jotapa
I use The Brain to collect and classify information from the Web - companies, people, and products, for example, that are relevant for my work. Version 8 had some functionality, but it wasn't enough when I used it - one of the reasons I gave up on The Brain.

Using the integrated web browser, we should have the option to extract automatically, classify and store information from the Web - like DevonThink does (DevonThink offers extensions for popular Web Browsers like Safari and Chrome but I am not even asking for that).

Let's imagine we browse a company using the embedded browser: http://www.microsoft.com
We press a button and The Brain will:

- Create a Thought automatically populating the link to the parent thought.
- Create a suggested thought name by interpreting the URL - strip http://www. and . com to get Microsoft.
- Create the Icon
- Create a description using the web page description
- Create an attachment with the Web Page content on the creation date. Add a second attachment with the "current" web page content that could be refreshed on demand.
- Provide the option to select links from the home page that should be stored as child - like "About" or "Products" or "Contact Us".
- Allow for Type and Tag classification in an easy way.

For particular websites, the system should be able to collect metadata automatically. Naming only the two most important sites:

- From LinkedIn, TB should be able to create Person, Companies and Groups Thoughts with fields such as name, role, company name or group name, company logo, person photo. 

- Same thing from Facebook.

When we are storing news or blog posts, for example, The Brain should recognize the URL and offer to create a link to a parent Thought.

For instance, we create a Thought for The Brain Forum.

Later, we see in the forum a post with a feature request and press the button to store and classify it in the brain. The tool will read the URL and understand that a Parent thought already exists (it is the Forum Thought we created before) and offer to create a link from this new post to the existing Thought.

This is useful if we want to add thoughts to reference new products, new blog posts with relevant information, ..., and keep them organized without forcing the users to do the hard work of looking for the parent thoughts and classify everything manually.

We should also have a thumbnail visualization of the page when we hover a web page Thought, big enough to let the user decide if he wants to open it.

Sorry for the long post. Guess I have high expectations (again) for The Brain... let's see how long it lasts.

Regards,
Joao Tapadinhas

pthompson
Joao,

All great suggestions. Thanks.

A lot of what you suggested already does happen and some of your other suggestions will be coming in TheBrain 9. Take a look at our Brain 9 forum to see what's coming.

We will be sure to share your thoughts with our team.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
Moltaire
Agree that this would be a great set of features.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software