm sure there has to be an enormous learning curve, but if there were some resources on "how to", I would be grateful.

How my PB looks to me is trivial, I am more focused on the export.

Thanks for all the input.
PBrain 5.5.2.2
J-1.6.0_7
Quad6600@2.4Ghz 8gb ram
Vista 64-bit SP2
zenrain
This should get you started, or at least give you some ideas about how to start customizing.
http://groups.google.com/group/personalbrain-users/web/sitebrains

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
ChrisCase
"Perhaps I should start asking questions that I might be able to understand the answers!! I would like to eventually have my brains auto input into structure to look like this...

http://www.branam.com/"

I was looking at this, and noticed you opted to have the SEARCH button appear,  but I  can't figure out what  it is supposed to do,  When I activated it in my Sitebrain, it simply resulted in the instant search ceasing to work.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software